Suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor Hunting Bullet

twall13

WKR
That's amazing, thanks for posting!

If I may ask, where did you get that purse made?
I had it done through the taxidermist/tannery in South Africa before they shipped everything back. JS taxidermy was the company that coordinated it. Most of the stuff I just had dipped and shipped for a local taxidermist to work on but I figured the tannery over there had more experience on that sort of thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I used accubonds on Antelope. They do NOT open up. They drill right through with a pencil hole. I will not be trying that again. Accubonds are for Elk & Moose, and they work well on bigger game.
I've shot a couple goats with 140 accubonds out of the 6.5 with no issues. Also have shot a few deer with it again zero issues with expansion.

My vote bases on what shoots good out of my firearm Nosler Accubonds for hunting and Berger Hybrid Hunters for punching steel. Both actually shoot almost identical out to 5-600.

nimrod_gn

FNG
124 gr Hammer Hunter is the best bullet you could use. I shoot it out of my Tikka T3x Superlite and it is superb in both accuracy and terminal performance.

Attachments

• 6.5 CM 124gr Hammer Hunter.JPG
    6.5 CM 124gr Hammer Hunter.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 62
OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
The 143gr ELD-X is probably the easiest, if not best all around bullet for the mid 6.5’s. It’s going to cause a bit of a mess if you hit major bone up close, however it expands/upsets very well at distance. The ELD-M’s are similar. Accubonds would be decent especially if close shot are more the norm. Bergers are good too. One of the nice things about the 6.5 CM is that it doesn’t over stress any bullet, and therefore cup and core projectiles are wilthin good operating velocity for a long time.

The ELD-M being in stock is swaying me towards them. They're cheaper than the ELD-X also it seems like.

Think I'm going to order a few boxes and I'll do some load development while keeping an eye out for the ELD-X and Bergers.

FLS

WKR
130 Tipped Game Kings have performed very well on a buch of animals for me. You can push them a good bit faster than the 140s. No problems on steel out to 1K yards. Killed deer and antelope out to 725 with excellent penetration and expansion.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
124 gr Hammer Hunter is the best bullet you could use. I shoot it out of my Tikka T3x Superlite and it is superb in both accuracy and terminal performance.

How was working up a load for them? Does hammer provide powder and starting load recommendations? If so I'd be curious at least as to the powder you use.

I'm seeing the Hornady's in stock currently. Yesterday saw bergers briefly but hadn't ordered the rifle yet. Definitely worth considering though!
If you saw 140 Elite Hunters yesterday I’d assume they’re gone. They’ve been hell to find.

ericwh

WKR
130 Tipped Game Kings have performed very well on a buch of animals for me. You can push them a good bit faster than the 140s. No problems on steel out to 1K yards. Killed deer and antelope out to 725 with excellent penetration and expansion.
I had good performance and great accuracy from the 130 TGK in my Tikka.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
If you saw 140 Elite Hunters yesterday I’d assume they’re gone. They’ve been hell to find.

Everything's hard to find haha.

I ordered some ELD-Ms that are in stock. If I can find some ELD-Xs, Scenars, Bergers or TGKs in the mean time I’ll probably grab some to try.

Dos XX

WKR
We have used Berger 130 otm on antelope and deer with good results...
These are great in my .260 hunting rifle. Super simple to tune and very accurate. I have shot steel out to 1200 yds with them in a match type gun, and they were equally impressive.

H4350 in a 26" barrel. Three different rifles have shot them well at around 2950 fps with no pressure. Again, this is in a .260, not a 6.5CM, but should be similar. I'm actually going to play with them in my 6.5 PRC when I get it, probably next year.

prm

WKR
I've only shot two animals with my 6.5 Creedmoor. 139 Lapua Scenar on a Mule Deer, and a 140 Berger VLD on a bull elk. Zero complaints with either. Happily hunt the world with either.

HOT ROD

WKR
These are great in my .260 hunting rifle. Super simple to tune and very accurate. I have shot steel out to 1200 yds with them in a match type gun, and they were equally impressive.

H4350 in a 26" barrel. Three different rifles have shot them well at around 2950 fps with no pressure. Again, this is in a .260, not a 6.5CM, but should be similar. I'm actually going to play with them in my 6.5 PRC when I get it

H4350 in a 26" barrel. Three different rifles have shot them well at around 2950 fps with no pressure. Again, this is in a .260, not a 6.5CM, but should be similar. I'm actually going to play with them in my 6.5 PRC when I get it, probably next year.
Tikka t3 super lite with H4350 I do not have my notes but sum where around 2900 fps and around .20 of the lands. So far every antelope and deer has been bang flop...

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Regardless of the bullet chosen (147 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X, 139 scenar, or 140gr + bergers) I'm getting the impression H4350 is going to be the powder of choice?

Only asking as I have a bunch of varget and some offers to trade H4350 for it. I do load 77gr smks in a .223 but have some N140 for that purpose too...

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone try the Terminal Ascent?
I’ve been wanting to but haven’t found them in stock. The 139 Scenar is one I’ve been looking at a lot but was worried it wouldn’t be good on game. Ordered some tonight after seeing a few people recommend them.

I really like the 120 and 140 Nosler bt on white tail, have had zero issues but been hard to find lately and I’m down to my last handful

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Regardless of the bullet chosen (147 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X, 139 scenar, or 140gr + bergers) I'm getting the impression H4350 is going to be the powder of choice?

Only asking as I have a bunch of varget and some offers to trade H4350 for it. I do load 77gr smks in a .223 but have some N140 for that purpose too...
Varget can be magic with 124grain Hammer Hunters, I use it on my GF's CA 6.5, and I use it with Barnes 127's in my 6.5 Thompson Compass truck gun....so don't be too quick to get rid of it RL26 in 140 grain class bullets and up can be amazing also. Every gun has its favorite flavor. Takes trial and error to find what your rifle likes.