Submitted 12/19/2022
Approved 8/16/2023
240 days
Surefire SOCOM Ti
Trust

Finally got one in less than a year.

Last edited:
Quoted 7 months at a show last weekend
They have no idea. Approvals are all over the place with no discernible pattern. If you look at Reddit, some individuals are really quick, few months, some trusts over a year. I would say they are moving individuals faster to discourage trusts. Also makes the average time appear shorter. I am 7 months on one right now and dont expect it for another 2-3. Just hope it makes it for deer season in December.

Well they definitely seem to be speeding up. Had two approved in January at 280ish days and then this one today (yes Sunday) at 191 days.

Individual E-Form
Submitted 2/10/23
Approved 8/20/23

Well it’s working. Virtually no way I’ll do a trust next time. Get it individual and move it into a trust later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In order to do that you have to do another Form 4. No sense in paying the extra $200 for a perceived increase in processing time.

The things you have to ask for those getting them back quickly is 1) How many tax stamps do you have? 2) How many FBI background checks have all the folks on your trust gone through?

I am on suppressor #10 and my wife and I have gone through multiple FBI background checks for various reasons during our careers. Our stamps get processed pretty quickly.

In order to do that you have to do another Form 4. No sense in paying the extra $200 for a perceived increase in processing time.

The things you have to ask for those getting them back quickly is 1) How many tax stamps do you have? 2) How many FBI background checks have all the folks on your trust gone through?

I am on suppressor #10 and my wife and I have gone through multiple FBI background checks for various reasons during our careers. Our stamps get processed pretty quickly.
This is my first suppressor application and I am by myself on my trust. The entire reason for me doing a trust at all is the ability to add a family member later on in the future. $200 at some random point in the future is inconsequential, honestly. Taking delivery of something that I lawfully purchased months early is certainly consequential, to me, especially when we hope to get these things prior to a certain hunting season for use on a specific firearm.

That said, do you know for sure that prior background checks speed up processing time or is that an assumption? That would be good info if you are certain that is correct and not just conjecture.

That said, do you know for sure that prior background checks speed up processing time or is that an assumption? That would be good info if you are certain that is correct and not just conjecture.

I honestly don't have enough empirical data to prove it, but I do know that for my last 4 suppressors, my approval time was 30-60 days faster than people who I know were submitting their paperwork at the same time as I was.

Myself and 2 other buddies all purchased (separately) suppressors that got sent in the week of Black Friday.
All 3 of us are still waiting.
Oddly, all 3 of us are retired military with active security clearances. How f*cking long does it take to type in a name, DOB , and SSN and hit ENTER?!
We have all been background checked out the wazoo.

Oddly enough I went to pick up a new pistol the other day at the LGS and the clerk commented that he sees more delayed responses on the 4473 with retired military guys than any other demographic. We have a large community of retired military in my area. That's just firearm purchase not suppressor or SBR paperwork btw.
Weird.
Wonder why that would be the case?
Any gun shop employees in here that can confirm or comment on that one?

Alright guys, quick question for everyone. I’m at Day 194 (certified 02/10) and 142 (certified 04/03) for my two suppressors.

I just found out I need to move within the next 6 months tops, likely out of state. I may need to move earlier.

What are my options?

Alright guys, quick question for everyone. I’m at Day 194 (certified 02/10) and 142 (certified 04/03) for my two suppressors.

I just found out I need to move within the next 6 months tops, likely out of state. I may need to move earlier.

What are my options?
If trust, you may be able to add a responsible party that will still be in state. Otherwise, if you move before approval, you have to withdraw and resubmit.

If trust, you may be able to add a responsible party that will still be in state. Otherwise, if you move before approval, you have to withdraw and resubmit.

I’m the only person on my trust right now, so no responsible party. I’m hopeful the first one comes in before we move. If I need to restart the second then I’ll swallow that pill

Yep. If you do get approved before you move, a Form 20 is what you have to submit and have back before you move the NFA item permanently. Usually takes about 4 weeks to get back.

I’m the only person on my trust right now, so no responsible party. I’m hopeful the first one comes in before we move. If I need to restart the second then I’ll swallow that pill
Been there, resubmitted. It sucks, but sounds like you'll get approved in time.

Nope, you would have to resubmit with each party filling out the Responsible Person Questionnaire, photo, and prints.

Yep. If you do get approved before you move, a Form 20 is what you have to submit and have back before you move the NFA item permanently. Usually takes about 4 weeks to get back.
This is not a requirement for suppressors. Short barreled rifles and other items, yes. Suppressors, no. The ATF might like you to inform them though.

Been there, resubmitted. It sucks, but sounds like you'll get approved in time.

Nope, you would have to resubmit with each party filling out the Responsible Person Questionnaire, photo, and prints.

This is not a requirement for suppressors. Short barreled rifles and other items, yes. Suppressors, no. The ATF might like you to inform them though.
Thanks for the additional information!

Back