Switched dogs to raw diet...WOW

ianpadron

WKR
After some thoughtful conversations, lots of reading, and too many anecdotes to ignore we switched our bird dogs over to a full raw diet 3 months ago, and after a full hunting season under our belts, won't be going back to kibble...ever.

Couple things first, there are plenty of vets who support feeding raw, including some who have published excellent books on the topic.

Next, it works out to roughly the same cost as feeding Purina Pro Plan Sport (~$90 a month)

Last, aside from the first few days when their guts are adjusting, there is no gas and no diarrhea. Quite the opposite in fact. Dogs poop maybe once a day, and it has almost zero odor. They used to drop 4 or 5 doogies every walk on kibble and it smelled like death 🤣

Haven't noticed any changes in our 2 year old Brittany who is as high energy as bird dogs get, aside from he no longer has any dandruff and doesn't chew at his wrists. Energy still high octane, jet fuel, crackhead level. Weight remaining steady around 40 pounds.

Our 6 year old golden however is basically a new dog. Confirmed multiple times this past season by buddies who hadn't hunted over him in a couple years. Seemingly endless energy during the hunt, where he'd normally drag ass after a full 2 day stint in the field and be on my heels, even when he was younger and at the same weight. He'd always hobble around after a big hunt for a few days, that's now a thing of the past. He'll br tired, but not sore. Coat is Fabio level luxurious. He gets the zoomies on every walk and seems noticeably happier, cool to see!

They get a mix of deer, antelope, elk scraps etc, lots of organ meat, chicken, necks and backs, etc. sardines, salmon, etc. with the occasional whole egg. We add bone meal and a few supplements just to make sure they're balanced. They get a tiny amount of frozen veggies and pumpkin to account for any micronutrients.

Anyway, I figured I'd share since I know there are a lot of guys on this forum who love their bird dogs and likely want the best for them, including a longer useful life in the field. It was a convo with a fellow hunter who had a 15 yo golden still going strong that really pushed me over the edge, and now we're all in.

Worthy of consideration 👌🏼

kickemall

WKR
Do you feed it fresh after running it through a grinder and freeze some then thaw it out as needed?

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Do you feed it fresh after running it through a grinder and freeze some then thaw it out as needed
We just feed them fresh chunks, cut right before they eat. They've got their own compartment in the fridge we thaw meat and then just cut what they need, takes about 5 min.

I freeze all my big game trimmings in blocks and toss those in their bowls once thawed. Only thing we boil is bear scraps.

The Golden is big enough that he can eat chicken drummies whole, so he requires much less prep/oversight compared to the lil fella.

Last edited:
OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
my terrier eats 100% human food but not raw...it is cooked and cold leftovers get heated up for him..
I believe the world's oldest known dog who just recently passed (31 years old!!!) ate the same meals as his owners his entire life. Good call

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like I read somewhere that certain states don’t allow game meat to be used for pets. I’ve always been interested in doing this for my dog. Every time I give my dog leftover tbones her teeth are cleaner. It just seems right that canids shouldn’t be eating highly processed foods, similar to us I would say.

We just feed them fresh chunks, cut right before they eat. They've got their own compartment in the fridge we thaw meat and then just cut what they need, takes about 5 min.

I freeze all my big game trimmings in blocks and toss those in their bowls once thawed. Only thing we boil is bear scraps.

The Golden is big enough that he can eat chicken drummies whole, so he requires much less prep/oversight compared to the lil fella.
This is a very interesting article, and I have a fairly open mind. Plus the damn Purina PPS has just gotten ridiculously expensive.

On the chicken, are you saying the golden eats the drummies bones and all? I've always been told (right or wrong) that dogs can't have bird bones because they're hollow and piece their bellies. In fact, I was always told not to give them any smaller bones due to risk of splintering and poking their guts.

Please advise...

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I feel like I read somewhere that certain states don’t allow game meat to be used for pets. I’ve always been interested in doing this for my dog. Every time I give my dog leftover tbones her teeth are cleaner. It just seems right that canids shouldn’t be eating highly processed foods, similar to us I would say.
I believe you're correct, fortunately MT isn't one of those states, I think AK "prohibits" it even though sled dogs eat nothing but salmon and moose lol.

I will say that going forward I'll be scooping as many B tags as possible. Backstraps and roasts for us, lower legs and scraps/organs/bones for the boys, much better for everyone involved.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
This is a very interesting article, and I have a fairly open mind. Plus the damn Purina PPS has just gotten ridiculously expensive.

