Tent Advice

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Greetings all. I'm looking for advice on a tent. I'm looking for either a 1 man or 2 man tent that I can fit in a backpack for fall hunts. I guess the main thing I'm a bit confused about is a 3 season tent vs a 4 season tent and which is appropriate. The majority of my hunting with this tent will be done in California within the Sierra Nevada Mountains, so 8000-11000 feet in elevation in the months of June through November (including scouting and possible bear hunting). I know everyone thinks CA is all beaches and sunshine, but this mountain range is where the Donner party got stuck in the snow :). Let me know your thoughts.

OldGrayJB

WKR
4 season tents are sturdier to support the weight of snow. The poles are slightly heavier. The rain fly typically goes all the way to the ground, and the tents usually have less mesh. The poor breathability of a 4 season tent, and the extra weight are the reasons I prefer a 3 season. If I know I won't get more than a couple inches of snow, I'll be in a 3 season.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
4 season tents are sturdier to support the weight of snow. The poles are slightly heavier. The rain fly typically goes all the way to the ground, and the tents usually have less mesh. The poor breathability of a 4 season tent, and the extra weight are the reasons I prefer a 3 season. If I know I won't get more than a couple inches of snow, I'll be in a 3 season.
So, 4 season tents tend to have condensation?

OldGrayJB

WKR
So, 4 season tents tend to have condensation?
They'll all have some condensation in cold weather, but that doesn't bother me. I wouldn't like a 4 season tent in July or Aug because they get hot with very little air flow.
Check out the Big Agnes Copper Spur. I've got the 2 man. It's light and packable. It's perfect for me and my gear. Or me and the wife.

Vandy321

WKR
I have a hille soulo...a true 4 season. you can remove the entire inner tent and leavebit at home an have a free standing floorless shelter for the warmer months...or replace the inner with their bug mesh if floorless isn't your thing.

Had previously had 2 floorless tarps, but I like the versatility of the soulo.

AKDoc

WKR
This^^^^^^^answers very well the OP primary question regarding major differences between 3 or 4-season tents. I'll simply add that tent breathability (and thus condensation) varies considerably between different manufactures as well as different tent designs by the same manufacturer. Some designs vent very poorly, while other designs are in a league all of their own...even 4-season tents.

It does sound like a 3-season might be better matched to your described needs. If so, be attentive to ensure that the tent fly drops down significantly lower than the top of the floor tub. That way you will be better protected (hopefully) if you get side-ways blowing rain and/or spin-drifted snow...if those are a concern where you will be.

As a side-note, I personally prefer the 2-man tent option over the single. It gives me greater versatility/use for my tents, and I really like the extra space when running solo...especially if tent-bound due to wx. The weight differential is not that huge.

Last point, budget...but that's a different conversation.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
This^^^^^^^answers very well the OP primary question regarding major differences between 3 or 4-season tents. I'll simply add that tent breathability (and thus condensation) varies considerably between different manufactures as well as different tent designs by the same manufacturer. Some designs vent very poorly, while other designs are in a league all of their own...even 4-season tents.

It does sound like a 3-season might be better matched to your described needs. If so, be attentive to ensure that the tent fly drops down significantly lower than the top of the floor tub. That way you will be better protected (hopefully) if you get side-ways blowing rain and/or spin-drifted snow...if those are a concern where you will be.

As a side-note, I personally prefer the 2-man tent option over the single. It gives me greater versatility/use for my tents, and I really like the extra space when running solo...especially if tent-bound due to wx. The weight differential is not that huge.

Last point, budget...but that's a different conversation.
Thank you. I appreciate the info.

I would go with a 3 season and should snow conditions become a factor you can pack snow around the tent base all the way around to stop the wind from penetrating under the fly and swirling snow into the tent. if you have walking sticks you can used them to help support the structure for snow load. I'm in norther bc , if Packing in with my horses i would then consider my 4 season or wall tent. Backpacking i use a 3 season tent.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I would’ve never thought to pack snow around the base.

Reactions: JCY

Marble

WKR
I've always used a 3 season. I've been in real cold and snow, along with rain and wind, but nothing really extreme. I've always been just fine. I think if I were to be extended in the cold back country with weather coming in, I may reconsider and get a 4 season.

My rule for backcountry tents is a buy one size bigger than I plan on using. I can keep my gear in there if weather comes in and I have room to move around.

I have one of the big Agnes tents. I think it's a Tiger wall UL3? Two full grown men can sleep in it and if we had to, we could bring in our packs. When I'm solo I can keep my bow, pack and my organizer bags all laid out.

