Tapatalk problems

worx53

WKR
Just thought I'd post this to see if something can be fixed. I subscribe to at least 10 tapatalk sights. Rokslide doesn't load at least 50% of the time when going to specific threads. It has my trending , participated, subscribed titles but when individually selected it just says " loading". When it doesn't I check the other sights which always seem to work fine. I use tapatalk for rokslide 90% of the time. Anybody have solutions or suggestions? Anything I'm doing wrong or not setup properly?

Trial153

WKR
Yea Tappa and Rokslide hasn't been getting along ...I get error message saying it can't connect to the forum.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had ongoing issues for a few months and only with rokslide. Clearing cache on the app seems to help slightly but definitely sporadic issues loading threads.

What phones?

Ryan,
I'm still having problems too, but only when not on my home wifi since you added my IP as an exception to the firewall. Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. It think it has something to do with a combination of Tapatalk having an aggressive re-request and the firewall detecting that action as a DDoS. I think there is some resource that is not loading and TT is re-requesting it at a high rate. I can trip it fairly regularly and it prevents me from making any request to the server including via chrome and then I turn on/off LTE which causes me to get a new IP and chrome works right away. If I get time this weekend I'll fire up wireshark to try and capture all of the requests and try to identify exactly which resource is hanging it up.
Matt

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I'm 100% sure its the firewall not playing nice with TT. But what I can't figure out is why androids are having more issues than Iphone. Sucuri is also looking at this too. Thanks for the help Matt.

Brendan

WKR
Working fine for me - latest version of iOS. Doesn't seem to matter if it's wifi or Verizon's network either.

Still have to log in several times a day on ipad not on the mac book. Must be an ipad thing. Have tried several hints off apple forum to no avail. Will live with it

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 100% sure its the firewall not playing nice with TT. But what I can't figure out is why androids are having more issues than Iphone. Sucuri is also looking at this too. Thanks for the help Matt.
Not sure i agree with your detective work here. A firewall is a allow or not allow device....black or white...on or off. Slow or delayed connections are not indicative of a firewall problem UNLESS the processor on the firewall is high and packets are being dropped or tcp timeouts are occurring.

Ive got 20 years of network engineering experience at some very high levels if you'd like some help troubleshooting.

Not sure i agree with your detective work here. A firewall is a allow or not allow device....black or white...on or off. Slow or delayed connections are not indicative of a firewall problem UNLESS the processor on the firewall is high and packets are being dropped or tcp timeouts are occurring.

Ive got 20 years of network engineering experience at some very high levels if you'd like some help troubleshooting.

It is temporarily blocking the IP because it is identifying the requests as an attack (probably DDOS). I believe there is some resource that isn't loading correctly and TT is persistently requesting it causing the firewall to flag it as a DDOS. Ryan added my home network to the firewall whitelist and I have no problem at home, but when I switch to LTE and a different IP I will get blocked. I then can't even load the web page until I turn off LTE and go to HSPA+ causing an IP change.

Most modern firewalls now have adaptive algorithms for detecting different forms of attack such as DDOS, ping of death and other types of brute force attacks. The behavior I am seeing is not slow or delayed; it just plain won't work for a certain amount of time after some number of successful requests. The problem is that there are no TCP timeouts occurring at all. What I saw when logging the requests was a 403 forbidden being returned for a specific resource and TT kept insistently requesting it which I believe was causing the firewall to flag as an attack.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
It's 100% the firewall, I can see it. I talked to TT today and relayed the info to Sucuri. Hope to have a fix soon.

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
It is temporarily blocking the IP because it is identifying the requests as an attack (probably DDOS). I believe there is some resource that isn't loading correctly and TT is persistently requesting it causing the firewall to flag it as a DDOS. Ryan added my home network to the firewall whitelist and I have no problem at home, but when I switch to LTE and a different IP I will get blocked. I then can't even load the web page until I turn off LTE and go to HSPA+ causing an IP change.

Most modern firewalls now have adaptive algorithms for detecting different forms of attack such as DDOS, ping of death and other types of brute force attacks. The behavior I am seeing is not slow or delayed; it just plain won't work for a certain amount of time after some number of successful requests. The problem is that there are no TCP timeouts occurring at all. What I saw when logging the requests was a 403 forbidden being returned for a specific resource and TT kept insistently requesting it which I believe was causing the firewall to flag as an attack.

If there is an IPS/IDS module or appliance that is having the firewall dynamically shunt traffic then yes.

Do you have a packet capture?

If there are no timeouts then that leads me to believe the server is not responding.

lak2004

WKR
Any updates on a fix? I've been having issues and have contacted Tapatalk support multiple times with no response. It will work occasionally, but not consistently. Im on a Samsung GS5

I got all excited thinking it was finally going to be fixed... Until I saw the dates of these posts :-( For what it's worth 60-80% of the time Rokslide won't load (Droid, Samsung Galaxy S4) but 3 other forums haven't had the problem even once. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on WiFi or using mobile data.