Talk me out of a tikka

You could always get a gen 1 Ruger American for cheap. You might have to send it back to Ruger once or twice, but when you get it working it'll get a lot done for you. I have both rifles - my Tikka is better, but I can carry the Ruger with confidence. Not saying a Ruger is my recommendation, but it is an option...

I’d take a Browning X-Bolt (with a $20 trigger spring upgrade) or Seekins PH2 over a Tikka any day of the week. I’ve had all three now..

The Tikka has more aftermarket comparability and a bombproof reputation, hence the cult like following. That said, they aren’t without their flaws and most people are going to end up spending some additional coin on them to get them configured how they want them.

The Seekins PH2 is the easy button for a sub $2k factory rifle.
I have had 3 Tikka rifles over the years and they all were fine rifles my friends had to have and they still use them. Tikka is never the wrong answer IMHO. I now have 3 Seekins rifles. When the Seekins shows up everything is done for you. It arrives in a good stock that was individually bedded with a Timney trigger and arguably the best customer service around. You can post a question on the FB group and Glenn Seekins or a customer service rep will answer. My only complaint with Seekins is they don’t make a .223 trainer bolt gun.

IDVortex

WKR
How about a fierce instead? It gives you a modern look but you might get lucky have a old fashion smooth rifling barrel?