Swarovski 10x42 EL 2002

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Through the incredible generosity of my parents, I have been gifted a set of Swarovski 10x42 EL binoculars. They got them through my cousin, who bought them from someone upgrading to a newer pair. They had a scratched lens, and other signs of use, so my cousin had them completely refurbished by Swarovski. Aside from wear of the numbers on the focus knob, they look almost new. Can't explain how grateful I am to be gifted these. Optically, they appear to be multiple steps above my 25 year old Minox. The Minox were good glass, but I certainly used and abused them over the years. It was time for a new set.
My Dad had the binoculars registration transfered to me, with Swarovski, so I decided to ask Swarovksi which version they were. Turns out they were made in 2002, so no HD and no Swarovision. I've only briefly looked through them from the house at this point. They seem fantastic. I have no intention of selling, but am curious what the difference might be between these and the newer versions.
Be interested to hear the differences, significant or not, between the 2002 set and the newer versions with HD and Swarovision.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
Congrats on your binos those will be very nice. Bumping it up for you so someone can provide better info than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGPank

WKR
Did Swarovski give you a receipt of what they did? Sometimes they upgrade lenses and prisms so you would get more recent coatings. The biggest differences between pre-swarovision and current are going to be HD glass to reduce chromatic aberration and the field flattening swarovision. The other items will be increment improvements of coatings, prisms, light transmission.

Many don’t like the field flattened view. Other improvements would be hard to tell unless you had a recent pair to compare side by side.

They should provide years of great use. You’d have to spend a lot to upgrade and you will be getting incremental return on investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a pair from '02 or '03 and another pair of Swarovision (both 10x42 EL) from '12. The older pair are very good optically and the newer SV pair are excellent, clear to the very edge. Barrel shape is a bit different and the old pair is about 3 or 4 ounces lighter...doesn't have the extra lenses. I'd be happy to hunt with either pair.

The EL 42 Binocular progression is:

1999-2009: Pre Swarovision. Non-HD, no Field Flatteners
2009-2015: Swarovision. HD, has Field Flatteners
2015-Present: Field Pro. HD, has Field Flatteners. Also has a lock on the diopter, and uses their pin strap connection instead of a traditional lug. Objective lens covers hook into the front of the binocular instead of going around the barrel. In late 2020, the minimum focusing distance went from 5 ft to 10 ft.

Optically, there's no difference between a 2009 binocular and a late 2020 binocular. Binoculars from late 2020 to present will not be able to focus down to 5 ft (important if you use them for looking at butterflies). Field of view on all of them is the same, but with the field flatteners the usable field is bigger 2009 and beyond.

If you feel that they're a massive improvement over any other binocular you've had to date, then just enjoy them. Keep in mind that everyone who looked through a binocular in the history of time prior to 1999 was looking through a worse binocular than what you're using, and no one looked through a better one until 2009.

If you fall into $3000 that you don't know what to do with, buy an NL Pure, but otherwise those are going to be awesome hunting binos for you for a long, long time.

OP
Bigfeet

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses. Haven't really had the opportunity to test the binos out and likely won't compare them to the newer versions over the next while. I already knew they were a quality glass but it is interesting to understand the differences. Still overwhelmed and humbled with the gift and the generosity of my parents.

cbeard64

WKR
My ELs are the exact same version (2001). They have been with me since then and have served me faithfully all over North America. They are a great glass.

I broke down and got a pair of NL Pures, but I still am having a hard time talking myself into selling my ELs. They would be a fantastic gift to a grandchild or nephew/niece.