T&K Hunting Gear Gaiter Review, By Matt Cashell

These things are burly.

Ounce counters will probably stick with replacing lighter-duty gaiters every season or two, but gear abusers are really going to appreciate the durability of the T and Ks.

Well done @Matt Cashell. I’m a gaiter guy and also notice they don’t last nearly as long as the companies like to think they do. The OR crocs have treated me well but always end up with holes at the flex point.

Well done @Matt Cashell. I’m a gaiter guy and also notice they don’t last nearly as long as the companies like to think they do. The OR crocs have treated me well but always end up with holes at the flex point.
I have thrown away a pile of OR crocs over the years. I usually ran into the velcro closure at the toe delaminating within the season. I would shoe-goo it back to together, but then the velcro wouldn't stick, etc. Also, the fit is kind of weird on me and the strap buckle ends up so low on my boot that I bash it into every rock, eventually breaking it.

They are still a good gaiter, but the T and K gaiters solve literally all of the Croc issues for me.

I have thrown away a pile of OR crocs over the years. I usually ran into the velcro closure at the toe delaminating within the season. I would shoe-goo it back to together, but then the velcro wouldn't stick, etc. Also, the fit is kind of weird on me and the strap buckle ends up so low on my boot that I bash it into every rock, eventually breaking it.

They are still a good gaiter, but the T and K gaiters solve literally all of the Croc issues for me.
Yeah that little tab is worthless. If it makes a season it’s a win! Haha

I didn’t see that in the review. How is the calf fit? I have chicken legs for calves. The OR work fine but the kennetreks are baggy.

Yeah that little tab is worthless. If it makes a season it’s a win! Haha

I didn’t see that in the review. How is the calf fit? I have chicken legs for calves. The OR work fine but the kennetreks are baggy.
There are two calf sizes available, M/L and L/XL. The cool part is there is enough Velcro to really customize the fit.

Definitely go for the M/L if you have thinner calves.

Noise is an issue for me, had a pr of exped crocs which were far noisier than the regular crocs. The expeds are made of a shiny cordura. Bought a pr of inexpensive snake gaiters made of cordura but lined with turtleskin, are very quiet in the brush, cactus won’t penetrate. Branded Turtleskin gaiters are a lighter weight nylon similar to crocs and noisy as well. The quiet cordura gaiters look to have a brushed surface that may quiet the fabric, are the T&Ks of the brushed cordura?

Noise is an issue for me, had a pr of exped crocs which were far noisier than the regular crocs. The expeds are made of a shiny cordura. Bought a pr of inexpensive snake gaiters made of cordura but lined with turtleskin, are very quiet in the brush, cactus won’t penetrate. Branded Turtleskin gaiters are a lighter weight nylon similar to crocs and noisy as well. The quiet cordura gaiters look to have a brushed surface that may quiet the fabric, are the T&Ks of the brushed cordura?
The T and K have a standard 1000D Cordura fabric face. They are not silent like fleece, but they do quiet down a bit when broken in.

Thanks for the review Matt!

I want to point out a few things from questions on here. We use Mil-Spec Berry Compliant Cordura. As mentioned, the "shiny" Cordura is pretty typical of the cheaper versions of Cordura (many overseas versions) that are not Mil-Spec and Berry Compliant. The Cordura we use is not shiny and plastic feeling. yfarm stated "brushed", but I think he means a more cloth feel, which would be an accurate description of the Cordura fabrics we use (similar to Kifaru as an example). It's a far superior version of 1000D and 500D Cordura from the other Cordura's in the world.

Additionally, people get confused with the hardware and whether it is supposed to be inside or outside the boot. There is no left or right gaiter and it's completely up to user preference.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

Additionally, people get confused with the hardware and whether it is supposed to be inside or outside the boot. There is no left or right gaiter and it's completely up to user preference.

I preferred the hardware on the outside so the clips didn’t have the chance to bang together when walking.

It was a toss up for me between Stone Glacier gaiters and T & K. I went with SG. I don’t regret it and at the same time I do. I don’t like the under the boot strap that SG uses. It’s similar to para cord but then they put a dumb stiff rubber sleeve over it. It does not allow me to tighten up the lower part of the gaiter. Fit has been good and everything is durable and the moisture stays out. Next time (very soon), I’ll be purchasing gaiters from T & K. Should have the first time.

Back