storage - cold garage

AZ8

WKR
Hey guys.

I'm in between houses for about 6 months. Only place for my safe is in the unheated garage. Temps here do drop into signal digits and below zero frequently....7,000+ elevation.

Im more concerned about my optics. Is it safe to keep the binos and rifles with scopes in the cold safe all winter?

def90

WKR
Probably OK but possible condensation may be a bigger issue, you might want to look in to a Goldenrod. They are dehumidifiers that work by heating the air inside the safe and pushing the moisture out of the safe through the gaps in the safe door. Won't keep your safe toasty warm but should get it up a few degrees over the outside air temp and dry the air inside. Could wrap the safe in a water heater blanket as well.

OP
AZ8

AZ8

WKR
Yeah, the condensation is what I’m concerned about. I might just bring all optics indoors.

Depends a bit on what you are storing.

those heat based dehumidifiers like a golden rod really only raise the temp a degree or two. Because the interior of the safe and the guns are warmer than whatever is around the safe, moisture condenses on other stuff and not the safe contents. They work but not fool proof. Chemical dehumidifiers help too But need to be changed. More often if the safe is opened frequently. I use both in my basement safe.

biggest issue I can think of is batteries. Low temps can cause battery leakage. If you have to store your gear in those temps remove all batteries, including the watch style flat batteries in scopes, etc. bag them up and store them someplace that won’t get that cold. Lithium batteries do better but it think for long term storage you should remove them as well.

Reactions: AZ8
My safe is to big for the house and has been in a garage for 15 years.
I have a golden rod in the bottom and one of the chemical things that you can plug in and it heats up to rejuvenate its self.
Never had any problems i can tell.
Gets into the low teens here often.
My garage is insulated tho. So I never think inside the garage is as cold as outside.

OP
AZ8

AZ8

WKR
IMHO I'd rather answer that question about condensation this winter in my safe than next fall on a hunt.
Never had condensation issues ever in the field. All alpha glass. My optics have always sat in the safe during the off season.....in Mesa! Lol.

I was just wondering if there were any possible issues 4 months in a cold garage. North facing garage with no insulation.... it gets cold in there! It’s like a walk in freezer all day! Lol

Anyways....decided to just store inside the house.

Peteyur

FNG
I use a golden rod also. I also throw any and all bags that come in new shoes or other things that have a bag full of little round balls that soak up moisture. I believe the golden rod has made the biggest difference for me.