Suunto vs Garmin

Dusty2426

WKR
Looking at a new watch. Narrowed it down to traverse or Fenix. What your experiences

No experience with either; but I wouldn't leave out G-Shock Rangeman. Temp/Alt/Comp; Stopwatch/timer/SunRise-Set AND its solar. As long as you are outside a little every day - it never dies. I've had mine going on 3 years now. I'll be honest I really only use the SunRise/Set feature, occasionally the timer, and I'll check the Alt for shits&gigs from time to time (but usually it's a little off and I'll have to adjust it). Temp is about worthless cause it reads off your skin so you have to take it off for a bit to get a decently accurate reading. Maybe all that turns you off from it; but its rugged as all hell and probably a lot cheaper than the above 2 mentioned..

Bl704

WKR
No real first hand experience with the garmin but picked up a suunto traverse earlier in the year and it meets my needs. Both made my short list also, but I got a great deal on the suunto.

A few minor complaints, but none are show stoppers:
• Gps acquisition is slower than I expected;
• I wish the alarm allowed different schedules by day of week and multiple alarms;
• the movescout app is weak.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Owned both Suunto Traverse and now the Garmin Fenix 5x. Garmin hands down is the better unit. More tools, customizable, heck of alot easier interface to work with, and better maps.

Fiddled around with both in a store.
I’ve been wearing the Fenix for roughly a year now.
No complaints.

mvmnts

WKR
If you get a top shelf Suunto, you will get better battery life and maybe slightly more accurate tracking (not sure on that). Other than that, the Garmin is leagues better in every conceivable way. Suunto support is the worst garbage I've ever had to deal with. If you have an android phone I wouldn't even dream of buying a Suunto watch.

Right now I own a Garmin Fenix 5 and I am very happy with it. All functions work, including sync, without my intervention. I've had it about 9 months. Before that I had a Suunto Ambit 3 Peak Sapphire. It would never sync automatically, had to be re-paired to my phone constantly, and had known bugs preventing me from using the training plans feature for running for years. A fix was never made. I accidentally left that watch on the top of my car and never found it again. Good riddance.

Seriously there is no comparison, and with Suunto going down the touchscreen route with their new line and ruling that out, you just can't compare them at all.

Carl

FNG
Just a couple of weeks ago I was in the same predicament. I ended up with the 5x. The main reason is because of the wrist heart rate monitor. The things this watch will do is incredible. The battery life is pretty impressive as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat last fall, Suunto vs. Garmin. Buddy of mine had the Fenix 3X and raved about how awesome it was. I bought the Fenix 5X and absolutely love it. Battery life is awesome, super easy to change out bands (you can get cheap bands on amazon for $10) and the mapping of runs and hikes is spot on. I run at least 25 miles per week either outside or on the treadmill and the 5X's ability to track HR, distance, elevation is unbelievable. I was worried about the size when I first got it (it's a big watch) but having worn it everyday for 8+ months I don't even notice it on my wrist anymore.

If you're a golfer, you'll also love the integrated golf courses for distance.

No experience with Suunto products, but I'd recommend the Fenix line any day of the week.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
I like the maps that the Garmin can use but other than that I don't see any reason to pay the extra cost, most of the Garmin features just aren't of any value to me. I don't run or do any other sports, the watch is simply used for navigation when I hike or hunt so all that other sports data is pretty useless for my needs. I chose the Suunto Traverse Alpha, once you understand the online application it's pretty easy to sync, update, change route information, marks Points of Interest (POI), etc. You can also export your routes to Google Maps/ Earth Pro and manage the route information from there.