Swaro STX Recommendations

Hi all,
I apologize in advance and hope that this post does not sound like a broken record. I have posted on this topic before and have searched through previous threads extensively.

I have saved my money for a long time and am finally going to purchase a swaro spotter (stx). I am really having a hard time settling down on one. I keep getting different recommendations for all three available sizes (65, 85, 95). I am set on going with the STX system and know there are other great options out there. My goal in buying this is to have it for the next 20 years. I am not a gear junkie that has a high turnover rate each season. I hunt blacktail in CA during July-September, mule deer, coues, elk (though typically not by glassing em up). I do backpack hunt primarily when out of state but am not a lightweight freak. Can anyone provide any additional insight or thoughts on which way I should go?

My initial thought was to go 85 as it was a happy medium. I then had a friend who said, "well if youre going to get do the 85, might as well do the 95..its only a few oz more." He had a good point. I often backpack hunt with friends so we could divide the weight. It does seem just "big" though with regard to how much space it takes up. I want this spotter to grow with me as a hunter. I'm going to do a moose hunt in AK in the next 5-7 years. I also have two small children that I am going to be hunting with more over the coming years. I want to have a spotter that we can take with us on backpacking/scouting trips. This has also had me thinking about the 65. Im sure that whatever I get I will be happy, I am just spazzing out because its a lot of money and I want to get the right thing. Any insight that you all could provide would be great. Appreciate the hell out of this forum and all the info that you all share. I can provide more information if that would be helpful. Again, I know this topic has been smashed into the ground and I dont mean to start a debate but am just curious of opinions/thoughts for someone in my position.

I have a pair of 12x50els that i run off my chest/tripod.

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider
95mm... yes it’s a little over a pound heavier, but worth it IMO. Pulls in so much light. Fits in my pack fine, no issues there, especially if someone else carries the tripod.

Running a phone scope changes the game big time as well. I use it 99% of the time now and I bet your kids will really enjoy being able to see the image with you. The ATX is much easier to use with one as you can rotate the spotter (See photo) to how you’re sitting, up hill, down hill, etc... I’ve got a good amount of time behind this setup glassing and various other swaros in straight and angled. It doesn’t get any better. You’ll love it.
I’d recommend watching the classifieds here, there’s been some pretty good deals on setups in the last month.

Attachments

• F27E8014-3CB8-424A-B41D-CAD4680D426E.jpeg
    F27E8014-3CB8-424A-B41D-CAD4680D426E.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 41

fatrascal

WKR
For backpacking the 65 is the way to go. With kids hunting with you in the future I would get the 95 next. You don't need an 85 if you have the 65 and 95. But now you will need another eyepiece and I suggest the BTX. That way you can change out the eye pieces with the objective lenses and you have two spotting scope set ups for the family to use. I have this same scenario and have the set up I described above except I use ATX instead of STX. If I could only have one set up then I'd go with the 65mm objective. The 85 and 95 objectives are just too big for back packing. Fatrascal.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Well, since you've had a few people mention the 95 and only one the 65, I need to even it out. I am just about to pull the trigger on a 65. I was torn between the 3 options as well. The deciding factor for me is that I do NOT want size to ever be a reason why I wouldn't bring it along. Weight-wise, the 95 isn't that much bigger, but it could potentially mean needing a bigger tripod as well. Overall size-wise in the pack is my main concern, and the 95 does look quite a bit bigger to me (unless you're going to be breaking it down). I never brought my current scope with me because it always seemed like such a bulky thing. Getting the 65, I won't have to worry about that.

I think you need to evaluate exactly how you intend to use it and evaluate yourself and know whether the size thing will ever cause you to not bring it along. I'd rather have a scope with less light gathering ability that I'm willing to bring along than one with the best light gathering ability that will sit in the truck. Obviously as other commenters have noted, it isn't a big deal for some people, and they will lug the 95 around anyway. I just know myself, and that's why I'm choosing one that will easily fit in my pack.

I figure if I get the 65, I can always save up some more and add the 95 later if I think it will give me enough advantage and I want to use it near the truck.

I can't wait for a sale to come up so I can pull the trigger! I just ordered a tines up scopecam kit as well to compliment my ATX 65 that I'll be purchasing. Looking forward to doing some digiscoping.

wyosteve

WKR
I had a long chat with One Shot Gear at the Sheep Show and looked through the 95 and 65. I realize it's not much of a test indoors. But the thing that stuck in my mind was the rep said the STX/ATX system was worth it for 2 scenarios. First, if you do digiscoping, the 95 is the way to go. Secondly, if you intend to switch objectives frequently, then go with the 'X' system or if you want the BTX. He said the glass in the regular HD version and the 'X' system is so close you'd probably not notice the difference. So-unless you really need the capability of the 95, for about the same money as a STX 95, you could get a STS HD 65 AND a STS HD 80. Just throwing this out there as food for thought.

OP
Just buy the biggest one your willing to carry.

Thanks guys for your responses. I'm leaning towards the 95 for some of the reasons listed above and, I dont care a whole ton about the weight penalty. I can make up the difference in other areas. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of people who regret getting a 95. I have already saved up for the cost of the 95 and figure that if it is a huge issue, I can save and get the 65 in a few years.

Any other thoughts on something I could be missing?

tdot

WKR
I'm constantly impressed with the 65 on my BTX. I bought it with the expectation that it would be a huge drop in performance that I would accept only if I was in for a long pack in. But honestly, it is so good that I will be taking it much more then I planned.

I think the BTX is a more significant improvement to my glassing then the 95 is.

I havent Digiscoped with it yet, so its interesting to read those comments about the 95 being better for that aspect.

If you have really good eyes, you can make anything work. If you wear eye glasses or dont have the best eyes, then the 95 becomes a bigger deal, IMO.

Best part of this decision, is there is no wrong answer.

ckrhtr

FNG
Go with the 95mm a little extra weight never hurt anyone..... But then again I hunt with mules!

The BTX is definitely my favorite though!