On the chicken, are you saying the golden eats the drummies bones and all? I've always been told (right or wrong) that dogs can't have bird bones because they're hollow and piece their bellies. In fact, I was always told not to give them any smaller bones due to risk of splintering and poking their guts.

Please advise...
Yup he eats 5 chicken drummies, bone in, uncooked. Usually gives each one about 10 good crunches.

From all the reading we've done, most dogs larger than 60 pounds or so can eat uncooked non-weightbearing bones from large 4 legged animals (ribs, scapulas, etc) and all bones from 2 legged animals such as birds and small mammals like bunnies, squirrels, etc.

Cooked chicken bones splinter and can kill a dog (or human), raw ones are actually quite malleable.

You do need to be careful if you've got a dog that devours food, as they might try to swallow the drummy whole instead of giving it a few good crunches.

If you want to be safe, a lot of folks simply supplement with bone meal or chicken backs/necks to make sure they're providing ample calcium and phosphorus.

If there's one thing we've learned during the process, it's that your average veterinarian is about as trustworthy when it comes to nutrition/exercise as your average MD is for humans (not very).

Each dog is unique, just like us, so the basic principles are the best starting point, then you can cater specifically to your dogs habits/needs.

We've been on raw for the last 5+ years with our GSD. I now buy from a commercial processor, same reputable shop that does deer, other game, beef, etc.

Works out to about $2.10/lb, for an 80/10/10 mix (protein meat/organs/bone) pre ground and vacuum sealed 3 lb tubes.

Cost is similar to what I was spending before since hes 100 lbs. Prior to it, our vet bills were insane due to skin allergies. We were on an "elimination" trial with commercial food, on some kangaroo meat mix, $80 for like a 25-30 lb bag, which wouldnt even last a month, before I decided to switch to raw based on my readings.

Plus the benefit of the smaller poops.

Prior to this we did our own thing, bought chicken livers in bulk, rotated proteins (chicken, beef, etc) with it.

Its a lot easier to buy it pre-packaged.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
We've been on raw for the last 5+ years with our GSD. I now buy from a commercial processor, same reputable shop that does deer, other game, beef, etc.

Works out to about $2.10/lb, for an 80/10/10 mix (protein meat/organs/bone) pre ground and vacuum sealed 3 lb tubes.

Cost is similar to what I was spending before since hes 100 lbs. Prior to it, our vet bills were insane due to skin allergies. We were on an "elimination" trial with commercial food, on some kangaroo meat mix, $80 for like a 25-30 lb bag, which wouldnt even last a month, before I decided to switch to raw based on my readings.

Plus the benefit of the smaller poops.
Your experience mimics every single report from owners who have switched their pups over we came across.

That pre ground mix sounds pretty legit, might have to call around locally to see if anything similar exists as the game trimmings only get us so far.

NYSKIER

WKR
Wife would freak if I went to raw diet but I’m very interested. Will have to bring in up in a few years when the little guys are older

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
Wife would freak if I went to raw diet but I’m very interested. Will have to bring in up in a few years when the little guys are older
My wife originally had some serious reservations but has now become the biggest proponent of it.

She did all the calculations for the boys supplementation regimen, tracked their intakes and weights the first few weeks, and has now read multiple books on the subject (one included below for ya to check out)

After seeing the benefit in our dogs our only regret is not doing it sooner. Variety and minimally processed foods do wonders for our canine best buds, that's for sure.20240109_171219.jpg

prm

WKR
My dogs love venison. I need to shoot more deer!

Being fed up with regular dog food, we’re trying supplementing with Badlands Ranch dog food. Their fur is noticeably nicer!

I will check out that book for more ideas.

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
i switched my Boykin over to real food and he too was like a new dog. started getting allergies when he was about 2 so I switch over to cooking his meals, he’s now 9 and other than his gray face people think he’s a puppy with how much energy and play he’s got. I tried raw for a few months but switched to throwing meat and some frozen veggies in the crockpot and then just tossing it in the fridge, little more convenient for me and he enjoys it. I’ll Never feed any dog kibble from here out. Im happy more folks are doing the same. I Give him a little spoonful of virgin coconut oil a few times a week as well, great superfood

Clark33

WKR
For an average lab sized dog how much are you feeding them and how many times a day?

Right now we’re on kibble morning and evening to total the daily recommended portion.