I think when I put it on my little scale is was less than 3 pounds with the footprint.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Tyler C

FNG
Nice Donner reference lol. They always come to mind whenever weather rolls in and I’m standing at 10,000 feet in the high Sierras. Last year I ran the kifaru super tarp for all of my high Sierra hunts and was very cozy in weather down to the high teens.

Vandy321

WKR
Nice Donner reference lol. They always come to mind whenever weather rolls in and I’m standing at 10,000 feet in the high Sierras. Last year I ran the kifaru super tarp for all of my high Sierra hunts and was very cozy in weather down to the high teens.
I was caught in a Nov snowstorm in CO in my supertarp. Never again. The snowloading capability is about zero. Had there been strong winds to accompany the snow, i'd have feared for my safety in a down bag. Not confidence inspiring. Fine for Sept, but never again in Nov, at least for me.

OP
kevin11mee

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I just purchased a North Face 2p tent. A tad heavy (5 Lbs) but hopefully decent against cold and snow.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I live in SoCal and do the majority of my trips on the eastern side of the Sierra. I use a tarp and bivy for the most part from June to October and switch to a Durston X-Mid 1P for early spring and mid-late fall or when weather looks to be more inclement.
There are some tents like the Big Sky Revolution that you can purchase with both a breathable fabric inner (better to stop wind and spindrift) and traditional mesh inner and is a very well thought out design and provides a taut pitch.
A mid type structure like the MLD Duomid sheds snow reasonably well, is good in windy conditions, and is versatile as you can use it stand alone or with an inner or a bivy. If I could have only one shelter this setup/combination would be hard to beat.
Personally for the June to November time frame in the Sierra I’d stay with a three season shelter.

Last edited:

LionHead

WKR
We are definitely not all beaches and sunshine in Kommifornia. Been hunting the Sierra's the last 5 years between 8k-11k.

Ive been snowed on in the teens during the rifle opener (below) in the same spot I hunted in 80 degree weather the year prior . It really just depends.

We crossed a 10500 pass (below) that was still covered in a foot of snow last year.

I really like seek outside offerings but have used kifaru tarps as well.

The Cimmaron worked well for two mobile hunters. If the weather warrants a stove I like the redcliff for more "living space" and it's still very packable. If there's bugs I have a nest bit haven't needed it yet.

These would be considered 3/4 seasons tipis. 4 season with stove, 3 without.
58f1ee8ccd77c17a3eae31cb983155ab.jpg
821de801bfd70b2ddb330aefa0edb4ef.jpg
09f1ea71168ade8a4698d8d52a1d438e.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

I've been using the same tent for over 25 years...a four season tent that has proven
reliable in many strong windstorms and some heavy snow.
I originally choose it because a mountaineering friend had a camp for 90 days of research
with 3 different brands of tents in the 1990s and this model was the only one that survived the wind.
The model was discontinued many years ago.
I did have to replace the zipper sliders after 25 years.
sheepcamp (2).jpg caribou_camp.jpg tent.jpg

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
We are definitely not all beaches and sunshine in Kommifornia. Been hunting the Sierra's the last 5 years between 8k-11k.

Ive been snowed on in the teens during the rifle opener (below) in the same spot I hunted in 80 degree weather the year prior . It really just depends.

We crossed a 10500 pass (below) that was still covered in a foot of snow last year.

I really like seek outside offerings but have used kifaru tarps as well.

The Cimmaron worked well for two mobile hunters. If the weather warrants a stove I like the redcliff for more "living space" and it's still very packable. If there's bugs I have a nest bit haven't needed it yet.

These would be considered 3/4 seasons tipis. 4 season with stove, 3 without.
58f1ee8ccd77c17a3eae31cb983155ab.jpg
821de801bfd70b2ddb330aefa0edb4ef.jpg
09f1ea71168ade8a4698d8d52a1d438e.jpg

Have you ever used the Kifaru sawtooth? I am curious how it compares to the seek outside redcliff. I feel like they’re comparable in size as far as what I read and see online. I am considering a sawtooth as a multipurpose shelter

LionHead

WKR
Have you ever used the Kifaru sawtooth? shelter

I have not and I've never seen one in person. From my understanding the Redcliff is quite a bit larger than the sawtooth.

Redcliff has Plenty of space for 4 and gear, I regularly use it for 3+ gear and stove without complaint. I don't think the same can be said for the sawtooth

They also differ in how you access the space. The sawtooth is a front entry arrowhead shape. The redcliff has a more rectangular footprint with dual side entrances

Hope that helps