tags

ncelkhtr

FNG
I am 28 and from North Carolina. My buddies and myself go out west to hunt elk almost every year for the last 4 but what we really want is to go on a sheep or goat hunt. My only regret so far is not applying before now. Just looking for some advice on the best chance to draw a tag on good numbers of animals. if it is possible i would like to do a DIY hunt, i take pride in being able to do things on my own but honestly after actually getting drawn and not being able to scout since i live on the opposite side of the country i dont know if thats possible. We don't are anything about trophy book animals, we just want to hunt and have the best chance to get a shot. Just looking for some advice on maybe which state or areas i should concentrate my efforts on.

thanks
Zack

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Start applying in every state that has goats. Or buy a governor's tag or raffle type tag, or just buy a guided hunt in BC or AK. Trying to DIY a goat hunt with no experience goat hunting and living on the opposite side of the country might be a tall order. Good luck.

OP
N

ncelkhtr

FNG
yeah i know it would be thats why I would more than likely go with a guide. i just need all the advice i can get on where to apply. depending on how much each state keeps after applying i may not be able to apply everywhere every year, i need to narrow it down

jm1607

WKR
For goats:

MT gives out more tags than any other state by far..

WY has no point system and is about a 3% chance to win..

ID has no point system and decent odds.. Probably a little bit better than WY when you consider the sneaky 10% NR cap.. Very expensive to apply though.. If you wanna hunt somewhere wicked rugged/remote like Frank Church then your odds of winning are pretty damn good..

CO is one of your better options if you can float the tag cost..

UT only if you are already applying there..

AK/BC have fairly cheap goat hunts.. 8k-11k should get you a good goat combo hunt..

Those would be my best suggestions.. I would subscribe to GoHunt or Huntin Fool and start reading, tons of good info.. Worth every penny if you're going to start applying and hunting out West..

Here's a very general list of states and prices: https://www.huntinfool.com/licenseapp/images/pdf/2015LicAppBooklet.pdf

Last edited: