Technique for rifles that kick?

Pickettpuncher

Well Known Rokslider
I’ve been loading for it, Peterson brass, CCI 250s, 140 tipped gamekings and IMR7977.
If your loads are that inconsistent you might try something else. You shouldn’t get moa and groups and the next time you get 2” groups. Unless it’s in you. Consistency is key thru all of it.

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
@sndmn11 , should've made that bet, I was 0.045 MOA too fat. Sucks to suck. But hey, I was sitting from a tripod 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

7mm Rem Mag, Titanium action, carbon wrapped barrel, carbon fiber stock.

Zero'd for 168 Berger Hybrid hunter, but shot 162 ELD-X as I had a partial leftover box that I could spare in the name in internetting.

Recoil will be a little less than the weatherby, so instead of prone with bipod & rear bag, I shot sitting from a tripod to make it a little spicier (shot numbers not in order)

1660318068077.png

Zero check on a 6CM. I used 8 shots instead of my normal 5 before shooting a little steel. Shot from the prone with bipod & rear bag.
1660318235400.png

sndmn11

Well Known Rokslider
@sndmn11 , should've made that bet, I was 0.045 MOA too fat. Sucks to suck. But hey, I was sitting from a tripod 🤷‍♂️ :ROFLMAO:

You're batting better than an All-Star though!

Do you plan to adjust your zero for the creedmoor, get more data, or attribute it to the position? What was that load?

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
You're batting better than an All-Star though!

Do you plan to adjust your zero for the creedmoor, get more data, or attribute it to the position? What was that load?
Yeah, I'll adjust the zero on that Creedmoor. Below are three 5-shot groups (plus a center bullseye if you're counting all shots) from a month ago. Precision dropped off, so I pulled the barreled action, pulled scope from action, and pulled suppressor, cleaned it decent, and put it back together.

1660319976655.png

All 15 aggregated
1660320021477.png

The resulting zero from the disassembly/reassembly is about 0.1 mil right. I meant to adjust zero after my last Kraft drill (12 shots from 12 positions) earlier in the week, but completely forgot.

1660320837540.png

Less recoil makes life easy for sure, I'm not arguing that. And recoil management is a perishable skill. I haven't been practicing with my 7mag in awhile, which is a primary reason of why I currently suck. I'll start back up in a week or two, and I'll be spun back up by rifle opener. My only point is that folks CAN manage recoil and spot shots with boomers if they practice.

Nice groups. U got a brake on the 7 mag?
No.

T28w

Well Known Rokslider
My only point is that folks CAN manage recoil and spot shots with boomers if they practice.
I don’t think anyone ever disputes this fact. You obviously shoot often and can do it very well. My thing is take everyone who has a hunting style rifle, let’s just say in the 8ish lbs range, in a high recoil cartridge, what percentage could lay $1,000 on the table and put 10 shot on a 2” target. My bet is very very few. Maybe 10% ....maybe. I feel this is sndmn feeling as well

TK-421

Well Known Rokslider
I don’t think anyone ever disputes this fact. You obviously shoot often and can do it very well. My thing is take everyone who has a hunting style rifle, let’s just say in the 8ish lbs range, in a high recoil cartridge, what percentage could lay $1,000 on the table and put 10 shot on a 2” target. My bet is very very few. Maybe 10% ....maybe. I feel this is sndmn feeling as well
I know this is the internet, but don't take this the wrong way, and I think we are pretty close on the same page.

If you took anyone that has a basketball in their garage and asked them to make a 'cold' 3-point shot, how many could? I know I wouldn't be surprised to air ball 10 out of 10 times, because I have no interest in it & don't practice it ever. If I was actively interested, joined basketball forums, read about & watched basketball all the time, the answer would be for me to practice more, get a coach, work on fundamentals, etc. I would set a goal, establish a baseline, and work towards getting better.

In the context of this discussion, the OP is actively looking for ways to improve with the gear that he has. It's doable if he wants to put in the work (like he's suggested that he wants to).

OP
J

jkdrgn

I would set a goal, establish a baseline, and work towards getting better.

In the context of this discussion, the OP is actively looking for ways to improve with the gear that he has. It's doable if he wants to put in the work (like he's suggested that he wants to).

TK, yes, that's what I'm after, and thank you for your help.

I don't expect to shoot this rifle as well as my smaller rifles. But I need to get consistency tuned up a notch or two, compared to where I'm currently at with it.

I started to suspect the inconsistency was in me, even though I thought I was making solid shots, and not something mechanical with the rifle or loads. It's not always easy to tell.

I'll be focusing on recoil management, and see how it goes. Thanks all.

sndmn11

Well Known Rokslider
TK, yes, that's what I'm after, and thank you for your help.

I don't expect to shoot this rifle as well as my smaller rifles. But I need to get consistency tuned up a notch or two, compared to where I'm currently at with it.

I started to suspect the inconsistency was in me, even though I thought I was making solid shots, and not something mechanical with the rifle or loads. It's not always easy to tell.

I'll be focusing on recoil management, and see how it goes. Thanks all.
My point was that there is no reason to not have a lot of confidence going into the season with sub 2" 8 shot groups.

BeastOfTheTrees

Well Known Rokslider
I
My best suggestion, and my regular gun is a 300 Weatherby Magnum, is limit the number of shots you shoot with the heavy magnum. It’s hard to get rid of a flinch. So, it’s better not to get it going.

Assuming you can still reach the trigger, there are a lot of good slipon recoil pads. Brakes are fine, but increase the noise and with a 300 Weatherby that’s pretty loud without a brake.
It barks for sure. Precision Armamament brake, it hardly kicks now.

Honyock

Well Known Rokslider
Start with a limbsaver pad they definitely help. I run a limbsaver pad on a lightweight 300 wsm and it makes the recoil manageable. Also adding a Silencerco Harvester which will drop recoil as well.