Suggestions for a good day hunting load hauling backpack

crossfire3006

Lil-Rokslider
Suggestions for a lightweight, day hunting, load hauling backpack. I was looking at the Mystery Ranch Cabinet and Pintler. Pros and Cons?

I run a pack whitetail hunting with portable blind material for ground ambush. Almost exclusively a day pack but I need it to haul a quartered deer on occasion. Here are some thoughts based on my experience.

- MR pop up 28 - excellent day pack. Fairly capable hauler. Small bag. By mid season when I am packing layers it fills up quick. $$
- MR pintler - great size. Heavier frame. Hauls better but weighs and costs more. $$$
- MR sawtooth - same as a pnitler in most respects. Newer / slightly better frame and more pockets. $$$
- MR crewcab / cabinet / mule - these are the true convertibles. Cheaper than the pintler. Very strappy. Can be a pain to load and rig up. $$

If I wanted a pack that could be a mobile hunting day pack and haul meat, the pop up 28 has a lot going for it. If I wanted something to pull dual duty as a long haul pack for backpack hunting I would look to the pintler or sawtooth.

WyoEng

Lil-Rokslider
Suggestions for a lightweight, day hunting, load hauling backpack. I was looking at the Mystery Ranch Cabinet and Pintler. Pros and Cons?
I went through this last year. Tried a couple MR packs but ultimately the frame height was not tall enough. Ended up going with SEEK OUTSIDE Peregrine and couldn’t be happier. Light enough for day packing and load hauling and it rolls down pretty small if needed (small enough for me anyways). Expands st the top to carry larger loads. Going to use it for a 3 day backpacking trip I’m a few weeks. Main thing was the the frame is adjustable so I was able to get the 4” frame extenders that works well with my 6’-4” frame.

I cant give a honest review but I have the same need and I picked up a MR Sawtooth 45 for $327 and I am going to give it a try. Initially I like what I see with it. The $450 retail price had me turned off but I watched the gear deals section of this forum and scored a deal from Scheels.

87TT

WKR
This

Dharby

FNG
SG
All of the frames come with a sling and straps for meat/load hauling. Add some small pocket or lid.

I love my Kifaru and been very impressed with my new Exo 2000. I will be running the Exo all year to give it a good run.

GreenV

FNG
Can’t go wrong with the Kifaru or exo. I run a KUIU 3200 because I already had the frame for my 6000 setup. The 3200, or most 3200’s, are big enough to haul a bigger load when needed, but small enough to use as a day pack without excess material.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an 80L GoLite Quest, it's very comfortable and the weight transfer is excellent. It looks to be cheaper than most of the other options mentioned too.

Ldav07

FNG
I've been looking for a day pack as well. Been looking at the Badlands 2200 and Scapegoat 35, both seem like good options for dual purpose

Gohunt was having a sale on Pintler's earlier in the year. I bet the will again if you can wait until labor day.

Jardo

WKR
Another vote for SG here. I use the 40/56 bag on an xcurve but any bag will do. The meat shelf is what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk