Tenacious Tape....

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never tried the tenacious tape, but I have patched a bunch of stuff with Kenyon repair tape: http://www.campmor.com/kenyon-black-nylon-repair-tape.shtml

Tents, tarps, raingear, and both down and synthetic puffy coats and pants have all been successfully repaired with that stuff. For items I need to be waterproof (tents or raingear) I typically patch the hole with a bit of AquaSeal and then cover with a piece of the k tape. It will resist rolling up at the edges if you round your corners or cut the tape into a circle or oval. I bet if I look I have some photos of my repair jobs...I get a lot of practice, what can I say, we can be tough on gear :)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here ya go:

Bivy that Luke burned some holes in, all patched up:

Patched a snag in some puffy pants

Patched over a small hole in these rain pants, aqua sealed them first...

Last edited:
I am going to have to pick up some of this tape, I have a number of ember holes in my FL puffy that need fixed before they get out of hand. This tape will be the ticket.

I used some of the Gear-Aid Tenacious Tape on my breathable waders once, didn't last.
Fine for temporary repairs, but Aqua-Seal is my goto for waterproof gear.

On small holes, a little dab over the hole is all that's usually required. On larger holes I cut a patch and use the Aqua-Seal as the glue. It is also excellent for painting a wear layer over seams that are leaking, or in danger of leaking. particularly inside thigh seams. I also use it for repairing cracks on my leather hiking boots. My boots usually start cracking at the sole junction. If I clean & repair the cracks, I can get a season or two more out of them.
Hunt'nFish

parshal

WKR
I used sail tape to patch ember holes and tears in a large pyramid tent. If it can repair a sail it can hold a tent together and it's very light.

I've used the gore text patch kit for all my goretex items including the stormfront and it's done well.

I also put a little bit of tent seam sealer around the edge up the patch so it doesn't begin to peel up overtime from use and washes.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey so MtnC you recommend the goretex patch over the tape? All I could find was black goretex I was thinking the clear cause well it was clear. =-)

Hey so MtnC you recommend the goretex patch over the tape? All I could find was black goretex I was thinking the clear cause well it was clear. =-)

Nooo, id say only use the Goretex patch not tenacious tape. Im sure the tenacious tape would work but i prefer goretex patches on my goretex gear just because I'm weird like that. If i remember correctly the patch is applied to the inside of the jacket not the outside... So color shouldn't be too much of an issue. Clear would be nice but I've only seen black.

If you want to get it done the right way send it off to rainy pass repair or whatever its called, but my patch has been good for 2 years now so that should suffice.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Tenacious Tape for quite some time on lots of gear from jackets/pants to tents/fly's and temporary patches on packs. Some of those fixes have been in place and still going for 2-3 or more years. My pack always has a roll in it.

Wrongside

WKR
One of my old OR shells still has a 3+ year old Tenacious Tape patch over a rip. No signs of letting go, even after many wash/dry cycles. Used the stuff to patch all manner of gear, for everything from tears in clothing to burn holes in sleeping bags. Works great and I'll always keep some around.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Just picked up some Tenacious tape and K-Tape. Last year I found a mouse in the Montana high country that enjoyed chewing on everything all night long.
His favorite seemed to be the hood of my Kuiu Yukon. Right on the top. Hole is the size of a quarter.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Well I used it on the stormfront coat now. it seems to be solid Ive worked the fabric in the area where the Burns are and I cannot get the edges to come up at all on that tape. I finished it off with a thin coat of Sealer over the patches. So we shall see how long that lasts. I did both inside and outside just for durability sakes.