Straight vs Angled spotter?

dwhicker

FNG
I was leaning heavily towards an angled spotter but after looking through a straight one today it grew on me a bit. Have you guys found things you can and can’t do with one or the other? I love to digiscope, has anyone found it easier to use one or the other for that? Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
I personally hate angled spotters, but i use mine out the window of a pickup most of the time. I also love it for digiscoping, but would think angled or straight would work the same for that

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG
I personally hate angled spotters, but i use mine out the window of a pickup most of the time. I also love it for digiscoping, but would think angled or straight would work the same for that

Window mounts certainly would favor straight spotters. I’ve heard you can get away with it by rotating an angled scope in the collar. That way you’re looking through it sideways.

Tried angled because everyone swore by it. Went back to straight. If you glass off a tripod straight is the way to go IMO. You can swap between spotter and binos without having to adjust tripod height. Other than that I typically glass from a high point at a downward angle and the straight is more comfortable in a seated position. If my glassing was routinely from standing I would prefer an angled for a shorter overall height.

-angled easier with multiple people different height.
-angled closer to the ground which is nice when it's windy.
-angled good for glassing uphill. But with rotating collar, once you're used to it, can be used to glass downhill as well.
-I think the glassing position is more comfortable with angled.

-Glassing from window mount and target acquisition are easier with straight and it's easier to pack.

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG
I have heard a few people say that optically straight spotters are better due to light refraction in a straight tube vs an angled object. Anyone know if there is any validity to that?

nobody

WKR
I’m squarely in the angled camp for several reasons.

1. More relaxed glassing position. It’s hard enough to “pirate glass” with one eye, no need to crane your neck under itself with a straight spotter and make it worse.

2. Angled spotter = lower to ground. More stability, smaller tripod, lower profile on the hill.

3. An angled spotter works for many different statures. I’m 5’11”, my dad is about the same. But my 3 other brothers are all much taller at 6’3”, 6’4”, and 6’5”. If we all used straight spotters we would have an issue with sharing glassing setups. “Hey bro come look at this bull I found in the spotter” is easier because I don’t have to stand on my toes to see through theirs and they don’t have to squat all weird to see through mine.

4. Glassing uphill is much simpler with an angled spotter. Just aim it up and look straight into it. Glassing downhill all you do is rotate the scope in its collar and look slightly sideways into the eyepiece as the objective points downhill.

The ONLY advantage I can see with a straight spotter is immediate target acquisition when switching from binos to spotter on the same tripod. That said, with practice, I have zero issue finding game in my angled, it just took practice.

At the end of the day, it’s all pole vaulting over mouse turds. Just pick what’s more comfortable and go find game!

I have heard a few people say that optically straight spotters are better due to light refraction in a straight tube vs an angled object. Anyone know if there is any validity to that?

I’ve read that, but I’ve never read it anywhere that I would deem a “credible source.” If there are any differences, I bet they’re so small they’d only be measurable by a machine, maybe not even then.

For me, angled spotters are more comfortable when glassing for a long period of time. The straight spotters make my neck hurt... especially when glassing the same elevation or uphill.

I can make most situations work with an angled spotter. Except for glassing from a window mount. Even with a rotating collar, that can be a challenge.

OP
dwhicker

dwhicker

FNG
I’m squarely in the angled camp for several reasons.

1. More relaxed glassing position. It’s hard enough to “pirate glass” with one eye, no need to crane your neck under itself with a straight spotter and make it worse.

2. Angled spotter = lower to ground. More stability, smaller tripod, lower profile on the hill.

3. An angled spotter works for many different statures. I’m 5’11”, my dad is about the same. But my 3 other brothers are all much taller at 6’3”, 6’4”, and 6’5”. If we all used straight spotters we would have an issue with sharing glassing setups. “Hey bro come look at this bull I found in the spotter” is easier because I don’t have to stand on my toes to see through theirs and they don’t have to squat all weird to see through mine.

4. Glassing uphill is much simpler with an angled spotter. Just aim it up and look straight into it. Glassing downhill all you do is rotate the scope in its collar and look slightly sideways into the eyepiece as the objective points downhill.

The ONLY advantage I can see with a straight spotter is immediate target acquisition when switching from binos to spotter on the same tripod. That said, with practice, I have zero issue finding game in my angled, it just took practice.

At the end of the day, it’s all pole vaulting over mouse turds. Just pick what’s more comfortable and go find game!

I’ve read that, but I’ve never read it anywhere that I would deem a “credible source.” If there are any differences, I bet they’re so small they’d only be measurable by a machine, maybe not even then.

That’s great insight, thank you! I do a lot of glassing from the top down and i have worried about glassing below me but you make it sound like it’s not bad if you rotate the scope. That’s exactly what I wanted to hear.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Angled all day. Much more comfortable for long glassing sessions. Doesn’t take long to get used to the change from a straight spotter to angled. Loosen the collar and twist it if you use it for your vehicle situation mentioned.