Taking a knife to Canada?

fwafwow

WKR
Last minute question. I am headed to Vancouver Saturday for a 5 day bus tour of BC. We will cross the border on a train from Seattle (and return the same way). I am debating taking a basic folding pocket knife - either a James Folsom, or a tiny Elko. Based on my research, it sounds like I'm OK if I don't want it for self defense or consider it a "weapon" (it's a "tool"), and that I can't have an assisted opening mechanism (OTF/OTS, etc.). But is it just an unnecessary PITA?

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve carried a knife for over 10 years.

Just make sure it’s visible, I just clip it on the edge of my pocket with the knife in my pocket.

Don’t bring anything with a spring. Straight folder only or it’ll get tossed at the border

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I’ve carried a knife for over 10 years.

Just make sure it’s visible, I just clip it on the edge of my pocket with the knife in my pocket.

Don’t bring anything with a spring. Straight folder only or it’ll get tossed at the border
Thanks. Do you think that clipped and visible at the border is better than inside a large suitcase?

jek5224

FNG
Take a folding pocket knife without a thumb stud if you have one. Should be fine. If/when they ask if you have any weapons, the answer is "No."

Take a folding pocket knife without a thumb stud if you have one. Should be fine. If/when they ask if you have any weapons, the answer is "No."
I tend to agree.

took my hunting bow up there for a week long family outing at a our family cabin on a lake so I could practice. At the border, I got the “do you have any weapons?” Question. I said yeah I got a bow in the back of the truck. Canadian border guy was a native French speaker and thought i said ”Bowie” as in big knife and asked me to stand aside while he tore the contents of the truck bed apart. He completely ignored that axe, machete, bush blade, saws and other potentially evil items that I had for a land clearing project and never tried to search the cab of the truck. Go figure.

I chalked it up to language issue and assume these guys probably get brownie points for confiscating certain items.

jek5224

FNG
I tend to agree.

took my hunting bow up there for a week long family outing at a our family cabin on a lake so I could practice. At the border, I got the “do you have any weapons?” Question. I said yeah I got a bow in the back of the truck. Canadian border guy was a native French speaker and thought i said ”Bowie” as in big knife and asked me to stand aside while he tore the contents of the truck bed apart. He completely ignored that axe, machete, bush blade, saws and other potentially evil items that I had for a land clearing project and never tried to search the cab of the truck. Go figure.

I chalked it up to language issue and assume these guys probably get brownie points for confiscating certain items.

I also made the mistake of wearing a camo hat while crossing the border, and the agent, who I think was bored (we were the only vehicle there at 6 a.m.) grilled me about hunting and gun ownership. Didn't search the vehicle, but I had to deal with his power trip for a few minutes.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
Last minute question. I am headed to Vancouver Saturday for a 5 day bus tour of BC. We will cross the border on a train from Seattle (and return the same way). I am debating taking a basic folding pocket knife - either a James Folsom, or a tiny Elko. Based on my research, it sounds like I'm OK if I don't want it for self defense or consider it a "weapon" (it's a "tool"), and that I can't have an assisted opening mechanism (OTF/OTS, etc.). But is it just an unnecessary PITA?
I live in Vancouver and carry a pocket knife daily. Don't bring anything spring loaded. Cops won't say a thing but if they do it's "a work tool or for cutting your food". Knife laws in Canada are actually pretty relaxed surprisingly. If a cop "tries" to confiscate your knife than ask for a "confiscation file#. Turns into a big headache for them and they'll prob just let you keep your knife.

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
I recently went to Vancouver from Seattle and didn't even think about my knife being illegal. Border crossing agent asked about guns, but nothing about knives.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I crossed into BC at Blaine/Surrey while pulling my RV and the agent ask if I had any weapons, I told him I had my pocket knife. He didn't want to see it and didn't seem to care I had it, but he did ask me if I had firearms at home and wanted to know what type (pistols vs rifle's) it shocked me as a U.S. citizen that a Canadian border agent wanted to know if I had firearms at home back in Oregon...

WCB

WKR
I crossed into BC at Blaine/Surrey while pulling my RV and the agent ask if I had any weapons, I told him I had my pocket knife. He didn't want to see it and didn't seem to care I had it, but he did ask me if I had firearms at home and wanted to know what type (pistols vs rifle's) it shocked me as a U.S. citizen that a Canadian border agent wanted to know if I had firearms at home back in Oregon...
Why would you say yes. Just say no.