Struggling to find deer in CO

rhendrix

WKR
Well after 5 days, 18 miles of hiking and glassing a ton I can confidently say there are no deer above timberline in the southern portion of the Holy Cross at this point and time. Since I can't find them by glassing, what are some of my alternatives? Sitting on water? Still hunting through timber? Something has to give here, because this ain't gonna work.

Last edited:
OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
No deer at all? How about other hunters?

Got here on Sunday, right at the tail end of Labor Day weekend, and there were so many cars parked by the trailhead that we had to park a half mile or more away. Once we got up to the Lames it was a zoo, people and dogs every where. Got over the pass and people camped back there too. Heard a dog barking in the basin below me Monday morning. I'm assuming all the activity pushed them out, but I talked to some guys on the way in from Denver who were on the way out and they said they didn't see crap either, and they'd been hunting since Friday.

Last edited:

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot, that's tough. I have limited experience (one unsuccessful mule deer hunt under my belt), so take anything I say with a big grain of salt.
Where we were, it only took one blown stalk to empty a big basin of the deer we had spotted. It took too long to figure it out, but I'm pretty positive that they fled to the nearest timbered draw. Also, the biggest deer I saw wasn't in the big basin w/ cover, tons of forage, and water, he was in the steep, super rocky draw behind where we and other hunters were glassing the nice basin from.
I would say try still hunting the timber, only cause I wish I had on my hunt. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Felix40

WKR
Good luck man. I was able to find 3 bucks on our entire trip. Frustrating to say the least when I have been covered in deer previous years without a tag. I don't have much advice. Just letting you know you aren't the only one who had issues this year.

Felix40

WKR
Btw we did a night of family camping probably less than 5 miles from you on Labor Day weekend. Probably the busiest I've ever seen it. Lol

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
Im in pagosa springs, not seeing much for elk, and have not seen any big muley bucks. Been here a week, heading up to wyoming tomorrow

Could you try up around Half Moon Pass trailhead off of Tigiwon road (i think it's FS road 707)? It's northeast of Holy Cross Mountain and not too far south of Minturn. I've been up there a few times and have normally seen quite a few deer.

Shawn

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Good luck man. I was able to find 3 bucks on our entire trip. Frustrating to say the least when I have been covered in deer previous years without a tag. I don't have much advice. Just letting you know you aren't the only one who had issues this year.

Yeah the general consensus from everyone I've talked to this year has been brutal to say the least man. Saw your update on TBH, pretty sweet picture, and I'd call that stalk a success man.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Could you try up around Half Moon Pass trailhead off of Tigiwon road (i think it's FS road 707)? It's northeast of Holy Cross Mountain and not too far south of Minturn. I've been up there a few times and have normally seen quite a few deer.

Shawn

On my radar, so are some spots in 36 and 361, thinking about just saying screw it and buying a cow tag. Ive got a bead on some elk already.

LJ Buck

WKR
Hunting CO is different now. I hunt a spot i have never seen another hunter and the deer stay in their summer routine until mid sept but after all the new people either walking through or setting up camps in the bottom of basins that are holding the deer, the larger deer disappeared a week ago. I hate hinting them in the Timber when they know i am after them:(

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
just got back from Colorado last week, finally found some bucks in small bowls and ridges very close 2 the road, 1 mile of less but it was not an easy mile.

glass some good stuff saw nothing.

Bar

Banned
I see lots of bucks and bulls, but i'm hunting for bear. Go figure.

I'll be after a buck in late Oct. I have the advantage of being able to scout a lot. I don't hunt where I see other hunters. That's getting harder and harder to do, but it does make it easier if you can find spot with solitude.