Tarptent

Matthaias

FNG
I was gifted a Rainshadow 3 from my in-laws a few years ago when they first introduced it. It is solid for the weight and size, big enough for two people and bags. I even chose it over my bivy sack for solo trips because the weight and pack size is similar. It can be hot for a mid-day nap if there is not much in the way of shade. Cool small company out of Nevada City CA I believe.

Last edited:
Would these tents do well on a caribou hunt in the brooks range?
Definitely not. I too have a SS2 but it's a 3 season tent and for the Brooks you wanna bomb-proof shelter like these.

If you aren't carrying it on your back (fly in-float out) and aren't worried about the weight, then a larger tent like this would be my choice:

The weather can get crazy nasty out there, hurricane strength. Your life depends on your shelter and a bigger tent is gonna make a prolonged stay indoors much more bearable.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a Motrail the last year and a half. Setup is quick and the tent has withstood a blizzard and some pea size hail. Condensation has been a minor issue when I camping next to a lake on nights where it rains. Overall, for me having the built in floor and bugnet was needed to have a single tent for summer and fall.

The Hunt Backcountry Podcast interviewed the tarp tent founder on podcast episode 291.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Definitely not. I too have a SS2 but it's a 3 season tent and for the Brooks you wanna bomb-proof shelter like these.

If you aren't carrying it on your back (fly in-float out) and aren't worried about the weight, then a larger tent like this would be my choice:

The weather can get crazy nasty out there, hurricane strength. Your life depends on your shelter and a bigger tent is gonna make a prolonged stay indoors much more bearable.
Tons of videos of people using Scarp 1s and 2s in prolonged high winds, that's the reason those two models are hugely popular in England/Scotland for their crappy weather. The SS2 isn't a 4 season tent, but the Scarps both are. Hille is never a bad recommendation though, but TT does have true 4 season models available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CO-AJ

WKR
I looked at them before I bought my Seek Outside and Z-Packs. Stratospire II Li was my fav, but I also like the double rainbow. In the end the stratospire didn't pack down as well as the SO or Z-Packs due to the corner supports and since they are made in china I opted for a different route. All reports I read though was that they were a good product.

I looked at them before I bought my Seek Outside and Z-Packs. Stratospire II Li was my fav, but I also like the double rainbow. In the end the stratospire didn't pack down as well as the SO or Z-Packs due to the corner supports and since they are made in china I opted for a different route. All reports I read though was that they were a good product.
I prefer the SS2 solely because I'm a big guy and it's 5" or more taller than those others you mentioned.

P1010866.JPG

bowonly

FNG
As mentioned, Tarptent has a wide variety of tents for different uses. Backpacking the Brooks Range? Look at the Scarp 1 or 2 with the extra support poles. I bought one for the MacKensie Mtns in the NWT. Yes, the guide had a Helleberg. He planned to use it professionally for many years and probably got it on a pro deal. Fine tents and the choice for professionals. I believe they cost more, weigh more, and maybe more rugged over time. I figured the Scarp would do just fine for my occasional uses and probably outlive me. I was right on the first count and it remains to be seen on the second!