Suppressors weight vs sound reduction help

Looking at two different suppressors and wanting to get one purchased and start the wait.

Will go on a tikka t3x 7mm rem mag with the 24” d18 barrel. So cutting it down isn’t an option yet.

One is a bowers verse 375 slightly heavier at 15.4 oz but bigger 1.7 did and 8.5” long.

The second is the popular scythe ti at 7.75oz with the titanium end cap and a little over 6” long.

Note with the end cap the cost is almost the same on the two.

I’m assuming the larger one will have a little more sound reduction but is the weight/length penalty worth it? Use case is mostly whitetail hunting in wi from a tree stand or about a week of elk hunting a year along with range time where it won’t patter as much.

Should I be worried about the weight or not?

A 16oz suppressor on that rifle is going to feel like a brick.

Would be a little less of a concern if it were a short rifle.

Still I’d get the lighter suppressor. Some of the big ones that suppress more are best but honestly anything below sonic crack for a hunting can isn’t doing much. Example is I have a Magnus at 15oz, 9 x 1.8” and I choose an ultra 7 for hunting almost always.

A 16oz suppressor on that rifle is going to feel like a brick.

Would be a little less of a concern if it were a short rifle.

Still I’d get the lighter suppressor. Some of the big ones that suppress more are best but honestly anything below sonic crack for a hunting can isn’t doing much. Example is I have a Magnus at 15oz, 9 x 1.8” and I choose an ultra 7 for hunting almost always.

That’s the info I was looking for. I was leaning towards the lighter one but wasn’t sure as it will be my first. Thanks!

If you can find a scythe in stock, without question that’s highly recommended right now. Where in Wi are you located? I have a few we could thread on, for hands on experience.

I would definitely go with the scythe. I hate heavy cans on my hunting rifles. Like said before, they feel like a brick hanging off the end of the barrel.

A local gun shop mentioned having the scythe when I called them today so that’s likely what I would do silencer shop has had them go in and out of stock the past week or so. I may just make the drive to the lgs and take a look at their inventory if they have a thunder beast ultra 7 I would be interested as well.

Overall the consensus seems to be stay lighter and that was my initial thoughts but couldn’t quite find the info I was looking for with a search.

A local gun shop mentioned having the scythe when I called them today so that’s likely what I would do silencer shop has had them go in and out of stock the past week or so. I may just make the drive to the lgs and take a look at their inventory if they have a thunder beast ultra 7 I would be interested as well.

Overall the consensus seems to be stay lighter and that was my initial thoughts but couldn’t quite find the info I was looking for with a search.
A scythe and tbac ultra 7 would be a pretty great start. Not a lot of money wasted on other units. You’d have a white tail gun and western rig with 2 near perfect hunting cans. The kiosk I use is in waupun. Just grabbed a recce5 yesterday.

A scythe and tbac ultra 7 would be a pretty great start. Not a lot of money wasted on other units. You’d have a white tail gun and western rig with 2 near perfect hunting cans. The kiosk I use is in waupun. Just grabbed a recce5 yesterday.

I can shoot out to 700 ish depending on what crops are in right from my deck or driveway. Only hold up is when my uncle is doing field work. Some intermediate distances may be harder but it’s just adjusting shooting location and targets.

I’m not particularly looking for two suppressors at the moment as I only have one threaded gun but will likely get my .223 tikka threaded at some point.

Here is my $.02, I have 4 cans, they range from 8.5 oz to 21 oz on various length rifles. The 21oz can is too heavy on a 20” single shot rifle, same setup in K configuration at 7” long and 16 oz was ok. That extra 5 oz was a deal breaker. That can is going on a 14” sbr next year in full 10”/21 oz configuration.

I have a scythe and it’s tiny and light. Going on a 7prc. Have not tried it yet as it just cleared jail last week.

I ran a AB raptor 15 oz with 3” reflex on a 20” single shot and no reflex on a 14” pistol. Both cases worked well. So my take away is there is a limit to weight and length, but it varies based on the rifle length. A 20” single shot is probably 2-4” shorter than a bolt, making it equal to a 16-18” in overall length. A 15 oz can would be ok with a rifle of that size, but I expect too heavy/long on a 20+ bolt gun.

My current thinking is get a can that is hearing safe and as small/light as possible. Don’t worry about maximum db reduction as it doesn’t make a difference in use. You won’t run without earpro at the range as no can is quiet enough for a bunch of shots and the chance of getting blasted by another bench is high. If it’s hearing safe (under 140) for 1-2 shots then it’s going to be ok for hunting. Smaller and lighter will pay off when packing and shooting from less than ideal positions.

Depending on where you are in WI I would be willing to meet up and let you try some different cans.

Back