Taking 5 year old hunting?

Im thinking of taking my 5 year old daughter hunting this fall. Curious if anyone has taken their 5 year old before or if thats too young? My dad said he took me when i was 6. Obviously shed just watch (and learn)!

I’m fortunate in that we have access to a guys farm and one of those super fancy blinds that looks like a mini house on stilts. So we will be pretty comfy and can make some noise not worry about movement. Im thinking taking her for an hour or two one evening during October archery here in Virginia for whitetails. My biggest concern is if she’d be traumatized if i shot a deer. Thinking she wouldnt, kids are pretty mentally tough when you let them know all is OK.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance!

Bland316

Lil-Rokslider
I am taking my 4 year old. She's so excited to go. She will most likely scare anything that comes out, but I'm ok with that. I just want to spend time with her and that's a success in itself right there. Seeing any deer will just make it that much better. She has to learn sometime.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I took my 5 year old daughter last year. Barbies, coloring books. Stay warm and don’t stay long. If they want to leave roll out. Make it fun not about killing an animal.
I took my son at 5 turkey
Hunting first. Well let’s say he was all about killing one but when two Toms came in strutting he started jumping up and down yelling “ here they come, daddy”. Then there they went. We still laugh about it. Great memories

kda082

WKR
Not at all, perfect time. I took both my kids with me, son observed until he was 8. It’s a great intro to the outdoors. I’m sure your kids have seen the end result and have probably watched hunting shows. Took them scouting also. Be patient, bring things for them to do, understand when they’re with you it’s about them not so much you and your success.

Marble

WKR
Bring lots of snacks.

Don't plan on killing anything.

Bring her to range first.

Give her electronic ear muffs.

You have to make her comfy, entertained and not scared. Otherwise she may have a bad experience. At 6, be prepared to leave at any moment. And almost most importantly, make sure she knows how to go pee in the woods.

I took my older two daughters, youngest didn't want to. They are both killers. I started with them taking pictures with the horns. Trying on my backpack and clothes, shooting a red rider. Bought them their own clothes/boots. They got excited and wanted to go. It's totally doable but just know your limits.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
I took my 5 year old daughter last year. Barbies, coloring books. Stay warm and don’t stay long. If they want to leave roll out. Make it fun not about killing an animal.
I took my son at 5 turkey
Hunting first. Well let’s say he was all about killing one but when two Toms came in strutting he started jumping up and down yelling “ here they come, daddy”. Then there they went. We still laugh about it. Great memories

My limited experience was exact same. Brought a kindle with a few shows and some headphones and some good snacks. We had a blast. He was ready to get down right before sundown hahaha. We walked some forest roads and then drove around looking at deer.

I tried not to overthink it too much. Was one of if not the best hunting memory I have so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve started taking my kids scouting this year and i just let them roam but not to far. You would be surprised how quickly they pick up on it. Plus if you get lucky like me. They see the rattlesnake laying next to The deer bed your looking at.

OP
540-Virginian
If a deer came in id shoot it, but agree goal is just her going out in woods. She says she wants to go has seen me with deer. Good tips on bringing something for her to do. She has her own binoculars and again the blind/stand is one of those super nice boxes with glass windows so she can talk and move around. Im thinking just seeing a deer would be cool then we can go home.

DanimalW

WKR
My daughter is 5 and thinks hunting is cools. She talks way to much and can’t sit still long enough to deer hunt outside of an enclosed blind. Her and my two year old son have both seen dead deer, pheasants, and turkeys. Their just curious about it. The only time she was traumatized was when I had to shoot a baby bunny that my lab found (crushed femur sticking out). She said it’s ok to kill big animals for food, but not the cute little babies. It was a tough situation to explain to an emotional child.

I did get her a youth bow to start target shooting with, but for now, I’ll stick to taking her fishing

wjohnson1983

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken my son when he was 4 and 5. Agreement with the wife is only shoot something in front of him if it's a wall hanger, but it's probably moot. He's seen the killing on tv and when you ask him what you do with deer he says you eat them.

Be sure to have snacks and something to play with.

That’s my boy when he was 5, temp was in the 20’s with a good breeze when we left the truck. But he did much better than I expected. You’ve received good advice above. I’m going to do a lot more hunting with my kids this fall. Life just too short not to.

77d79d73fa35b9461b8ea7f72a6a4450.jpg

afc39a871732b5d83790cce3d82d8538.jpg

Zdub02

WKR
That's how I got started with my dad. He'd make a ground blind at the bottom of his stand and I'd tie his pull rope to my belt loop in case he saw a deer, he'd tug the rope so I knew to look around. I'd bring games or books or just nap. Can't hurt to take her and you won't know until y'all try it. Go make some great memories together!

EastMT

WKR
Yes, I’ve taken my boy since he was 4. Don’t count on killing anything, you may get lucky but being quiet enough is tough, wiggle non stop, ooooh look a butterfly etc.

Enjoy the time with them, don’t be frustrated because you already know what’s coming haha. We found a ground blind of a brush pile where only our heads stuck out, that helped to cover the movements.

Also clear a 6’ area of dried leaves if you are an the ground, because those legs never stop moving!

OP
540-Virginian
That’s my boy when he was 5, temp was in the 20’s with a good breeze when we left the truck. But he did much better than I expected. You’ve received good advice above. I’m going to do a lot more hunting with my kids this fall. Life just too short not to.

77d79d73fa35b9461b8ea7f72a6a4450.jpg

afc39a871732b5d83790cce3d82d8538.jpg
Look at him hold that leg, what a champ!!

whaack

WKR
Depends on the child. Took my oldest at 5 and he could sit 3+ hrs with no issue in a stand. My middle I love to death but 1hr in he’s ready to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Montucky

WKR
Hunting with your kids changes everything! & those are beautiful changes! My daughter turns 12 this October has two muleys on the wall in her bedroom & can’t wait for October to get here so we can fill her special permit she drew this year…..Awesome advice mentioned above from the group!…especially the snacks & practice going pee without mom around, & lots of warm clothes! My daughter looks at hunting so much differently than I do & sees so many things that I overlook…..she’s gonna be 10xs the Hunter that I am & I sit & smile

vortex

Lil-Rokslider
Man do it. I live in lousiana and kids can hunt with you at any age. All 3 of my kids (2daughters and a son) killed deer at 5 and 6 years old. Its a blast. Bring them on short hunts and leave when they ready until they are older so you dont ruin them. They will be ate up with it when theyre older. At least 2 of mine still are at 13 and 20. Other 18 yo still likes it but doesnt love it! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jbxl20

WKR
Definitely take her out a few times! I let my son bring his toy bow along. Just Make it fun for them.