Swarovski ATM/ATS 65mm vs ATX 65mm

fatrascal

WKR
Recently I purchased the ATX with 65mm objective and the 95mm objective. I already owned the ATM 65mm in HD with 25x50 zoom eyepiece so I decided to do a little comparison. The ATM is the same scope as the ATS but was made with a different metal which made it 2 ounces lighter but I cannot find the ATM for sale any more so I will consider this test as a comparison between the ATS and the ATX.
Optically in the middle of the day outside in my back yard looking at the leaves of a tree I could not see a difference in the quality between the two scopes. That may be different in low light hours. My ATM does not have the swarovision and the flat glass like the ATX has so if I was looking at an eye chart I would expect to see a little distortion around the edges of the ATM but none in the ATX.
The ATS, according to the specs on Swarovski's website is 12.8 inches long with the 20x60 eyepiece being another 3 inches long and the 25x50 eyepiece being 3.3 inches long.
The ATX is 13.3" long with no specs on the ocular or the objective given seperately. When you lay one scope on top of the other you can plainly see that the ATX with 65mm objective is shorter in length than the ATS with 25x50 eyepiece as shown in the picture below.

OP
fatrascal

fatrascal

WKR
In this next picture you can see again that the ATX is shorter but you can also see that it is thicker with a bigger circumference.

OP
fatrascal

fatrascal

WKR
The body of the ATS weighs in at 39.9 ounces with the 20x60 eyepiece weighing 9.6 ounces and the 25x50 eyepiece coming in at 10.4 ounces. The ATX weighs in at 55.9 ounces when attached to the 65mm objective. Again, the specs did not give seperate weights for the ocular and the objective. As i mentioned before, I could not see a difference in my backyard optically in the middle of the day but I do expect to see differences in my digiscoping pictures and video and will update what I find. Keep in mind that the new ATS, unlike my older ATM, will have the swarovision and the field flattener lenses if you decide to purchase one.

aggieland

WKR
Im interested in buying a swaro spotter but I will be honest im lost with all the details. What scope do you suggest? Im looking at the 65mm or the 85mm. Their are so many choices my head is spinning and my wallet.

OP
fatrascal

fatrascal

WKR
aggieland, sorry for the slow response but I've been out hunting with a friend. As far as which scope to go with between the 65mm and 80mm, I would say that it depends on your style of hunting. If you are hunting out of your backpack for several days or doing a lot of hiking then I suggest the 65mm. If you are hunting from your truck, ATV or a horse then I suggest the 80mm. The power of the ats scopes is determined by the eyepiece. 20 x 60 means that you have a zoom eyepiece that starts on the low power of 20 and can be ajusted up to 60 power and any power between 20 and 60. You can get a 20 x 60 eyepiece for the 65mm and the 80mm scope. The 65mm and 80mm tells you how big your objective lens is. This is the big part on the end of the scope furthest away from you when you are looking through the eyepiece. So if you can have the same power zoom on either scope then what is the advantage of a bigger scope? It simply lets more light into the scope meaning you will be able to get a better picture in the early morning and late evening hours when it is dark. Also, more light is better for digiscoping. Digiscoping is taking pictures and video through your spotting scope.
Is the ATX a better scope as far as quality goes? Personally, when I had these two scopes side by side in my backyard I could not see the difference. The newer ATS and ATX scopes both have the field flattener lenses which helps make edge distortion almost nonexistant. They both now have swarovision lens coatings which I cannot tell you much about. So to answer your question, no, I do not think that the new atx is superior in optical quality when compared to the new ats. The advantage to the atx is that you have the ability to change out your objective lens which you have three choices. You have a choice of 65mm, 80mm, and 95mm. The 95 zoom starts at a power of 30 and can be adjusted to 70 power. So thats whats cool about the atx. I can backpack hunt with the 65mm and use the 80mm or 95mm out of my truck on the winter range or anywhere I might be using my atv or truck. I suggest looking at swarovskioptik.com and eagleoptics.com or even youtube to look into these scopes more deeply. fatrascal.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the hunt for a new to me spotter (used is ok). Not only is there the modular vs. the original option it appears that some of the older ones are HD vs. Non HD. Right? Pretty sure this will stretch my budget as is, so looking for a 20-60-65m. Thinking while I am at it, I might as well get the HD model. Any way to tell this when looking at used one? Is it labeled clearly somewhere on the spotter?

