Swarovski 85 vs 95 with BTX in low light

Scooter

FNG
Gonna pull trigger on new BTX set up. I was reading about the 85 having bigger exit pupil @25x than 95 does at 30. Could some of you guys shed some light this. Is the 85 better in low light conditions? I'm not concerned about weight don't mind packing the 95 if they are the best choice
Could some of you guys that have experience with both give me some advice

Thanks Scott

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Scott,
The 95mm is superior in lower light conditions. We sell lots of these set ups (be glad to assist you) and most guys get the 65mm and 95mm so they are covered for packing (65mm) and low light (95mm) when packing long distances isn't happening
Give us a call to discuss this
Have a great weekend
Doug
516-217-1000

coues32

WKR
Optically 85mm with btx , 95mm if it was 30 power .
65mm is 30x
85mm is 30x
95mm is 35x

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 95mm BTX. I did not compare by eye all the combinations but I have done a lot of testing comparing binoculars and have found twilight factor is a very good measure of high quality optics.

Also keep in mind you are using both eyes with the BTX an that makes everything better :)

85mm has 5675 mm^2 surface area of the objective lens and has a twilight factor of 50.5

95mm has 7088 mm^2 surface area of the objective lens and had a twilight factor of 57.66

So by the numbers the 95 is 12.5% better w/regard to Twilight Factor.

When you look at weight, the 95mm weighs 8.5 oz. more than the 85. That’s nothing to me.

Go big or go home is what the numbers say and I have no regrets.

coues32

WKR
Thanks for replies. Hey coues32 are you saying 85 with btx
Yep, have had them side by side in the field, if using for glassing and want clearest view. Yes

Yes 95 is larger but you are jumping up 5 power. Think that is why they said 65mm and 95 were close in view when 1st came out.
Could not tell you on 65 obj, never looked thru one.
Lot of time behind my 85:)

fatrascal

WKR
You probably read that the 85mm has a larger field of view than the 95 which would be correct. the lower the power the more field of view you see. I have the 95mm and it will let more light in due to the bigger objective lens but you will see less area than the 85mm will see. And you will see more area with the 65mm than you will with the 85mm. just like when you increase the zoom on your phone you will see a smaller amount of area but you will be zoomed into the item you are looking at. Back the zoom back out and you see more area. Hope this helps. Fatrascal.

coues32

WKR
You probably read that the 85mm has a larger field of view than the 95 which would be correct. the lower the power the more field of view you see. I have the 95mm and it will let more light in due to the bigger objective lens but you will see less area than the 85mm will see. And you will see more area with the 65mm than you will with the 85mm. just like when you increase the zoom on your phone you will see a smaller amount of area but you will be zoomed into the item you are looking at. Back the zoom back out and you see more area. Hope this helps. Fatrascal.
They were talking clarity between 65 and 95
Not knocking the 95 , 30x would be awesome in 95

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping an old thread

Anybody have any more experience with the 85 vs the 95 with the btx? It seems to maybe make sense that the 85 at 30x could possibly have a better image than the 95 at 35x. And the larger exit pupil of the 85 should aid the 85 as well.

I would think the 95 would be better at more distant viewing, but is the 85 as good or better at scanning and locating game because of the larger field of view and exit pupil? Is the biggest difference simply a 30x vs a 35x view? Or is the 95 better in every way except weight?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bumping an old thread

Anybody have any more experience with the 85 vs the 95 with the btx? It seems to maybe make sense that the 85 at 30x could possibly have a better image than the 95 at 35x. And the larger exit pupil of the 85 should aid the 85 as well.

I would think the 95 would be better at more distant viewing, but is the 85 as good or better at scanning and locating game because of the larger field of view and exit pupil? Is the biggest difference simply a 30x vs a 35x view? Or is the 95 better in every way except weight?

You pretty much nailed it. I’ve spent a TON of time behind the BTX with 85/95 and optically they’re both awesome. The 95 resolution and magnification does help you see more detail and it is better for long range glassing.

This holds true until light fades, then the 85 and 95 come back together and the 85 might actually get you a couple extra minutes of productive glassing. Neither of them are twilight superstars though. You would need the 115 mm Objective to make big gains there.

