TAG BOMB bag material

Curious if anyone has tried their hand at making a set of game bags, similar to TAG BOMB bags...

I see they use "Game-Vent" fabric, whatever that is.

I'd like to sew up a set during the winter months, but without having ever laid my hands on their bags, I am not sure which readily available fabric to use.

Never used them either but the Black Ovis ones say they are made with Taslan Nylon. I've never used those either though.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you guys are trying to source a similar material as what I use for TAG Bags, you'll want to get down to the range of 70-denier nylon or polyester goods with around a 65-pic thread count.

Takes about 3 yards to make a set of BOMB Bags.

It's expensive and a little hard to find in small qty.

We don't sell the material.

WKR
Appreciate you chiming in Larry, thank you!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tbuckus

WKR
Great idea but I don't think it's worth it..
I'm cheap but I won't attempt it after seeing how well they performed with my last elk. Big elk hanging in the trees for a couple days while packing it out.
I have one caribou bag and the tag bag cleaned up,better that that one.

dotman

WKR
I doubt the savings vs time is worth it. I understand making your own quilt, bag or shelter considering the high cost of these items but to make a low cost item vs time and learning curve doesn't seem like it will pay off. I also I bet a similar stretchy, breathable and durable product will be a higher cost then the avg nylon that has no stretch but is durable.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
guys, it's barely worth the expense as a product that i make in high volume, much less making a few sets. The R&D on this product was time sucking and expensive to dial in the right fabric and performance. The only reason TAG Bags became a product was because i couldn't afford to make just a few dozen sets without a lot of investment and trial and error. I had to go for the plunge with TAG Bags just to see that we have top shelf meat bags in our community.

But I'm 100% behind guys making their own gear. Our minds need this type of exercise, IMO.

Larry

OP
cvandervort
First off- I'm all for investing in companies like Larry's. I like that they are connected to this community, and that their products were born out of necessity, and not just marketing.
That being said, I have a little one on the way, a sewing machine in my garage, and a few months to kill, so I'm tossing around some projects in my head: nomad-type bag for my frame, another quilt, another box stove, an 8 man tipi, etc.

Appreciate everyone weighing in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boreal

WKR
For what you are getting, buy the TAG Bags.

I bought a set a few years ago, and didn't learn about the issue people had with some seams coming out. One seam in one of my bags blew out on a very heavy load of deer. I continued to use that bag for at least two years, when I learned that Larry had been replacing the bad bags. Several years after I bought the bags, and after at least five hunts, Larry sent me a new set, no questions asked.

These are an awesome quality product that will last you years. There are many things worth making yourself. But do yourself a favor you won't regret, and buy the TAG Bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wetzel

FNG
guys, it's barely worth the expense as a product that i make in high volume, much less making a few sets. The R&D on this product was time sucking and expensive to dial in the right fabric and performance. The only reason TAG Bags became a product was because i couldn't afford to make just a few dozen sets without a lot of investment and trial and error. I had to go for the plunge with TAG Bags just to see that we have top shelf meat bags in our community.

But I'm 100% behind guys making their own gear. Our minds need this type of exercise, IMO.

Larry

I bought a set of your tag bags and used them this year, they are amazing. Based upon your response I will forgo making some of my own and buy more from you!. I appreciate your candor and advice!

Manosteel

WKR
Larry is awesome, have 2 sets of tags bags that have been using since 2012, I think, and they have held up to regular abuse on numerous elk, moose, Mule deer, mine and those of family and friends. His books and DVD's are also great, entertaining and informative.

Keep up the great work Larry.