TBAC Ultra 7 or Scythe Ti?

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Sell me on one vs the other from folks who have used them. Recoil reduction and attenuation are the two things I am most interested in as the weight and length are in line with what I want. Will be going on a Seekins Havak Element in 6.5PRC.

Just out of curiosity, why not a TBAC Magnus-S instead of an Ultra-7?
On a bolt action 6.5 PRC, I would take dBa reduction over recoil reduction all day everyday. Full auto capability has no function in my currnet setup, The PRC doesn’t have much recoil to begin with. That’s why I have an Ultra-7 over the Magnus-S as the main focus was dBa reduction packaged in a lightweight offering. The Ultra-7 weights 8 oz compared to the Magnus S at 14.1 oz.

Tahoe1305

WKR
On a bolt action 6.5 PRC, I would take dBa reduction over recoil reduction all day everyday. Full auto capability has no function in my currnet setup, The PRC doesn’t have much recoil to begin with. That’s why I have an Ultra-7 over the Magnus-S as the main focus was dBa reduction packaged in a lightweight offering. The Ultra-7 weights 8 oz compared to the Magnus S at 14.1 oz.
Saying the ultra 7 weighs 8oz is a tad misleading. Its really 10oz if you include the DT or brake to mount.

Scythe will outperform the ultra 7 (based on a few reports on here and other forums) at a true 8.25 oz fwiw and can be made a bit less even with a flat end cap (~7.8oz). Its an inch shorter too (albeit thicker).

I’ll throw in I think the enticer STi at 6.8” and 8.4oz on my scale will also out perform the ultra 7 but from a less known company.

Last edited:
On a bolt action 6.5 PRC, I would take dBa reduction over recoil reduction all day everyday.
I wasn't referring to the RR version of the Magnus-S, just the regular version which I believe is 2dBa quieter than the Ultra-7. As someone else noted it's 4oz heavier than the Ultra-7 since the Ultra-7 actually weighs 10oz but if that sort of weight range is more than you like it's a moot point anyway. Given your criteria it seems you'd be better off with the Scythe.

Saying the ultra 7 weighs 8oz is a tad misleading. Its really 10oz if you include the DT or brake to mount.

Scythe will outperform the ultra 7 at a true 8oz fwiw and can be made a bit less even with a flat end cap. Its an inch shorter too (albeit thicker).
I was answering the question; comparing The Magnus S to the Ultra 7. He, nor I ever mentioned the Scythe. While you make valid points, it has no bearing in the question I responded to. And the Sycthe didn’t exist when I ordered my Ultra-7.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I was answering the question; comparing The Magnus S to the Ultra 7. He, nor I ever mentioned the Scythe. While you make valid points, it has no bearing in the question I responded to. And the Sycthe didn’t exist when I ordered my Ultra-7.
Hmmm. OP asks about the scythe and ultra 7 so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Yea, OP asked about Scyhte vs Ultra-7. I wasn’t responding to that. I quoted and responded to “JohnJohnson“ question about Sycthe to Magnus -S.

I have nothing negative to say about the Sycthe. Looks impressive, has great data. Admittedly I am not a huge fan of Silencer-Co but that would not deter me from giving it a try or recommending it to others.
All good, just commenting on my use. Admittedly, the Magnus - S didn’t exist either when I bought my Ultra 7. It’s nice to have options and great that companies continue to innovate.

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I would rate in order of importance:
1. weight to attenuation ratio
2. overall weight
3. overall length
4. recoil reduction

Should have been more clear to begin with as to why I narrowed it down to the two. On either option I will get direct thread to save some weight.

I bought the Havak because it was light with a fairly short (21'') barrel. This will be my backcountry hunting rig so weight is at a premium.

The Scythe is new enough that finding first hand experience has been difficult but if it far out performs the Ultra 7 I will jump on it.

cams

FNG
My 1st gen Ultra 7 has maybe 5k rounds of 308 on it and a handful rounds of 300 PRC. No point of impact shift. Minimal weight. Frequently get people at the range asking what suppressor I’m using and commenting how quiet it is. Clean with CLR after carbon build up increases weight. Just my personal experience with the TBAC.

OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
My 1st gen Ultra 7 has maybe 5k rounds of 308 on it and a handful rounds of 300 PRC. No point of impact shift. Minimal weight. Frequently get people at the range asking what suppressor I’m using and commenting how quiet it is. Clean with CLR after carbon build up increases weight. Just my personal experience with the TBAC.
Exactly the kind of first hand experience I was hoping for on this thread!

Anyone done an accuracy/POI test on the Scythe vs Ultra 7? I think that’s mainly where TBAC shines is the repeatable accuracy and lack of POI shift on their cans.

cams

FNG
I liked the Ultra 7 a lot I ended up buying an Ultra 9 also 1st gen for my precision rifle. Both CB brake attachment. I still love my Ultra 7. I’m sure the gen 2 is awesome but I see no reason in getting one because the 1st gen works just fine.

I’m a big fan of TBAC. The repeatability is important to Me for hunting rifle. They suppress really well too and their weight is fantastic. I’d go ultra 9 or Magnus just for the quietest

Last edited:
OP
bergie

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
Lets throw the Banish Backcountry into the mix in comparison to the other two mentioned above as well. Is it a distant 3rd behind the other two?

WKR
I think that’s mainly where TBAC shines is the repeatable accuracy and lack of POI shift on their cans.
Either TBAC has done an amazing job marketing this, or I'm missing something. All of the companies tout accuracy and consistency for their cans, and most people say their groups tighten with a can, regardless of brand.

Is there any data to back up what people always say about poi shift for TBAC being less than everyone else? Are we talking group size with a can vs without, or zero shift with the can vs without?

Going from a radial brake to dt nomad lt, my zero shifted up and right 1" ish. I can't remember exactly. The brake to dt dd sti was within a scope click. Groups were about the same or a little tighter with both cans vs without.