Part 2: I paid the stupid money for the 22 yr old Tacoma

The thread and the Prey Drive kicked in after missing my opportunity on two vehicles pushed me over the edge. I put in a decent run to buy a "new" rig.

I am still catching my breath and cleaning out the cobwebs of What did I just Do? I may have gotten completely steamrolled. I don't think so. But these vehicles go so quickly, there isn't a ton of time to kick tires.

What I got:

1999 Tacoma. Solid title. No Brand, Refurb, Salvage, etc. Actual truck had way more miles that I expected when I arrived. BUT....

A "new" JDM motor installed within last month. Have shipping labels and tags from Japan to NY to WA I believe. I didn't scrutinize too much. Looked good enough to match the Story at a quick glance. Engine is SUPER clean. New timing belt and all Toyota parts at install. Engine oil was brand new and extremely clean. On the inside of the bay I could see Sharpie notes of previous owner changed the former engine's belt in 2014.

5 speed manual (was my requirement) All brand new clutch, flywheel, bearing and fork. Shifts WONDERFULLY.

Underside is VERY clean. Zero rust. Could remove shocks (Blisteins) today with little effort. All clean. Like super clean.

Rear E Locker (requirement). Rear slider. Aftermarket stereo. Tweeters in the pillars and everything works. Quality install. USB for iPhone which sync'd right up, plus BT.

Not one wrinkle in the body. Very nice. Was painted. But it's very straight. Tailgate may be aftermarket as it doesn't say TOYOTA. But it's straight and closes well.

Door handles open pretty tight and sluggish. A bit odd. Passenger side wants to self lock. Dash is mint. Nothing seems clapped out. Drove it 6 hours home. Speedo reads LIGHT of all things. Tires are reallllllly cheap but fresh 31X10.5X15. Insides treads are way wonky, which I am thinking is causing some of the vibration?

$640 install receipts from last months Rack n Pinion install. All new. Goes down the road very very straight. Hands off the wheel. Zero play or slop.

After spending some time in it, it runs and drives very nice. I put my Chesapeake in the passenger seat for 3 hours. Holy Schit is this truck SMALL. I wanted smaller. But this thing could fit in your back pocket. DAMN!

I paid $10,500

OP
J
Per seller....who I think acquired the truck in a land purchase or a swap of some kind...he knew the prior owner very well. Stated that guy ham handed changing a spark plug and cross threaded a plug, then tried helicoil, which failed and F'd up a cylinder. So they installed low mileage used.

WKR

WKR
How are the inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, cv boots, etc??

Wrench

WKR
I've gone to running centramatic wheel balancers on my trucks. A bit of scratch up front....but tire life goes up because they dynamically balance all the time.

Wrench

WKR
"Well known"? Source?

I've never seen a Toyota on the side of the road, let alone missing a front wheel.

Mine had over 300k when I sold it on stock joints....ball, ujoint....everything. I literally jumped it every week during its last 100k miles.....never left me stranded.

WKR

WKR
It is pretty well known the lower ball joints were a bad design. While mine never failed on my first gen tundra they were about to go along with the rest of the front end. Thats why I sold her and bought this

Attachments

• 156496997_10223727008236555_3822229979218482228_o.jpg
    156496997_10223727008236555_3822229979218482228_o.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 189

Vandy321

WKR
It is pretty well known the lower ball joints were a bad design. While mine never failed on my first gen tundra they were about to go along with the rest of the front end. Thats why I sold her and bought this
In 200k miles in tacomas, I've never had one fail nor heard of anyone having issues. Unless you completely neglect what your truck is telling you, in which case I guess that's a separate issue. Clunking, vibrations, etc...all warrant a look. But I think to imply they just go out and throw a tire is a bit of a stretch. And I certainly wouldn't just replace a perfectly good ball joint
because someone posted on the internet they "can" go bad.

"Well known"? Source?

I've never seen a Toyota on the side of the road, let alone missing a front wheel.
The source is me and EVERYONE I know that's put hard miles on these trucks. The ball joints are prone to catastrophic failure vs simply wearing out and becoming sloppy.

If you've never seen a Toyota on the side of the road you need to have your eyeballs checked. The Toyota's on the side of the road are next to the Tikka's that shoot poorly and the broken Kifaru stuff. It's not everyday, but it's real.

In 200k miles in tacomas, I've never had one fail nor heard of anyone having issues. Unless you completely neglect what your truck is telling you, in which case I guess that's a separate issue. Clunking, vibrations, etc...all warrant a look. But I think to imply they just go out and throw a tire is a bit of a stretch. And I certainly wouldn't just replace a perfectly good ball joint
because someone posted on the internet they "can" go bad.
Correct they don't go from fine to thrown.
But most guys running 33s and up replace about every 100k.
Some of the aftermarket ones I've heard only make it 25k

WKR

WKR
If you don't believe it do a Google search on 1st gen Tacoma or tundra ball joint failures. They have a TSB/recall for the first gens lower ball joints.

Vandy321

WKR
The source is me and EVERYONE I know that's put hard miles on these trucks. The ball joints are prone to catastrophic failure vs simply wearing out and becoming sloppy.

If you've never seen a Toyota on the side of the road you need to have your eyeballs checked. The Toyota's on the side of the road are next to the Tikka's that shoot poorly and the broken Kifaru stuff. It's not everyday, but it's real.
"Everyone" he says. OK.

So no real source? Just one or two guys who know a guy👍

Still never seen a tacoma on the side of the road, including the 2 I've owned.

Your last sentence summed it up perfectly, while also contradicting your previous statement that it's overly common..."its not everyday, but it's real". Meaning, it's not a well known issue, but can happen once in a blue moon.

Op, stay on top of your regular Mx...check your drive train and suspension parts regularly, Grease as needed, replace when worn out. All will be well.