Suppressor covers - who's and why

Another vote for Cole-Tac. I have the HTP but have also run it as just the Python configuration. Works great on hot summer days with many rounds and I just leave it on for hunting. Will be using them for all future cans I purchase. Very durable and high quality covers.

I left my suppressor cover on my rifle when I went on my last elk hunt. Ended up accidentally dropping my rifle pretty hard on some rocks and was glad I had the cover on. Would’ve definitely have had a much more scratched and dented TBAC Ultra 7 without it. Think I may leave it on more often when I go hunt in case I’m clumsy again.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I picked up a can chaps to use on an AB raptor 8 w/ 3" reflex, seems nice and is custom fit well, easy enough to install, the inner material is grippy. I did 12shots fairly quickly with my 243 with minimal mirage (was off my barrel rather than the can I believe) and I could touch the can afterwards without getting burned (or burning something else). :)

brazz04

FNG
It's wild how many don't run a cover. They cut mirage so much when you're shooting more than a few rounds. Been a long time since I've been to the range without a cover on mine. I have the precision underground covers with the cord to snug them on and keep them from sliding forward.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta admit I just assumed they were a requirement if you wanted to shoot more than one or two shots and thought that pretty much everyone uses one. Never realized how disliked they were. Almost lost my fingerprints to my Nomad L after a couple rounds on my 18” 6.5 PRC when I set it on the rack and a couple minutes later I went to swap it to another rifle.

It’s cheap insurance, on an hunting rifle it protects the can and in the cold one or two shots may be all it takes to fishbowl the image in the scope. I have them on all of my suppressors and they stay on there permanently whether I’m hunting or target shooting.

I have a mix of Cole Tac covers with the Baby pythons on my hunting cans and the corset covers on my target cans.

IMG_0021.jpegIMG_8218.jpeg

I placed an order for a Can Chaps cover for my TBAC 338 Ultra. I'll see how I like it whenever it comes in.

Ramblr

FNG
TAB Gear for my TBAC Ultra 7 on bolt guns.
Armageddon Gear for my Sandman S on gas guns.

The TAB Gear is the nicer of the two. Bought them because that's what Mile High Shooting carries.

Castronova

Lil-Rokslider
I just sent back a Cole Tac after seeing how bulky it was and ordered Can Chaps. In my opinion, way better product. Much thinner profile and sticky, can’t barely move it. I ordered it to fit my Raptor 8 and will also be near perfect on my Diligent defense. I like shooting the Raptor with the reflex more than I thought I would and may have to order one to fit the full length.

Bluumoon

WKR
Semi serious question, can I just duct tape a piece of welding blanket/felt on and call it a day? Could get fancy and sew some Cordura on the outside. Mirage has been driving me nuts after 2-3 shots, but $80 for a can condom?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just sent back a Cole Tac after seeing how bulky it was and ordered Can Chaps. In my opinion, way better product. Much thinner profile and sticky, can’t barely move it. I ordered it to fit my Raptor 8 and will also be near perfect on my Diligent defense. I like shooting the Raptor with the reflex more than I thought I would and may have to order one to fit the full length.
I ordered mine to fit the reflux cause that'd be the way I'll use it at the range the most. If I want light weight while hunting and will ditch the cover I'd probably also be of the mindset to ditch the reflex too. :)

Lawnboi

WKR
I could never get away without one at the range, I can’t stand waiting for things to cool.

For big game hunting I don’t use one. I also zero without the cover before season. I don’t want a suppressor cover becoming saturated with moisture and cause issues during a hunt.

My Can Chaps cover came in and the quality of materials/fit is extremely high. It's leaps and bounds above my Cole-Tac and AG covers in build quality.
Agreed. I just put my first one on a scythe and the fit is perfect and I’m pretty confident it will stay in place. Hopefully it mitigates mirage well.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I could never get away without one at the range, I can’t stand waiting for things to cool.

For big game hunting I don’t use one. I also zero without the cover before season. I don’t want a suppressor cover becoming saturated with moisture and cause issues during a hunt.
It’s amazes me how different the poi can be with a cover vs without. Last year I had my 30-06 sighted in a few inches high at 100, I took it to the range before taking a trip and it was shooting dead on instead of high. Took me a bit to realize it was because I had the cover on it.

Agreed. I just put my first one on a scythe and the fit is perfect and I’m pretty confident it will stay in place.
What surprises me is the fact that it's the same or lower cost than the other covers I own. There's really no comparison in quality/materials.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What surprises me is the fact that it's the same or lower cost than the other covers I own. There's really no comparison in quality/materials.
I’ll have to get one for my scythe. I was just looking and you’re right, they are not more expensive and if they work better than it’s a no brainer.

My AG one constantly slides back, the FHF one is better but I honestly never figured out why so many folks recommend the AG ones, mine has never stayed put very well.

I’ll have to get one for my scythe. I was just looking and you’re right, they are not more expensive and if they work better than it’s a no brainer.
Be aware it'll weigh more than the AG. I'd put it at at least twice the AG's weight. The buckles are metal I think and it's denser. Personally I don't care since my guns are heavy anyway and I got it for a TBAC 338 Ultra which is 17oz to start with. But if you're very weight conscious it may factor into your decisionmaking.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Be aware it'll weigh more than the AG. I'd put it at at least twice the AG's weight. The buckles are metal I think and it's denser. Personally I don't care since my guns are heavy anyway and I got it for a TBAC 338 Ultra which is 17oz to start with. But if you're very weight conscious it may factor into your decisionmaking.
I’m not a super ultra lightweight guy, I cut weight where it makes sense but I happily add weight for the things that improve the experience. That being said, I probably wouldn’t take one on a backpack hunt regardless of manufacturer. For moose hunts however I like to keep a cover on because things get dinged up getting in and out of boats and the weight dosent matter as much.

How heavy is it though? I’ve never weighed any of mine, I’m guessing the AG I have is the lightest.

How heavy is it though? I’ve never weighed any of mine, I’m guessing the AG I have is the lightest.
The AG is 3-3.5oz and the Can Chaps is 7oz. But the suppressor they're sized to cover is 10.5" long and 1.8" in diameter. And the AG leaves the last 0.5-0.75" exposed which annoys me, while the Can Chaps one fits perfectly.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The AG is 3-3.5oz and the Can Chaps is 7oz. But the suppressor they're sized to cover is 10.5" long and 1.8" in diameter. And the AG leaves the last 0.5" exposed which annoys me, while the Can Chaps one fits perfectly.
Right on, I just have covers on a banish 30 and a TBAC ultra 7. I don’t even have a cover for my Hyperion k. I’m getting excited about my scythe so I’ll order one for that.