Talk me out of 7saum

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I have around 150 pieces of 7saum brass but lately have been interested in the 280AI. Someone please talk me out or into the 280AI because i'm seriously considering switching my build.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I would by your brass if you switch 😆 seriously though
I would by your brass if you switch 😆 seriously though
Oooooooh you sly fox. I am seriously on the fence I can at least get 160gr partitions from midway with the AI in a pinch or one of the other online ammo places I can find ammo I'll pay more but i can find it. But shoot me a pm so I can have your user name that way when i'm ready to drop the deposit with APR i can let you know.

rootacres

WKR
If you're considering switching your build from the SAUM to a 280 AI. You're building on a long action. Coming from someone that owns a 7 SAUM and is a huge fan. If I was to build a 7 today, and it couldn't be a 7 SAUM, it would be the 7 PRC.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
If you're considering switching your build from the SAUM to a 280 AI. You're building on a long action. Coming from someone that owns a 7 SAUM and is a huge fan. If I was to build a 7 today, and it couldn't be a 7 SAUM, it would be the 7 PRC.
The largest cartridge i've shot so far is a 270win how does the recoil compare or should i just have apr add a removable brake.

Depends what you want out of a rifle- lighter, shorter barrel, compact rifle go 7 saum on a true short action like a M7, maybe a short LOP or even a folding stock. Traditional long action, 24" barrel go 280ai. Something in between like a Defiant medium action go 7 PRC or 7 WSM

rootacres

WKR
The largest cartridge i've shot so far is a 270win how does the recoil compare or should i just have apr add a removable brake.
I’ve never fired a 270 but the 7 SAUM shoots like a dream with a good brake. The 280 AI is basically the same as the SAUM. The 7 PRC has slightly more than all 3. I don’t know the numbers but I had a 300 WSM with an APA brake on it. That rifle weighed about 8 3/4 lbs and was a pleasure to shoot. I would think the 7 PRC would be similar to that. My 7 SAUM is a little milder than the 300 WSM.

I personally like brakes. Spotting shots at distance is really nice, especially on solo hunts. It really helped me on a solo coues hunt I did. Some on here are not fans of brakes and make some valid points.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never fired a 270 but the 7 SAUM shoots like a dream with a good brake. The 280 AI is basically the same as the SAUM. The 7 PRC has slightly more than all 3. I don’t know the numbers but I had a 300 WSM with an APA brake on it. That rifle weighed about 8 3/4 lbs and was a pleasure to shoot. I would think the 7 PRC would be similar to that. My 7 SAUM is a little milder than the 300 WSM.

I personally like brakes. Spotting shots at distance is really nice, especially on solo hunts. It really helped me on a solo coues hunt I did. Some on here are not fans of brakes and make some valid points.
apr recommended the 7prc over the saum but since i could source brass for the saum i kind of decided on that road. by the time i have my deposit ready and the rifle is built 7prc components could be available but i'm so undecided part of me wants to go with a more readily available cartridge but i don't mind reloading or buying more expensive ammo i'm about a month or 2 out so i have time

rootacres

WKR
apr recommended the 7prc over the saum but since i could source brass for the saum i kind of decided on that road. by the time i have my deposit ready and the rifle is built 7prc components could be available but i'm so undecided part of me wants to go with a more readily available cartridge but i don't mind reloading or buying more expensive ammo i'm about a month or 2 out so i have time
Rolling into 2023 I have to believe some of these components issues have to start fading some. While getting some of the stuff might not be easy, it should be more doable and have less sacrifices. But who really knows.

I do however believe that the 7 PRC will be received well. With that, component availability and factory ammo options will grow. . 18 months from now, my guess would be that there will be more factory loaded 7 PRC options than 7 SAUM and as much or more brass available.

If you were hell bent on staying in a short action or even a medium action the SAUM is great. I was listening to a podcast on the 7 PRC and they basically explained that they couldn't squeeze the performance out of a short action case and stay within 65k pressure. The 7 PRC does so comfortably. Sounds like your build is on a long action.

I don't think there is a wrong answer. They are both great. You won't avoid components sourcing issues with either initially (IMO). You could sell your SAUM brass in 5 minutes if you wanted to. I don't plan on ditching my 7 SAUM anytime soon. But mine is built on a short action w/ 22" tube.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Rolling into 2023 I have to believe some of these components issues have to start fading some. While getting some of the stuff might not be easy, it should be more doable and have less sacrifices. But who really knows.

I do however believe that the 7 PRC will be received well. With that, component availability and factory ammo options will grow. . 18 months from now, my guess would be that there will be more factory loaded 7 PRC options than 7 SAUM and as much or more brass available.

If you were hell bent on staying in a short action or even a medium action the SAUM is great. I was listening to a podcast on the 7 PRC and they basically explained that they couldn't squeeze the performance out of a short action case and stay within 65k pressure. The 7 PRC does so comfortably. Sounds like your build is on a long action.

I don't think there is a wrong answer. They are both great. You won't avoid components sourcing issues with either initially (IMO). You could sell your SAUM brass in 5 minutes if you wanted to. I don't plan on ditching my 7 SAUM anytime soon. But mine is built on a short action w/ 22" tube.
I really think i'm over contemplating things. I will more than likely stick with the saum as a true short action as I don't plan on doing anything crazy load wise and i don't mind hitting up gun broker for ammo just for the brass. the 280ai will be 2nd if i suddenly lose the urge to want to reload

I own a custom 280AI. I have a 7saum that should be ready by end of February. 280AI shines in a 24-26in barrel ( any shorter velocity suffers) 7saum can run 19-24in barrel and still produce excellent velocity. Both can be fueled by the same powder. I wanted a 7saum bc of shorter barrel lengths.

I do have a lone peak razor Ti action put back just in case in a few years I decide to try a 7PRC.