Thanks!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I would clarify a little misinformation in this thread regarding Swarovski's spotting scopes:

1st generation: The Swarovski Habicht AT/ST. These are those old gray spotters without armoring.

2nd generation: The STS/ATS spotters: These were fully rubber armored and more compact.

2.5th generation: The "HD" STS/ATS spotters: These were the same as the ATS/STS, except they included flourite-containing objectives to reduce CA.

2.75th generation: The ATM/STM and ATM/STM HD: These were the same optical design as the ATS/STS and ATS/STS HDs, but the frame was made of lighter magnesium, rather than aluminum

3rd generation: The ATX/STX. This is the current flagship modular system where the prism is integrated into the eyepiece, and the user can choose the objective.

Swaro-speak defined:

Swarobright: dielectric prism coatings.
Swaroclean: hydro/oleo-phobic exterior lens coatings.
Swarovision: A field flattening lens incorporated in the eyepiece design.
HD: high definition; refers to the use of flourite-containing glass in the objective design.

After introducing the ATX/STX system, Swarovski dropped the ATM/STM and ATM/STM HD lines and re-introduced the standard aluminum frame ATS/STS lines. However, now the ATS/STS lines are only available in HD versions (and "HD" was dropped from their name, but still remains on the focus wheel).

All of the ATS/STS and ATM/STM models (HD or Not) used the same eyepiece mount. Several fixed eyepieces were available, but only the 20-60 zoom and 25-50 WA zoom are still produced. "Swarovision" field flatteners are not included in these eyepieces, and are therefore unavailable for the ATS/STS models.

The only spotting scopes with Swarovision flatteners are the ATX/STX models.

hunt_or_bust

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I would clarify a little misinformation in this thread regarding Swarovski's spotting scopes:

1st generation: The Swarovski Habicht AT/ST. These are those old gray spotters without armoring.

2nd generation: The STS/ATS spotters: These were fully rubber armored and more compact.

2.5th generation: The "HD" STS/ATS spotters: These were the same as the ATS/STS, except they included flourite-containing objectives to reduce CA.

2.75th generation: The ATM/STM and ATM/STM HD: These were the same optical design as the ATS/STS and ATS/STS HDs, but the frame was made of lighter magnesium, rather than aluminum

3rd generation: The ATX/STX. This is the current flagship modular system where the prism is integrated into the eyepiece, and the user can choose the objective.

Swaro-speak defined:

Swarobright: dielectric prism coatings.
Swaroclean: hydro/oleo-phobic exterior lens coatings.
Swarovision: A field flattening lens incorporated in the eyepiece design.
HD: high definition; refers to the use of flourite-containing glass in the objective design.

After introducing the ATX/STX system, Swarovski dropped the ATM/STM and ATM/STM HD lines and re-introduced the standard aluminum frame ATS/STS lines. However, now the ATS/STS lines are only available in HD versions (and "HD" was dropped from their name, but still remains on the focus wheel).

All of the ATS/STS and ATM/STM models (HD or Not) used the same eyepiece mount. Several fixed eyepieces were available, but only the 20-60 zoom and 25-50 WA zoom are still produced. "Swarovision" field flatteners are not included in these eyepieces, and are therefore unavailable for the ATS/STS models.

The only spotting scopes with Swarovision flatteners are the ATX/STX models.

HD stands for High Density not High Definition in optics....common misconception though.

WRO

WKR
So having used them side by side in the field, where the ATX/STX wins is when you get into long distance spotting. The clarity at distance (2 miles plus) is very noticeable. Not that the S/M series is poor, but the X series is just that much better. Its really not noticeable at shorter ranges or in a store. As for the objective questions, If you can pack it, I would recommend an 80 at a minimum, they just work better in low light at high power. The 95 mm is really heavy, I personally pack an 85mm and really like it.