Sugestions for Cot pad

MBrown

FNG
I splurged and bought both my dad and I Helinox "High Cots" for our Kodiak goat/deer trip this fall.

I had originally purchased 2 inflatable Thermarest pads for the cots, but am now second guessing the decision. I am new to cots and thought the added R value of the Thermarest pads would be a great idea. After setting the pads on the cots I am second guessing my decision. It looks like staying on the pads while on the cot may be a pain. And they are quite small in comparison to the size of the cot..

Would it be a better idea pick up some cheap foam from somewhere and keep the pads incase we spike out?

All suggestions welcome.

Mark

striker3

Lil-Rokslider
Are you using bags or quilts or both? If you have an extra quilt, you could always afix it as an under quilt, like on a hammock.

Big Agnes : Sleeping Pads
have the double z insulated pad inside the sleeping giant pad. on top of the helinox comfy not sure of the total r value as have just tried it out on the patio. destined for my shf getaway enclosed trailer

I use a 3" foam pad I got at Fred Meyer back in the home/sporting goods area.
.. $20. Works just fine.

As far as pads on cots.... yes, yes.. cots need the R-value to combat cold air circulating under cot.
Hunt'nFish

OP
M

MBrown

FNG
I use a 3" foam pad I got at Fred Meyer back in the home/sporting goods area.
.. $20. Works just fine.

As far as pads on cots.... yes, yes.. cots need the R-value to combat cold air circulating under cot.
Hunt'nFish
I think this is what I'm after. Especially if it fits the cots better. Does this cheap foam mat you are referring to seem to have a decent R value?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I think this is what I'm after. Especially if it fits the cots better. Does this cheap foam mat you are referring to seem to have a decent R value?

Here's what you need to do ... first thing to put on the cot is a blanket, an old surplus wool one works best draped over the sides and hanging to the floor so it creates a soft cave beneath the cot, then put whatever pad you want on it and then the bedroll (ahem, quilt) It's the air circulation under the cot that will freeze your cajones' off - I/we've been sleeping on cots for a lot of years in the most inhospitable conditions and it works always - ("if" you sew make yourself some form fit cot covers that hang to the floor, will work just as good - learned that from an oldest friend who had many experiences ending up "God knows where" with a nurseryman who had the means to bushfly and dragged both of them on some of the most intriguing adventures I've ever had the privilege to listen about

twall13

WKR
If weight and bulk aren't a concern my solution was to go to Home Depot and purchase some 3" open cell foam pads. They even sell camp covers for them. All in I think I paid about $25 and it's given me plenty of insulation on a cot.

I've been sleeping on a cot all summer and never used anything to insulate me. As the season are changing I'm still not using anything other than my quilt directly on top of the cot. I've slept between 10-11k like this in temps down to 30*. Usually I'll layer my clothing to keep warm as needed as I'm not willing to carry extra gear when I can just use clothing.

As for my quilt, it's a 20* quilt and I sleep in it like a "taco" so half of it is under me. I'm a side sleeper so it works well. I usually sleep in a pair of merino bottoms and top with a beanie. If I get colder I'll slide into my bivy.

Yes, the R-value of 3" semi-dense open cell foam is quite good.
During our annual winter cougar camp, I've noticed a huge differance in sleep comfort. I'm no longer the one getting up to put wood in the stove anymore. ;)
And like I said... cheap $20 solution.
Why put wear & tear on expensive pads when that will do just fine. (I think Cabela's gets $99 for their pad and it not as thick... but it does have a cover and straps.)
I keep meaning to sew a cover for mine, as the kids use it for sleep overs and such.

IMO, the only thing better would be a 4" NRS pad. Ha, ha. $200.
My Brother use's one of those, quite comfy.
Hunt'nFish

twall13

WKR
Here is the one I was referring to earlier, though I think I got it in store for around $10.

Here is the cover I was referring to that goes with it. The cover is pretty durable. This combo has worked well for us on our cots, but pretty much the only time I'm using them is family camping so I haven't tested them in extreme low temps.

OP
M

MBrown

FNG
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Finding a cheap foam pad/mat on Amazon seems to be almost impossible though!

I was hoping to order one through Amazon (Prime shipping) and have it sent directly to Kodiak.. That would eliminate me trying to pack them onto the airlines. Seems they would take up a lot of room on checked baggage?

I may just take my chances and try to find one once we land on the island. If cheap enough I don't mind buying for the onetime use...

dog812

WKR
Almost any inflatable air mattress works on a cot.
I have a x therm I have used,
I also have a dreamtime thermarest that is amazing on a multi week hunt. If you can still find then get one of those. Best night sleep you can get, r value 10!