Stop And Smell The Roses

cbeard64

WKR
I am nearing 60 and (unless I draw again in the states) have likely gone on my last sheep hunt. Sheep hunting has been a big part of my life for over 20 years now. I have been extremely blessed to take all four NA species in four hunts.

I just wanted to give a little unsolicited advice to all you younger guys or guys going on their first sheep hunt: slow down and enjoy the whole experience. Success is important but it’s not everything. Sheep hunting challenges you and lets you grow as a person as you meet those challenges. The alpine country has a beauty found nowhere else on earth. Stop a little while and enjoy the breathtaking sights. Close your eyes and listen to the water gushing out of a mountain seep. Marvel at the soaring eagle, the sound of a whistle pig announcing a stranger in his country, the mama grizzly turning over half-ton boulders with ease so her cubs can get to the moth larva underneath, and a thousand other sights and sounds you may never experience again.

I am so grateful for the gifts chasing rams has given me, most of which can’t be put on a wall.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
As I have hit my mid-30’s, I have been thinking more and more about this. Last year chasing elk, I was intentionally focused on soaking in the “non-hunting” aspects of the trip, and it amplified my experience 10x. With my first sheep hunt approaching at the end of August, I can’t wait to experiment sheep country for what it is…..one of the last pristine places on earth.

I remember standing on top of a mountain looking 360 degrees and only being able to see one little one mile or so section of the Alaska highway. Everything else was just mountains. Truly God's country.

VernAK

WKR
As you get older, this will become far more important to you. I cringe when I read some of the threads posted but I do realize the OP just doesn't have the same frame of reference as I have after a lifetime of hunting mostly in Alaska.

Every other year I fly into my favorite moose location with no intent of shooting a moose but I spend hours behind the glasses.......and drink a lot of coffee while taking it all in.

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice. I pulled my first sheep tag this year, DBH in NV. I have had a blast already just doing the research, talking with people, getting access lined up etc. And I haven't even set my eyes on a sheep yet. So many people willing to take time and give some advice, share their experience and encourage me along the way. I have several long weekends planned for scouting, starting in two weeks. And will be able to take almost the entire month away from work for the hunt if needed.

Your suggestion is what I try to do with all my hunts these days. With a young daughter, my hunts this season will be a bit different with having a little toddler along with me and my wife. Scouting for antelope this summer has already been a super fun family affair. I take nothing for granted and cherish every moment. Watching her discover and explore the world around her brings so much joy to me. Like the day we spent among the mormon crickets last month, she was enthralled by the masses of them moving around on the ground. And was chasing them as they scurried across the roads, giggling the whole time.

I hunt for many reasons, but one of the most important reasons for me is exploring new places. When hunting, I get to travel to areas that I typically wouldn't have a reason to be in otherwise. Going to places many others haven't been, or never will go to. A successful hunt for me isn't measured by killing an animal, but by enjoying the experiences along the way. The highs and lows. Every moment out in gods country. The time spent with friends and family that are a part of the hunt. Heck, I don't even need to have a tag in my pocket to thoroughly enjoy a hunt. Sure, I would prefer to fill my tag and have a freezer full of meat, but that is just icing on the cake for me.

I hope everyone, not just sheep hunters, can take your advice and slow down and enjoy the hunt.

Jdog

WKR
I am nearing 60 and (unless I draw again in the states) have likely gone on my last sheep hunt. Sheep hunting has been a big part of my life for over 20 years now. I have been extremely blessed to take all four NA species in four hunts.

I just wanted to give a little unsolicited advice to all you younger guys or guys going on their first sheep hunt: slow down and enjoy the whole experience. Success is important but it’s not everything. Sheep hunting challenges you and lets you grow as a person as you meet those challenges. The alpine country has a beauty found nowhere else on earth. Stop a little while and enjoy the breathtaking sights. Close your eyes and listen to the water gushing out of a mountain seep. Marvel at the soaring eagle, the sound of a whistle pig announcing a stranger in his country, the mama grizzly turning over half-ton boulders with ease so her cubs can get to the moth larva underneath, and a thousand other sights and sounds you may never experience again.

I am so grateful for the gifts chasing rams has given me, most of which can’t be put on a wall.
Nailed it right here...slow those hunts down. Soak it all in. My fondest memories of sheep hunting are those spent with my brother grinding a tough hunt out. Not the actual kills.

RyanC

WKR
Man this has never been described better!! When I was living in Alaska I had the opportunity to go on a few sheep hunts. My second sheep hunt in particular I completely forgot to do just as you described. It was a 10 day hunt and we had early success with 2 out of the 3 of us notching tags on day 1 and day 2. I was the last one left with a sheep tag in my pocket and 8 days to fill it.

As the days passed by and we hadn't located another legal ram I was feeling the pressure build. With only a couple days left and many miles behind us I began getting a bad attitude and my buddies could see it. We stopped on the side of the mountain at one point and had a heart to heart. After a long discussion, I finally relaxed and found the adventure in the whole process again. I had put so much pressure on myself to join my 2 buddies in their success that I got lost in the process.

I never did notch my tag and as I look back on that hunt there are entire days I don't even remember.
It is hard to slow down and enjoy the process sometimes, but better advice has never been given.......it is such a privilege to spend time in the mountains and share the landscape with our wildlife.
Don't take it for granted, one day you won't be able to hunt the high country and all you will have are the memories......make the most of it!!