Switching from the Xtherm

cmahoney

WKR
I have been using my Xtherm for my back pack hunts for the last three years. I am a side sleeper and can’t do it anymore.

Anyone out there have the same issue and what have you gone to? I am seriously considering a thermarest cot because the sleep would be worth the extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve done a little reading on this, being a side sleeper as well. I’m curious what you’ve experienced that makes the Xtherm not for you. Seems like a lot of guys go to one of the Klymit V models but I haven’t figured out why.

Hmmm. Haven’t gone cot but I am intrigued. A bit concerned that in addition to the cot, you still need some kind of pad, although I assume you could get away with a light, thin one. Seems like 3lbs for the large thermarest version plus a 1 pound pad is a lot of weight, not to mention that those things are $$$.

I am a side sleeper also and heavy (#250). I converted to an inflatable pad a couple of years ago and I have a neoair and an extherm. I also have a klymit static v. I like the therma rests the most.

I find the inflatables much better than my old school self inflators, especially for side sleeping. I tended to bottom out at the shoulder and hip with the old self inflators pads so I picked up the habit of running them with a closed cell foam pad underneath. Prior to switching to a inflator, my set up was a 3/4 thermarest on a full length ridge rest or zlite pad.

I still like a closed cell pad for camp cushions and to protect from punctures so I recently added a very thin closed cell pad from seek outside to the mix that is cut to the width of the inflatable pads and weighs 4.5 oz.

I now mix and match the inflators and the closed cell foam pads based on packing weight and duration of the trip. For lightest and least comfort I go with just the closed cell pad or the neoair. Normal set up is the neoair or xtherm with the light foam pad which doubles as a camp and glassing / blind sitting seat. Heaviest set up is the xtherm + ridge rest gets used for snow camping and when a little extra weight is not as much an issue. It gives the best cushion and the ridgerest is a bulky but bombproof camp seat and glass pad/mat.

Just a thought but a $30 closed cell foam under your pad may help a lot and might be worth a try before you dive into the cot thing.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Xtherm for one trip and just could not get comfortable at all as a side sleeper. It has a great reputation but for me it was extremely noisy and I could not find the right amount of inflation to use. I ended up with an exped downmat and for me I think it’s the closest I’m going to get to a comfortable night on the ground. I’ve had it for two years and have used it close to 100x and haven’t had a single issue yet.

CiK01

WKR
Side sleeper as well. I had an Xtherm and switched to a Sea To Summit Comfort Plus and noticed a big difference. Increased weight, but was able to sleep through the night for the first time. I would buy another if something happened to this one.

Jbehredt

WKR
Side sleeper as well. I had an Xtherm and switched to a Sea To Summit Comfort Plus and noticed a big difference. Increased weight, but was able to sleep through the night for the first time. I would buy another if something happened to this one.

Made the same move after last year. Wife liked my sts so much that she hung up her ba q core Slx as well. It’s a significant weight penalty but it’s the only inflatable I’ve laid on and said “aahhhh”.

Have you guys every considered training yourself to sleep in a different position? I injured a rib and couldn't stand to sleep on my side, either side. I've managed to switch my sleeping style and I'm going to try to keep it up.

Side sleeper and spent most of my time at 240-250# on my Xtherm. (Thankfully Keto has dropped me to 215-220 at this point and hopefully lower for the upcoming season ). Haven’t had any issues with my Xtherm pad. Added a luxurylite cot for overnight kayak camping trips and couldn’t be happier. It’s an extra 3# but worth the weight for me as long as I’m not headed 10 miles up the mtn. Still use my Xtherm with my cot but never had an issue using the pad by itself.

I'm a bigger side sleeper as well and enjoy the Xtherm. I am probably going to get a bigger, thicker pad for truck camping but if I'm packing, especially in cold weather, I'm bringing the xtherm.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
This cot is 2.6 pounds and 2 pounds if you leave a couple of the legs off. I’m sure I could use it by itself. I have slept on military cots plenty of times without a pad on top and they were much more comfortable than my Xtherm.

I’m still on the fence and considering another pad. Thanks for the suggestions.

Therm-a-Rest Ultralite Cot, Regular - 24 x 72 Inches https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0OY1TK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_rTqMCb9Y9D12V

I have been using my Xtherm for my back pack hunts for the last three years. I am a side sleeper and can’t do it anymore.

Anyone out there have the same issue and what have you gone to? I am seriously considering a thermarest cot because the sleep would be worth the extra weight.

I am thinking about the Nemo Tensor but cannot find much feedback?

Trial153

WKR
Cots are great...however you still need to use a pad or you will freeze your nuts off. That weight adds up quick.
You best bet is get a thicker pad that suits you. And use the cot as well when weight isn't an issue.

A good thing to do is add a closed cell pad under your current pad and see if it helps....its cheap and useful to have. If it does you can either use the combo or start looking for pad that works better for you.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I started a thread on this last year being a side sleeper. I ended up running the Comfort Plus as well. I slept on it 24 nights last year and I am a believer.

Jbehredt

WKR
Have you guys every considered training yourself to sleep in a different position? I injured a rib and couldn't stand to sleep on my side, either side. I've managed to switch my sleeping style and I'm going to try to keep it up.

Learned to sleep on my back in boot camp. It can be done.

Not to hijack the thread, but what makes the sea to summit better than the xtherm? Just curious?

Tod osier

WKR
Could it be you are running your inflatable Xtherm fully inflated?

I'm a side sleeper- Exped- and running it just a little under inflated is the ticket.

Yes on this. I never loved our neoair xlites inflating them all the way. My son (8 or 9 at the time) was deflating his and and i gave him a hard time for messing around. When it said it was more comfortable That way tried it and have been super happy.

CiK01

WKR
Not to hijack the thread, but what makes the sea to summit better than the xtherm? Just curious?

I suspect it has something to do with the “air-sprung cells”. They feel like they distribute my weight instead of just my whole body sinking into the baffles on other pads. I would venture a guess the two independent chambers add to the difference too......inflate to the max on 1 and tune the second to your body’s needs.

I am just guessing though. All I can tell you is that my body thanked me.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Could it be you are running your inflatable Xtherm fully inflated?

I'm a side sleeper- Exped- and running it just a little under inflated is the ticket.

I’ve tried it with different levels of air, I found about 90% full works the best.