Suppressor wait times

I’ve received two emails two days in a row from Silencer Central reminding me my application is under review by ATF. No chit. I don’t need a reminder, especially several months out from possibly getting an approval. I’d rather they just email me when something happens.

Reactions: Duh

atmat

WKR
Submitted for my second suppressor yesterday while I’m still waiting on the first, which I submitted 02/10/23.

Hearing the horror stories of long waits followed by rejections has me nervous.

Anyone lucky enough to have a suppressor get out of jail recently? Wondering how long it took from the time the tax stamp check was cashed by good ole' Uncle Same to the date you got the call to pick it up. I have a TBAC Dominus in jail and the check was cashed on 4/28/21. I have a predator hunt in Texas planned in March and was really hoping to have it in time to take with me. Absolutely no reason for the process to take this long, but I'll save that discussion for another thread.
2 within last year. One at 10 months. One at 8.5.

Those of you that used silencer shop, after your purchase how long did it take to certify? I have been “preparing for eforms” for almost 3 weeks

Something to keep in mind if you bought directly from Silencer Shop. Before the actual Form 4 can be filled out for you to certify, your FFL has to have the suppressor in hand. If it is coming from Silencer Shop (not in dealer stock) they have to complete a Form 3 and ship it (usually 2-3 weeks to complete that process). Then your FFL can go into the Silencer Shop software and complete the Form 4, which then you can sign and complete the certification process with your FFL.

One thing I will state about the whole NFA process. If you are an impatient person, it probably isn't for you. It moves at the speed of government. Just get used to the wait and realize that an extra 30 days isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Or, start seriously lobbying for suppressors to be removed from the NFA.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Something to keep in mind if you bought directly from Silencer Shop. Before the actual Form 4 can be filled out for you to certify, your FFL has to have the suppressor in hand. If it is coming from Silencer Shop (not in dealer stock) they have to complete a Form 3 and ship it (usually 2-3 weeks to complete that process). Then your FFL can go into the Silencer Shop software and complete the Form 4, which then you can sign and complete the certification process with your FFL.

One thing I will state about the whole NFA process. If you are an impatient person, it probably isn't for you. It moves at the speed of government. Just get used to the wait and realize that an extra 30 days isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Or, start seriously lobbying for suppressors to be removed from the NFA.
I didn’t realize it took that long to make it to submitting your form 4. Good to know. I ordered my can from silencer shop on 3/5 and I’m still waiting to certify.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I didn’t realize it took that long to make it to submitting your form 4. Good to know. I ordered my can from silencer shop on 3/5 and I’m still waiting to certify.
What’s the reasoning behind this? You’re basically adding another month! I got certified the same day I did electronic paperwork at my lgs.

IALoder

FNG
Those of you that used silencer shop, after your purchase how long did it take to certify? I have been “preparing for eforms” for almost 3 weeks

Mine took about a week and a half for each one. My friends that have used the same Silencer Shop dealer for their suppressors have been right at 2 weeks on average

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Well I went to and talked to them. They kinda gave me the run around, but after I left I got an email that I’m ready to certify

What’s the reasoning behind this? You’re basically adding another month! I got certified the same day I did electronic paperwork at my lgs.

Did he have the suppressor in stock? If so, no problem. If not, he has to have it in hand before filling out the Form 4. That means they have to wait on the Form 3 to be approved and the suppressor to be shipped to them. That is taking 2-3 weeks, currently.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Did he have the suppressor in stock? If so, no problem. If not, he has to have it in hand before filling out the Form 4. That means they have to wait on the Form 3 to be approved and the suppressor to be shipped to them. That is taking 2-3 weeks, currently.
They can’t do paperwork until they have the can in their hand and can confirm serial number. I assume silencer shop is the same. They’re not doing your paperwork prior to having the can so it still doesn’t explain why it’s taking a month to certify?

They can’t do paperwork until they have the can in their hand and can confirm serial number. I assume silencer shop is the same. They’re not doing your paperwork prior to having the can so it still doesn’t explain why it’s taking a month to certify?

Silencer Shop is a distributor that you are paying directly. You can choose your suppressor on their website and purchase it and pay for your tax stamp at the same time. They have a network of dealers who can use the SS system to efile your Form4.

I took his post to say: "I purchased my suppressor from Silencer Shop via their website 3 weeks ago. Why isn't the Form 4 completed so that I can certify?" That is because Silencer Shop has to ship the suppressor to the dealer you chose and then that dealer has to complete the Form 4.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Silencer Shop is a distributor that you are paying directly. You can choose your suppressor on their website and purchase it and pay for your tax stamp at the same time. They have a network of dealers who can use the SS system to efile your Form4.

I took his post to say: "I purchased my suppressor from Silencer Shop via their website 3 weeks ago. Why isn't the Form 4 completed so that I can certify?" That is because Silencer Shop has to ship the suppressor to the dealer you chose and then that dealer has to complete the Form 4.
I must be confused because I always hear them saying something about shipping the suppressor directly to your house. Am I getting 2 different places confused?