Swarovski EL size?

Looking into getting some swarovski el binos and torn on which size... Have 10x50 bx-4s now. Mainly looking at 8.5-42 and 10-42 BUT feel like if i go with 10x42 might as well get 10x50. Will i gain that much clarity and "stabilization" by dropping down to an 8.5x that i wouldn't want the 10x? Will use them for occasional out west hunt and whitetails in the Midwest. Not always planning to bring a spotting scope with me if that changes which magnification i should go with.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CAM_D

FNG
I just went from 10x42 BX-4's to 8.5x42 EL's this year. The field of view is amazing, and I don't feel like I gave up anything in the way of magnification. I hunt only in NM, in open country, and the 8.5 on a tripod are excellent. I keep a set of 18x56 in my pack for getting a closer look, but was watching elk at over a mile this September with the 8.5's.

42's will do it in my experience. 8.5 vs 10...well I prefer the EL SV 10 x 42 for long range glassing in CO, BC, NWT, etc. But my other binos for tree stand hunting and hiking, timber elk, black bears, etc are Leica Ultravid 8 x 32s. Either power will be great glass in the EL and either will likely make you happy. Given you will use them for whitetails a lot I'd probably get the 8.5 x 42. if I were you.

Matt G.

WKR
With the 10x50 you gain 9 ft on fov 6 ounces, extra length and some low light. I would stick to 42.

I also went with the 8.5x42 EL but I am tempted to go the 10x42 NL...
Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
I went from 10x42 SLCs to 8.5x42 EL SVs this year. The 8.5x are still amazing on a tripod, and a little easier to stay steady when handholding. I don't regret my choice one bit.

handwerk

WKR
I have owned both the EL SV's in 10x42 and 8.5x42 and kept the 8.5, I spent many hours comparing the two and felt like I gave up very little magnification dropping down to the 8.5's but was certainly more steady hence a more pleasant view with the 8.5's.

Wheels

WKR
I have owned both the EL SV's in 10x42 and 8.5x42 and kept the 8.5, I spent many hours comparing the two and felt like I gave up very little magnification dropping down to the 8.5's but was certainly more steady hence a more pleasant view with the 8.5's.
Same here.

OP
UWbadger1013
I just went from 10x42 BX-4's to 8.5x42 EL's this year. The field of view is amazing, and I don't feel like I gave up anything in the way of magnification. I hunt only in NM, in open country, and the 8.5 on a tripod are excellent. I keep a set of 18x56 in my pack for getting a closer look, but was watching elk at over a mile this September with the 8.5's.
Did you notice a massive difference in glass quality or would you say it was moderate?

8.5 el’s are the best I’ve ever used and have tried every 10x out. The clarity is better and makes up for loss in magnification on them vs the el 10. The only exception I’ve found is the NL 10 is in a league of its own. All my personal opinion.

playnsea

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a pair of the 8.5x42 EL for sale. Like new hardly used. Switching to NL. Personal message me if interested.

I have the older version of the EL 8.5 x 42. Sold my EL 10x. They just fit the hand great, and are compact and light enough. They are amazing at low light and can see the elk far away at first light. Never had a problem picking out a shooter bull from long distance. The doubler eye piece is a nice addition as well.

PLO5

WKR
Another vote for 8.5X! Clarity, fov, and ease of hand holding beats out the 10 and 12X for me. I think a lot of guys are hung up wanting 10X but I’ve compared both on tripod for hours In all lighting conditions and the 8.5 shines. Big upgrade from slc’s I originally had and I then got 10x el’s to compare but sold 10’s because 8.5 was better. Tried the NL and have to use tripod to find much difference, they were extremely close imo.

CAM_D

FNG
Did you notice a massive difference in glass quality or would you say it was moderate?

It's pretty substantial honestly. I was never a glass snob and hunted with some low end Nikons a long time. I'm a believer now.

Matt G.

WKR
I would have to agree on glass quality and build.. I am not saying you have to spend more to find game but the view is amazing. After using the ELs for a few weeks now, I went back to a compact 8x32 I was using for spot and stalking and I felt like I was watching Neo dodging bullets in the matrix. I never noticed how extreme that curvature was but that was on a $400 bino. Rokslide likes to spend my money!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

For still hunting in thick cover, bow hunting and stand hunting I like my EL 8x32s. The are smaller and lighter than the 42s. I can easily operate them with one hand. For medium range spotting I like the 10x42s but prefer to use them with a tripod or other rest to improve stability.

Firehawk

WKR
I am still shocked at how bad I notice my shaking while using a 10x bino. I tried for years and finally went to an 8x and eventually a 9x (which was occasionally too much, but mostly good). What a huge difference. Then, in a moment of insecurity and weakness, I picked up an older 10x42 EL. They were in terrific condition and I quickly sent them off to have the Outdoorsman's stud installed. When they came back, as expected, I loved them on a tripod. But handholding, I discovered I still had a major issue with shakiness. Sometimes it was okay. But most of the time, I had a real struggle seeing well through them. I'd grab my hat brim for steadiness, lean against a tree or other solid object, anything possible to help me steady the image. But the reality is, I can't hold them still. At 8x, I can handhold for longer periods of time. It just works better for me. I miss my 9x45 Mavens. They were great, and the wider FOV helped ease my mind a bit I believe while handholding.

Just picked up some 8.5 ELs from a fellow forum member here. Can't wait to put them to use. Hope I am not sensitive to the infamous "Rolling Ball Effect" so that I can thoroughly enjoy what is reported as an amazing view. As Matt G. said, Rokslide has cost me a bunch of money over the years. But I am a better hunter, spotter and gear nut today, thanks to all you fellow Roklsiders.

For those who can use a 10x or even a 12x without a tripod, I stand in awe of your power, because I have tried and tried and just cannot.

FH

Most of my 10X glassing for extended periods is done sitting down with my back against my frame pack or a boulder, etc. Legs supporting my arms or with the binos sitting on the spotter which is tripod mounted. My 15s are always tripod mounted but don't go back country hunting for sheep, caribou or moose where I have horn/antler or age restrictions. I typically need the spotting scope combined with a phone skope and iPhone for those hunts.

Off hand glassing is usually a quick check to confirm something is or isn't a critter.