Support group… I just can’t help myself!

kwoody51

FNG
Planning a trip to Alaska and decide I should get some decent glass to see whatever their is to see beyond what my crappy eyes pick up!

Have fallen down the rabbit hole, hard, in the last couple months!

Start thinking that a nice pair of maven c series would be nice. Well then read that $500 is nice but $1000 is really the sweet spot.

So I purchased a pair of zeiss conquest HD.

Read some more about the awesomeness of Kowa Genesis. Talk to Doug…. Yeah you know what happens.

Purchased a pair of Kowa genesis 10.5x44. Sold the zeiss.

Keep reading, Swaro’s seem the end the line. I can’t stop reading and wondering how good they really are! Pair of EL 10x42 pop up locally, less than 20 min away. Once again.. you know what happened.

Purchased the EL 10x42….. wow…. I get it… they are amazing!

I’m not sure I can justify the Swaro’s as the Kowa’s are honestly 85-90% of the Swaro’s but now I know what that last 10-15% is like!

I think I’ve made it to the top of the heap. Wife can’t believe what all this cost but I tell her all can be sold on this wonderful forum for limited cost.

Anyone relate to my dilemma?!

Attachments

• CB7A593E-33DC-4147-AA4C-DB8CCA6C5432.jpeg
    CB7A593E-33DC-4147-AA4C-DB8CCA6C5432.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 105

Mosski

FNG
I just got the Kowa TSN 774 and am in love. makes me want to buy the genesis, only hesitation is that they don't have a stud to put bino tripod mount on... were you using them on a tripod?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OP
K

kwoody51

FNG
I just got the Kowa TSN 774 and am in love. makes me want to buy the genesis, only hesitation is that they don't have a stud to put bino tripod mount on... were you using them on a tripod?
Not using them on a tripod, just handheld.

But as @Coop RentOutdoorGear.com mentioned there are multiple options for wrap around holders to allow tripod use.

fatrascal

WKR
Avoid the rest and get the best, Swarovski. Just kidding. There are plenty of good alternatives and some are as good as Swarovski. As for me and my house, Swarovski all the way. Fatrascal.

MattCO

FNG
I can relate, have a used BTX, 95, tripod setup on the way to me. That will make 4 tripods, 4 pairs of binoculars, and a spotting scope. Definitely didn’t do the buy once, cry once path, but needed to see for myself. More expensive in the long run for sure.
Now need to figure out what I won’t be using and sell some stuff. Wife just rolls her eyes most of the time.

gelton

WKR
Depends on how you hunt, what you hunt, and where you hunt. When I first started hunting out west I didn't totally go crazy but I spent what was a lot at the time for Vortex Razor spotting scope and 10x42's binos.

I found out quickly that glass was overrated in the area that I hunt due to the layout, and since I am hunting elk and am more of an opportunistic meat hunter than a score hunter - the spotting scope was worthless - so I sold it.

If I were hunting pronghorn or mule deer and looking for a trophy, or any sheep then I could justify the additional price and functionality but I am not, so I rock with what I got which is the original Razor 10x42.

I have looked through the mavens (a very slight improvement over the razors) and Swaros (quite a big improvement over the razors) but until my hunting style, prey and locations warrant it, I just don't spend enough time behind the glass to make the additional price worth it.

I have been building up mule deer and pronghorn points so that might change in the near future.

And because you are headed to Alaska, I can see where you can justify it.

Last edited:
OP
K

kwoody51

FNG
4 bino and 4 tripods… you can setup a 360 view from a ridge and not have to move any glass :)

4BE46BB3-6CED-43E2-8E73-1B180D60FE87.jpeg

Yep. I’m also an optics junkie. This is most (I think) of the current stable - and that‘s just the binoculars. A few will shortly be in the classifieds. I just love trying out new optics. Over the years, found a good number that I really like. For me, the great news is - no matter what the outdoor event, I likely have a glass that fits the mission. Right now, my ”go to“ 10x binoculars are my Zeiss Victory SFs, and 8x are my Nikon HGs.

OP
K

kwoody51

FNG
View attachment 307281

Yep. I’m also an optics junkie. This is most (I think) of the current stable - and that‘s just the binoculars. A few will shortly be in the classifieds. I just love trying out new optics. Over the years, found a good number that I really like. For me, the great news is - no matter what the outdoor event, I likely have a glass that fits the mission. Right now, my ”go to“ 10x binoculars are my Zeiss Victory SFs, and 8x are my Nikon HGs.
That’s quite the collection!!!

Matt G.

WKR
The first thing I do when I wake up is check out optics forum and then the optics classified. It has cost me way too much money!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
K

kwoody51

FNG
The first thing I do when I wake up is check out optics forum and then the optics classified. It has cost me way too much money!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I texted a local guy about some SLC listed for sale. When he said they were sold I told him I’m glad as I would have bought them but now can’t :)

I'm about to make the jump from vortex diamond back 12x50's to a maven b series. Just haven't decided which one. And I blame the optics forum for nudging me toward the edge.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 307281

Very nice! It's OK you're among friends here

Q child

WKR
Haha. Yes. I would actually have to count how many binoculars I own now. More than 5, less than 10. Some extremely expensive ones too. At least you are reselling as you go!
Your wife is gonna freak when you start down the scope rabbit hole.
This is most (I think) of the current stable - and that‘s just the binoculars.
Got some real nice older ones in there. The green FLs, the old model Trinovids. Very cool. And are those Dialyts?

Maverick1

WKR
Planning a trip to Alaska and decide I should get some decent glass to see whatever their is to see beyond what my crappy eyes pick up!

Have fallen down the rabbit hole, hard, in the last couple months!

Start thinking that a nice pair of maven c series would be nice. Well then read that $500 is nice but $1000 is really the sweet spot.

So I purchased a pair of zeiss conquest HD.

Read some more about the awesomeness of Kowa Genesis. Talk to Doug…. Yeah you know what happens.

Purchased a pair of Kowa genesis 10.5x44. Sold the zeiss.

Keep reading, Swaro’s seem the end the line. I can’t stop reading and wondering how good they really are! Pair of EL 10x42 pop up locally, less than 20 min away. Once again.. you know what happened.

Purchased the EL 10x42….. wow…. I get it… they are amazing!

I’m not sure I can justify the Swaro’s as the Kowa’s are honestly 85-90% of the Swaro’s but now I know what that last 10-15% is like!

I think I’ve made it to the top of the heap. Wife can’t believe what all this cost but I tell her all can be sold on this wonderful forum for limited cost.

I fail to see a problem with what you have described……?……