Stone Glacier Chilkoot 15 degree sleeping bag

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got back from a 4 night, 5 day solo high country backpack hunt for mule deer.
I had only spent one night during the summer in this sleeping bag so I really hadn't had a chance to test it out.
Temps were fairly mild with the lows in the mid 20's and I sleep warm. The chilkoot was almost too warm this time around but it is a really nice very roomy bag and super comfortable. And that's sleeping on a flat air mattress for 3 nights.😡😡
So, if you are looking for a well made warm and roomy sleeping bag, the 15 degree chilkoot may be your huckleberry. I'll also be using it the next couple of weeks during elk hunting so I'll have some additional input.20231019_124143.jpg20231019_124202.jpg

Randy20231017_192834.jpg

Looks like a great campsite! I have the zero degree and it’s too warm for most situations. Tend to sleep with it unzipped unless it’s quite cold out. Would like to try out the 15 but not sure if it’s worth buying another or just dealing with it.

Looks like a great campsite! I have the zero degree and it’s too warm for most situations. Tend to sleep with it unzipped unless it’s quite cold out. Would like to try out the 15 but not sure if it’s worth buying another or just dealing with it.
I’m in the same boat. The 32 degree quilt is looking pretty good for most of what I use it for

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Randy-

I see your airing your bag out, is that from normal condensation/perspiration overnight?

prm

WKR
I’m in need of a new bag. Got totally fed up with my current mummy bag. Need enough room to roll without bag rolling. Will add this to my list. Is the footbox large enough to keep boots down there? Also looking at Western Mountaineering Badger and Kifaru Slick bag 20deg.

edit: just saw how long it is, probably fine for me to put boots down there.

Last edited:
OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m in need of a new bag. Got totally fed up with my current mummy bag. Need enough room to roll without bag rolling. Will add this to my list. Is the footbox large enough to keep boots down there? Also looking at Western Mountaineering Badger and Kifaru Slick bag 20deg.

edit: just saw how long it is, probably fine for me to put boots down there.
Yes, footbox would be large enough.

Randy

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
I did a 14 day October stone sheep hunt in Northern BC using the 15 chilkoot. It’s an amazing bag! I am typically a cold sleeper, night time temps ran typically 30-15F and I was sweating in this bag most nights.

And moisture or condensation from my wet clothes would push through the bag and be outside the water resistant shell in the morning. Inside and down would be dry and warm. I was hesitant bringing down on this hunt as I usually run synthetic bags, but I’m completely sold on this one.

Yup it’s a fantastic bag. I’ve had them all including multiple Western Mountaineering bags. I just like the peace of mind with the water resistant down. I just had a hunt night temps were 32 degree and had to leave bag open with one leg out to not overheat.

dtrkyman

WKR
Remi Warren was talking about the Chilkoot in a recent podcast, said it is the best bag he has used for wet hunts and drying out inside the bag.

He didn't mention which version he was using but he was sheep hunting with it and the 15 seems like the choice for that hunt?

If I need to dry out in my bag every night on a hunt I am probably not going...haha

@mtnwrunner
If you were primarily hunting in second and third season type Colorado weather, do you think this 15° bag could get you by with some layers or would you go to the 0°?

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtnwrunner
If you were primarily hunting in second and third season type Colorado weather, do you think this 15° bag could get you by with some layers or would you go to the 0°?
Hmmmm...........I sleep warm so I know I would be able to do a 15 degree, especially with layers. I think if you were a cold sleeper, you may want a 0 degree, HOWEVER, I have been doing the hot water nalgene bottle for years so even a 15 degree sometimes gets warm.

Randy

@mtnwrunner
I sleep better wearing minimal clothing but have slept in my Chilkoot 15 to nearly 0 by adding a puffy jacket and sweat pants. I can't wear puffy pants in it. Most nights, I don't even zip it all of the way up. I just lay 3/4 in it with a fleece hoody.

Also, I've posted it before, but a hot hands in there will cook you out.

On another note, we had serious condensation inside the tipi earlier this year. I put my sheet of window film over the bag because we were getting rained on (inside). The bag was pushing my moisture through and getting condensed under the film, I was better off to just leave the bag exposed.

Kanbe1

FNG
Thanks for this info. I've been looking at the SG bag too. I run a Kifaru Slick zero that I love, but I'd also like to have a down option.

Just got back from a 4 night, 5 day solo high country backpack hunt for mule deer.
I had only spent one night during the summer in this sleeping bag so I really hadn't had a chance to test it out.
Temps were fairly mild with the lows in the mid 20's and I sleep warm. The chilkoot was almost too warm this time around but it is a really nice very roomy bag and super comfortable. And that's sleeping on a flat air mattress for 3 nights.😡😡
So, if you are looking for a well made warm and roomy sleeping bag, the 15 degree chilkoot may be your huckleberry. I'll also be using it the next couple of weeks during elk hunting so I'll have some additional input.View attachment 617142View attachment 617144

RandyView attachment 617150
Dang, you must have good balance to sleep up there!

I’m wanting to get a down bag for some hunts, and the Chilkoot 15 seems like my favorite option. I’m a warm sleeper too, and have been plenty comfortable in the lower 20’s in my 20 degree slick. Being synthetic, it’s lost some loft and want a bag that holds up for colder hunts in the future, and having another bag for when my wife comes with me since she’s shown some interest in backpack hunts, so even in mild temps, she would appreciate having a warm bag

Would this bag be good for a late Aug north slope caribou hunt? I am up in the air on a 15 or 0 degree. Plan on doing some Colorado and Wyoming rifle elk hunts as well and don't really want to have to buy 2 different bags.

Would this bag be good for a late Aug north slope caribou hunt? I am up in the air on a 15 or 0 degree. Plan on doing some Colorado and Wyoming rifle elk hunts as well and don't really want to have to buy 2 different bags.
This bag is easily good to 15 - 18 degrees comfort rating wiht only base layers. I sleep cold and have personally had mine to 16 degrees and was warm and comfortable with only base layers. I could put on puffy pants and jacket take it to 10 degrees easy.