For smaller country and picking apart a single hillside or basin, the wider FOV of the 85 helps you cover the country more efficiently when it’s closer. With either one, you’re going to want to glass it well with binos on a tripod first because your locked into a pretty narrow field of view either way.

The 85 is more backpack friendly and I attribute that to it’s size rather than the added ounces. I’ve still hauled the BTX-95 all over hell and back - I pack the right objective based on the country I’m glassing. However, you will think to yourself - “Damn that’s a big package!” - when you’re shoving that objective in a low side pocket and strapping it down clear up by the lid of the pack too.

I don’t see myself hauling the 115 objective on many overnight - remote backpack excursions, but it will get lugged to a lot of more accessible glassing points within a mile or two when the situation warrants.

We can rent you both to compare if you want to try them out and decide based on your own opinion https://www.RgunsNgear.com. 100% of both rentals can be applied to purchase if you decide to keep one.

Coop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bkdc

FNG
Just from a practical standpoint, the 85 is far more portable/packable. I think there is a reason why 95mms are so frequently seen for sale on the used forum.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience using the BTX eyepiece with the 65 objective? I currently only have the ATX with the 65 as all of my hunting tends to be backpack. Trying to decide between picking up a 95 objective vs the BTX eyepiece. Wallet cannot handle buying both. Either option would be heavy, but I do feel like the comfort of double eye glassing may be worth it. Is there just not enough light gathering for it to be effective?

Does anyone have any experience using the BTX eyepiece with the 65 objective? I currently only have the ATX with the 65 as all of my hunting tends to be backpack. Trying to decide between picking up a 95 objective vs the BTX eyepiece. Wallet cannot handle buying both. Either option would be heavy, but I do feel like the comfort of double eye glassing may be worth it. Is there just not enough light gathering for it to be effective?
Pat,

I have the whole system except for the 85mm. I mostly use the 65mm BTX and the ATX stays on the 115 for phoneskoping.
I would get the BTX eyepiece before getting the 95. In fact I just sold my 95.

I have zero field experience with the 85.

Good luck. I think you will be happy.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Pat,

I have the whole system except for the 85mm. I mostly use the 65mm BTX and the ATX stays on the 115 for phoneskoping.
I would get the BTX eyepiece before getting the 95. In fact I just sold my 95.

I have zero field experience with the 85.

Good luck. I think you will be happy.
How would you compare the 65 to the 95? Seems like some people either say the 95 blows the 65 out of the water, or that they are surprisingly pretty similar.

How would you compare the 65 to the 95? Seems like some people either say the 95 blows the 65 out of the water, or that they are surprisingly pretty similar.
Practically speaking, the field of view and smaller footprint of the 65mm wins.

The 95mm and 115mm are amazing. I usually glass 1/4 to a mile from my truck. and I carry the 65 BTX every time. I let my buddies carry the 115. Lol

I guess if I had to do it all over again, cash being an issue, I would get the BTX with 85 or 95 and call it good. For the foreseeable future, I will choose the 65BTX with an ME.

brocksw

WKR
I've compared directly the BTX 85 vs the ATX 85. Even in good lighting conditions I felt the single eye piece ATX was noticeably brighter. That's not saying the BTX was unusable, its a swaro, its still great...but if you're after the best light transmission I'd go single eye piece. If you're doing a lot of all day glassing the BTX starts to have advantages in comfort and efficiency with two eyes. Which is right for you is totally dependent on how you'll use it and which setup will check more boxes for you. If you want to digiscope, STX/ATX is the only option unless you want to carry both.

In terms of 85 vs 95 - 95 all day unless you're in an oz counting situation, then I'd go to the 65. I've had the 85 and 95, it doesn't matter who you ask.... take an 85 and put it in their pack, then take it out and put a 95 in their pack....they won't be able to tell a difference. I've done that test on myself and with friends using a day pack and a 5 day load....no one can tell the difference.

Hope that helps.

RMB518

FNG
...most guys get the 65mm and 95mm so they are covered for packing (65mm) and low light (95mm) when packing long distances isn't happening..
Really most guys buy (2)multi thousand dollar spotting scope optics?

Some of us work for a living.

But I like to buy one. The 85mm seems like the a decent compromise between 115 and 65.