Summer Heat Pack Out...

Block

WKR
Hey there... looking for advice on keeping meat from spoiling in high summer temps. I live in California and my archery season is mid August with Rifle mid September. Day temps can be over 100,, with avg nights in the 60s..Slightly cooler during rifle but not much.. 85 days 45 nights. I like hunting mid elevation rugged high desert/sage pinion stuff as far away from roads and trails as I can get. The past few years Iv killed bucks around 8am on day hikes 3-5 miles from the truck and felt like I BARELY made it back in time..(basically hunting steep Chukar terrain to give you a picture and it can take an hour to get 2 miles in some cases) This season Iv got all setup to backpack in and camp/hunt some areas more in the 8-12 mile range.. I’m in great shape and can go nonstop even in nasty terrain, but I’m concerned about getting a mid morning buck back home quick enough on a hot day. Even an evening buck I don’t think it’s ever cold enough to hang here...

A few of these areas MIGHT still have a slight trickle of running water to tryn bag and cool the meat that way. Interested in ANY advice or info as far as keeping meat cool or how long boned out deer meat is even good for in those temps. Thanks !

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I used to hunt the same kind of stuff in CA and never had a spoilage issue. Since then I’ve had to let’s some deer lay overnight before I could find them and the meat was fine next day, even at 60-70 degree overnight temps here in VA. If you can hang overnight, then pack in the morning. A little shade and cool breeze goes a long was as well if hanging in the daytime, especially at altitude. You can also put the meat in your sleeping back then inside your pack to insulate and keep it cool after it’s hung overnight. We’ve also packed out at night to avoid overheating the meat and ourselves... my buddy killed his first buck 8 miles back during a 110+ degree heat wave. Meat was fine but we almost died lol.

JNDEER

WKR
Debone the meat. Hang it in the shade where there is a breeze. Drainage, creek draw, etc. Let the meat "cool" before you pack it out. If you are really worried don't plastic bag it- but keep the meat in a regular breathable game bag (Kuiu, TAG, Ovis, etc) and don't zip up your pack all the way or put it in a meat shelf. Put on ice back at your truck.

I have killed a few bucks in the heat and have never had one spoil. The method above is what I have done when hunting archery A zone (opens tomorrow and the temps are 100). Have hung them for 3 days in B zone during archery season in the shade of a tree (full shade all day) and the meat is just fine.

Tyson

FNG
You'll be fine if you debone and hang the meat in the shade for a bit, especially if there is a breeze. If I was in your position I'd keep a cooler in my vehicle and try and get someone to meet me there with ice after a successful hunt