Supressor direct thread vs muzzle brake mount?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Simpler and lighter for me. More repeatable IMO. My long range precision hunting rifles are direct thread.

Everything else gets a QD brake.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
Shorter and lighter. I have both, for a hutning can I'd probably go direct thread. Most of my ARs and similar wear a muzzle brake or more accurately a flashhider mount.

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
Does the brake still reduce recoil when the suppressor is mounted?

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Direct thread is best. If there is any variance in an adapter or QD, the suppressor is toast. That doesn't mean that they inherently have variance, but it's another point added into the equation.
I had an adapter on one I could never get to square right. What it takes to screw one on and off is barely more than twisting off a top on a beer.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think it’s important to mention what brake system your going with. They are not all the same.

Iv got direct thread cans and a tbac CB can. I’ll be buying more CB cans. I wouldn’t invest in heavy, stacking adapters. I have seen no issues with repeatability out of my CB ultra 7 and direct thread suppressors. One simply allows me to run it on rifles with different thread patterns. Biggest downside is money, brakes are expensive.

Something about the tapered surface creating more friction to retain…. Yea maybe but I havnt had any problems with direct thread either.

OutdoorAg

WKR
If you only shoot it with a can, go can over break. I never, EVER have to worry about cross threading or even being careful when spinning it on/off.

All of my TBAC cans are can over break. Exception being the little 22 take down.

If you have a 30c can that you swap between rifles, then yeah, its likely an easier answer to just be direct thread.

But - my TBAC cans live on the guns. I dont shoot un suppressed.

I had a baffle strike once.....barrel was 1/2-28 and suppressor was 5/8-24, and also had a QD mount. So that is 3 connection points:

1. Can to QD mount
2. QD mount to (1/2-28 to 5/8-24) adapter
3. Adapter to rifle

Im certain the baffle strike was due to one or multiple of those coming loose.

The safest thing IMO is a direct thread can straight to the barrel. 1 connection point

ID_Matt

WKR
I wonder if there is any validity to the CB brakes indexing better than just a straight direct thread? Either way, I run the area 419 mounts. Can easily switch between my 2 different muzzle brakes and 2 different cans all across each gun. Takes seconds to switch out the brake to a suppressor or vise versa. If I was to run suppressed all the time, it would be direct thread.

ID_Matt

WKR
What does the CB connect to........
I get that... but the CB is fixed and shouldn't move. So I am saying maybe some more repeatability if you switch between CB gun to another CB gun. If it is just going on 1 gun, no doubt direct thread and leave it.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I think what’s being missed here is the breaks - especially from places like TBAC - aren’t just another set of threads.

The conical lock up behind the threads gives a super connection point.

On a direct thread, you get the threads then what - the small flat face of remaining barrel contour for the suppressor to face up against.

Ill take can over break with a nice large area for the can to face up to and “lock” against.

Lawnboi

WKR
What do these brakes 'face up against'?.... I mean, other that the remaining barrel contour?
Brakes, well the cb brakes are supposed to be red loctite on. This makes them basically permanent without a torch and gives the taper for the suppressor to ‘hold on’ to. Versus a direct thread, where the friction from keeping the can from spinning off is the shoulder of the threads.

A tbac direct thread suppressor is just a cb version with loctite on the cb portion.

As noted above I don’t see a down side In atleast the thunder beast CB setup. I can use the suppressor on my 1/2 threaded rifles and my 5/8 threaded rifles. It only cost me money in the brake, which I never shoot as a brake anyways. I also have direct thread cans that are problem free, just not able to be used on different thread pitches.

Guys get hung up on mounts, and I’d agree that most if seen are unnecessarily heavy, bulky or not needed on a lot of rifles. But they do have their place. If all my rifles were threaded 5/8 then they wouldn’t be needed for me, it’s just more money to spend for possibly a slightly more secure attachment and flexibility

Last edited: