Stone Glacier SKY 5900 Concerns

Westy35

FNG
6900 and 7900 are both great. They pack down well when the space is not used. My preference is to have more space than I need - makes it easier to find gear when it’s not crammed in, and when you need the volume for 10 day (or cold weather) hunts, it’s there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigger the better in my opinion. I have a 7900 evo (discontinued) from SG that’s great and I’ll swap the evo 3300 for day hunts.

Thats the nice thing at SG packs you can switch them out.

_jeff_

FNG
I have the sky 5900 and I cant imagine needing more room. I think it is the best all around sized pack. I do a lot of weeklong backpacking trips with a smaller pack and have never had an issue. I thin people carry too much stuff though that they don't really need. If you like to take everything you own with you then maybe you'll need a bigger size.

I spent a lot of time deciding on a 6900. Went back and forth between it and the 5900. I eventually made the decision because my biggest issue with my old pack was lack of any pockets besides the lid and access only through the top and a sleeping bag compartment zipper around the bottom. I actually went to the Stone Glacier headquarters in Bozeman and tried on frames to get that figured out then checked out all the bags and went home and read and thought about it for a month. The 6900 won because of the two side pockets with zippers and the full length bag zip for access. I did do 9 days this year in my old pack, crammed full. When you go longer than 6-7 days more space is needed. When you shoot something space is really nice because your pack load basically doubles.

I just switched from the MR Beartooth and ordered the SG 5900. Glad there was some pretty good feedback in here, I am thinking I made the right choice.

Can always add an access bag for an extra 900 cubic inches. However it comes down to packing. food Is number one, I often bit Mylar bags and repack dehydrated meals. Pack way tighter. Water source where you are going Is another issue. have done many trips of this length out of this bag! All the best!

tyshel

FNG
FNG here with 2cents. I’m currently trying to decide bt the new K4 Exo pack and an SG. Time to upgrade from my old MRanch. I’m in a similar predicament as Bergy about the size I want to haul around. However I’m looking at about 5-7 day trips. After trying out a friends 5900, it seems hard to beat. Including belt pockets and a hydro lid, it’s more space then I ever see myself needing. And for shorter trips, it folds away pretty nicely, basically settling to an almost packed out 3600. But I’d like to see how the K4 frame handles weight.