Subscriptions

isu22andy

WKR
Is it just me or is everything join/ subscribe for go hunt , onyx, basemap, garmin inreach, XM radio, dish network, internet, ect drive people nuts. God dang, Idk how some of you justify 300 bucks a year for GoHunt and OnyX for one western hunt a year . Its nuts. What are some of the hunting things you subscribe for ? I use OnyX all the time but considering gohunt has me wondering if its worth it .

Brendan

WKR
So, I don't use "OnX" anymore, I use Gaia because it has the same functionality at about $40 a year. Tried Basemap, and am letting the subscription run out.

GoHunt if you time it right can be one subscription for every two years, and for me it's only worth it in certain years. (Subscribe around now and you can use it for this year's and next year's hunts depending on what states you're applying to). You can also wait for Black Friday deals and subscribe then for next year.

Inreach I pay only for a couple months in the fall - that's a safety issue and being able to let people at home know I'm okay. Pretty much mandatory.

At the end of the day though, one western hunt a year is costing me no less than $1500 - $2K. If there are little things that are going to help me be more successful and plan better - it's worth it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just me or is everything join/ subscribe for go hunt , onyx, basemap, garmin inreach, XM radio, dish network, internet, ect drive people nuts. God dang, Idk how some of you justify 300 bucks a year for GoHunt and OnyX for one western hunt a year . Its nuts. What are some of the hunting things you subscribe for ? I use OnyX all the time but considering gohunt has me wondering if its worth it .

Man I’d say if you’re only hunting one state a year, I’d be questioning goHunt too. I like the service and because I jump around a few states, it’d be worth it (mine is comped) if I had to pay for it, but not for one state that I had basic knowledge on.

Mapping app pretty essential but if you own the paper, and somewhat know the area, might be able to let that one go too.

Satellite messenger pretty standard I’d say as it’s a safety item and sure makes people back home feel better about you being gone.

I like onX and use it a lot, but if money were an issue, it’d just be BaseMap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Go hunt i dumped...i apply across the board in everything except the three west coast states and even with that its no longer worth it for me....you can get top rut for 30 bucks a year and its major time saver.

Onx is getting switched basemap pro...cheaper and just as good if not better.

Inreach i will pay at 10times the current price and its a bargain for me. Way cheaper then getting served divorce papers at elk camp.

TSimons9

FNG
You can still purchase OnX for a whole year no subscription. I agree with you the subscriptions for things are getting ridiculous.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I use Onx, not only to hunt multiple states per year (most va,wv, and ga) but i use it more to scout etc.

Internet is pretty much a must for most anyone anymore, especially if u live in an area which has no cell service such as me

I am also a Amazon Prime member, the free shipping pays for itself especially living in a very rural area where the closest wal mart to me is like an hour and a half away. The movies and shows on prime with the firestick are a throw in, especially since cutting the cord and not having dish network anymore.

I had Huntin Fool membership for one year, havent renewed since then, will likely try another one when i do another western hunt and need area info etc.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I would add to this, it wasn’t uncommon 25 to 30 years ago to be paying $200 a month in long-distance phone bills if you really wanted to do a lot of research. That’s a thing of the past, if I add up these other subscriptions we just mentioned and adjusted for inflation, it’s probably pretty close to what it used to cost to do research. Add in all the paper maps I used to buy, and that price today is even a little more palatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get OnX but I gave been getting it from Camofire when it’s on sale for $60.

I’ve been looking at getting Top Rut, Epic outdoors or Gohunt but haven’t decided yet. I might try out Top Rut just because it’s the least expensive.