SWFA business model?

SDHNTR

WKR
Can someone decode SWFA’s business model for me? Are they an actual storefront? Do they ever keep any inventory of any sort? Honestly, every single SWFA thing I have ever looked for there is on back order. I’m beginning to think that’s just their SOP and method of inventory management. Basically, not keep anything in stock and make you “backorder” stuff which is really just nothing more than a pre order so they know how many units to manufacture. I’m not talking about other brands that they sell, I’m talking about SWFA branded optical items.

I know nothing about their business model, but the less desirable products are in stock pretty frequently, and the more desirable products used to be.

BjornF16

WKR
They are (or used to be) a storefront in Midlothian, Texas. I’ve been there many times.

When talking with them a couple of weeks ago regarding back order that arrived, I mentioned I wanted to drop off my 5-20 to have them look at an occlusion that popped up in that scope. They said they have closed the store front for the time being. Not sure it will re-open.

They used to have great inventory of rifles, scopes, suppressors and ammo (and other shooting supplies). That was all pre-COVID though

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Sounds like they’ve changed their business model! Me thinks they aren’t keeping Jack in stock these days on purpose.

amassi

WKR
I think it's a supply issue coupled with increased demand. They used to run regular black Friday blow outs on the swfa ss scopes($199 with rings). I don't think they ever recovered from the 2019 black Friday sale closely followed by the pandemic.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
I immediately thought of something else when I read the title. Yesteryears tech at modern prices.

Agree. I’ve had a 3-9 and a 5-20. Sure, they are solid, but they are nothing special, just buy a Nightforce. Nightforce 4-16 atacrs have replaced both of those for me, but the SHV series compares favorably to the swfa. I also prefer the Bushnell lrhs 2 and lrts, to the swfas.

People only want them because they can’t have them.

NDGuy

WKR
Stuff was in stock all the time before covid, and they have plenty of restocks on their scopes the last year?

Not sure what you mean by business model lol they are an online retailer like the other 100s out there.

They make a great reliable product that is priced attractively for a lot of people, high demand low inventory

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Agree. I’ve had a 3-9 and a 5-20. Sure, they are solid, but they are nothing special, just buy a Nightforce. Nightforce 4-16 atacrs have replaced both of those for me, but the SHV series compares favorably to the swfa. I also prefer the Bushnell lrhs 2 and lrts, to the swfas.

Show me the Bushnell priced competitively with the 3-9 (when in stock)

You’re ignoring a massive difference in cost and weight. The SWFA 3-9 may not be a modern design, but no one is making a modern design that does what it does. The LRHS/LRTS scopes aren’t exactly current anymore either (but again, they still do something most modern scopes do not).

BjornF16

WKR
20 oz SWFA 3-9 vs 28-30 oz SHV, NX8, LRHS

I’m still waiting on my SWFA to arrive. In the meantime I have all the scopes above plus a 26oz Tenmile

slowelk

WKR
If I’d bought an atacr 2-3 years ago I would be money ahead vs all the scope flipping I’ve done since then. Sure, side by side if you’re just going to buy once the atacr is much more, but I know all of you guys are flipping gear for a loss and those losses add up to what you could have bought the more expensive scope for the first time.

As for the weight, sure, the 3-9 is in a class of its own in terms of FFP mil scopes. The 5-20 is 30oz though.

And the Bushnell has way more features. Zero stop, locking windage, and reasonable weight. Can be found used for $700-$900.

woods89

WKR
We need Nightforce to make the 3-10 SHV in a FFP, mil/Mil version, with a reticle like the Mil-quad. Then it wouldn't matter what SWFA kept in stock. I sent them an email requesting something like that awhile back.

I love my SHV, but it's hard to ignore the ease of the wind bracket system with mils, and one of my big fears is not realizing in the moment that I'm not at full power when I'm using the reticle.

amassi

WKR
We need Nightforce to make the 3-10 SHV in a FFP, mil/Mil version, with a reticle like the Mil-quad. Then it wouldn't matter what SWFA kept in stock. I sent them an email requesting something like that awhile back.

I love my SHV, but it's hard to ignore the ease of the wind bracket system with mils, and one of my big fears is not realizing in the moment that I'm not at full power when I'm using the reticle.
They'd make even more of a mint with F1 nxs line especially the 2.5-10 and 3-15. Mil spec F1 3-15s are going for 3k when they pop up.

woods89

WKR
They'd make even more of a mint with F1 nxs line especially the 2.5-10 and 3-15. Mil spec F1 3-15s are going for 3k when they pop up.

No argument on this, but I sure like the under 1k price tag on the 3-10 SHV. Not sure if they could maintain that with the mentioned modifications or not.

I've had a 3-9 on backorder for almost 5 months now. Whatever the business model is, it sucks. What if I break one of the 6 swfa scopes I own? My 2 10x's are always in stock but what about the 6x's, 3-9 and 2.5-10? When would I get a replacement? Great warranties mean nothing if the company can't keep a reasonable supply on hand.

Honestly, I'll probably move on from swfa unless they get their shit together soon. Too many other companies out there with great products and a dependable supply chain.