Stone Glacier

I am getting ready to retire my KUIU ICON Pro 5200 I am going to replace it with a SG , I am looking for insight on the shoulder straps & hip belt , how comfortable are they & do they stay in place once cinched up with & without a load on them ? Also I am looking to stay as close to 4# as possible Not worried about the 150# load capacity I will never have over 100# in one. Anyone have any actual hands on experience with the Avail 2200

TxLite

WKR
I have the solo. This is my first season with it but it’s been great. Packed out 2 pronghorn and did quite a bit of hiking with it with 40-50lb in it.

The Xcurve fits me great and I didn’t have any issues with it slipping. I really like it.

The only downside in my opinion is the lack of pockets and storage in the bag, but I understand that’s part of the deal with the minimalist idea.

Outwest

WKR
I have the solo. This is my first season with it but it’s been great. Packed out 2 pronghorn and did quite a bit of hiking with it with 40-50lb in it.

The Xcurve fits me great and I didn’t have any issues with it slipping. I really like it.

The only downside in my opinion is the lack of pockets and storage in the bag, but I understand that’s part of the deal with the minimalist idea.
X2

I just switched from Kuiu to SG and found its a lot more comfortable with heavy loads and requires less "tuning" once set.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used an X Curve for several years now. Shoulder straps and hip belt stay in place with no slipping or movement and it’s very comfortable. Multiple moose and caribou pack outs in addition to putting plates in it throughout the winter (treadmill incline) and summer (hikes). The pack works fantastic with 45lbs in it.

I have the solo and sky guide bags for it. The camp pocket and large accessory pocket are for stuffs and I have a swing out pocket for my first aid kit.

jmez

WKR
I have an Avail and an X curve. You don't want 100 lbs in the Avail. It's not built for that type of hauling. I haven't, nor would I, even attempt to haul that kind of weight with it. It is a great day pack, it's not a hauler.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

OP
O

Thanks the Solo was one of my choices also

OP
O
I have an Avail and an X curve. You don't want 100 lbs in the Avail. It's not built for that type of hauling. I haven't, nor would I, even attempt to haul that kind of weight with it. It is a great day pack, it's not a hauler.

Thanks yeah I didnt figure the Avail was geared for much more than 50 or 60 #s looks like it has the internal frame, how is it for day packing or maybe hauling horns

OP
O
I’ve used an X Curve for several years now. Shoulder straps and hip belt stay in place with no slipping or movement and it’s very comfortable. Multiple moose and caribou pack outs in addition to putting plates in it throughout the winter (treadmill incline) and summer (hikes). The pack works fantastic with 45lbs in it.

I have the solo and sky guide bags for it. The camp pocket and large accessory pocket are for stuffs and I have a swing out pocket for my first aid kit.
Thanks, I was figuring on the Xcurve frame as well & either the Solo Kiowa-Approach-or Col 4800 I do alot of horn hunting in the spring & summer also. looks like the frame & maybe an access bag would be ideal for that setup.

inkedspot

FNG
Avail is a good small daypack. You don't want to haul anything with it. I have an Xcurve and have a Solo 3600, Sky 7900 and just got the Approach to consider replacing the 3600. The Approach so far seems like a great day hunt bag to ride on an Xcurve so that you could still haul something out. The 3600 is also an good day hunt bag but I prefer the external spotting scope pocket and tripod catch for the leg on the approach for the way to carry my stuff

jmez

WKR
Avail is great for day packing. I've never put horns in/on mine. I wouldn't load it with 50lbs either.

The Avail has a thin HDPE sheet, probably 1/16", for a 'frame sheet.' It has just about zero load carrying capability. All of that weight will be on your shoulders.

The Avail is a great day pack with up to 20-30# in it. Can’t imagine carrying any more than that. It just doesn’t have the right stays or lift height for heavy hauling. Great for a day pack, treestand pack, airline travel, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
As others have said, get the frame packed with a smaller bag. Or go the internal route and get the Terminus. I had 130lbs in it for a deer one trip pack out a month ago, it felt fine. IMO, the SG shoulder straps are the best. Waist belt is really good too.

Alaska92

FNG
The Avail attaches nicely to the Krux or the XCurve and turns into the SG version of the Kifaru Stryker XL. I do this frequently.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't help you on the smaller packs but I have the xcurve frame along with the 5900 and 6900. Very nice packs, carry low weights well along with whatever you want to carry. Packs are such an individual piece of gear but one thing I can tell you about Stone Glacier is that they are a great company, outstanding customer service and a money back try it out for 30 days service.
Get what you think you want and give it a try......nothing to lose.

Randy

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I made the same switch that you are looking to do a year ago. I went from an icon pro 5200 to SG x curve with a sky talus 6900. Honestly don't have anything horrible to say about the Kuiu but it is built to be more ultralight and when I had heavy loads it was pretty uncomfortable. The Stone hip belts are much bigger and sit and wrap around my hips better. The Kuiu would ride down a lot for me with weight in it while the stone stays put more. . Shoulder straps are also thicker and overall more comfortable for me.

OP
O
Appreciate all your input I will stay away from the Avail Will more than likely go X-curve & the Solo Evo 40/56 or Col 4800