Tacoma 100,000miles

My 2019 Tacoma is coming on its 100,000 mile mark in the next few months. Besides oil changes and air filters its been great and no problems. Just wondering what suggestions you guys would have on preventive maintenance that needs to be done checked. I like to drive my vehicles into the 200,000 mile mark before thinking of getting a new one.

Next service will probably be new tires and breaks
Thanks

CorbLand

WKR
I would change the diff fluid and ATF if you havent.

Spark plugs if they are original.

Shake the front end down and check the ball joints and hubs/bearings. Check the ujoints. Not really anything that needs to be changed preventatively but at 100K, if they havent been changed yet, you should be getting close.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
I think the guy is above pretty much have it covered. Not sure about the Tacoma but for 4runners the ATF needs to be changed every 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
OP
M
yep, just breaking it in. Pretty much take it everywhere and it has been great. Cab is a little on the small side but I get 20mpg and have been happy with it.

Just want to make sure to stay on top of things. Planning on Colorado, Utah 2x and Idaho this hunting season. With a 6ft bed I can pretty much be good for 10 days at a time.

Thanks

MattB

WKR
Believe it is 60-100K if it is an automatic transmission.
That is what I understood from reading online (the manufacturer intervals are beyond vague), but my 4runner auto started shifting hard at ~75K and my mechanic chided me that I was 40K+ overdue. This is a guy who has sent me home with instructions on how to DIY a fix I intended to pay him to do and consistently comes in under estimate, so not someone who is just trying to make a buck by selling me something I don’t need.

CorbLand

WKR
That is what I understood from reading online (the manufacturer intervals are beyond vague), but my 4runner auto started shifting hard at ~75K and my mechanic chided me that I was 40K+ overdue. This is a guy who has sent me home with instructions on how to DIY a fix I intended to pay him to do and consistently comes in under estimate, so not someone who is just trying to make a buck by selling me something I don’t need.
Interesting. I don't know, just know what I have read and heard.

Not saying he is wrong but my brother will, and I quote, "only use full synthetic oil because it is better than conventional and lasts longer." but he still changes it at 3K on the dot. Some people hold onto old beliefs.

Full synthetic ATF should be good well past 30K, depending on use. But it is cheap and trannys are expensive...

MattB

WKR
Interesting. I don't know, just know what I have read and heard.

Not saying he is wrong but my brother will, and I quote, "only use full synthetic oil because it is better than conventional and lasts longer." but he still changes it at 3K on the dot. Some people hold onto old beliefs.

Full synthetic ATF should be good well past 30K, depending on use. But it is cheap and trannys are expensive...
I might doubt it if it was just a recommended interval, but my tranny had started noticeably acting up. Luckily the hard shifting decreased after the service and total went away after ~1,500 miles.

There is a filter that I was told has a recommended replacement in the ~100K range, which is more in line with what I thought I knew.

tony

WKR
2019 still have a timing belt? I'd change it if so

I'd do all the fluids front to back, synthetics maybe?

My 09 4.0 Tacoma was the easiest vehicle I've owned to work on. I did all the maintenance
I replaced all the fluids with synthetic. I don't know if their is any real advantage

Shit gas mileage which I'm reading even these 24/25 models are not much better.
More recalls on the the 09 then any vehicle I've owned.

I'm going to let the newness and bugs to get worked out and then look at the new gens. I really like that 4 Runner.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m getting ready to change my front and rear diff and transfer case oil.

I’ve heard mixed things on ATF. Some people say don’t mess with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

7mm-08

WKR
It may be conservative, but my Toyota mechanic changes all fluids (including brake fluid) in our Toyotas every 30,000 miles. This schedule has served our 2000 Tacoma well. We have 170,000 miles on the vehicle with no major repairs. I believe Toyota has a service interval schedule for each and every vehicle it has ever produced.

CorbLand

WKR
2019 still have a timing belt? I'd change it if so

I'd do all the fluids front to back, synthetics maybe?

My 09 4.0 Tacoma was the easiest vehicle I've owned to work on. I did all the maintenance
I replaced all the fluids with synthetic. I don't know if their is any real advantage

Shit gas mileage which I'm reading even these 24/25 models are not much better.
More recalls on the the 09 then any vehicle I've owned.

I'm going to let the newness and bugs to get worked out and then look at the new gens. I really like that 4 Runner.
Nope. Tacomas have had a chain since 2005 or somewhere in that range.

tony

WKR
Good to know, never had an issue with mine.
Wasn't sure of the dates for belts vs. chains

Finch

WKR
I'd check your drive belt for cracks and replace. Gates makes a decent belt. Keep your old as a spare. I just hit 260K on my 06 tacoma.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t drive a Tacoma, but I do change the atf every 60,000 on my vehicles. My service truck I drive for work has 309,000 miles right now - I’m always towing with it and it’s still on the original transmission.

Rich M

WKR
Check the manual and see what the suggested things were since you last had it in for maintenance. Im at 53,000 on a 2021. Probably bring in to dealership at whatever the big number is and let them go thru it. Want it to last.