Tent for Wrangells in August

schmalzy

WKR
About to seal the deal on an August of 2022 Wrangell hunt and want to bring my own tent. Outfitter recommending Kuiu mountain star. Considering that or a Hille Niak if I can find one. Anybody use both and lean one way over the other? Any other offerings I should really be considering? Not claustrophobic but wouldn’t mind some room for what I’ve been told are a fair amount of weather days. Obviously weight a major consideration but not the only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been in the wrangells in August and used a hilleberg akto. I’ve had some condensation in it but I think just about any tent will get at least some at some point in the wrangells. Other than that no issues whatsoever with the akto. Not a lot of room in it but I like the weight savings. Also it’s never been an issue for me to only have a 1 man tent, but may be something to think about. Hillebergs are expensive for a reason, they are top of the line tents. I haven’t used the kuiu tents, but the next tent I get is going to be a kuiu. I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand. A 2 man may be nice to have so you have a little room to spread out, and may be nice for laying gear out to dry.

I know this isn’t the topic you asked about, but I would suggest a synthetic bag too. Just my preference for how wet it can be. I sleep a little on the cold side and have used a 20* before up there and am looking at a 0* for the future.

Who you hunting going with?

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve been in the wrangells in August and used a hilleberg akto. I’ve had some condensation in it but I think just about any tent will get at least some at some point in the wrangells. Other than that no issues whatsoever with the akto. Not a lot of room in it but I like the weight savings. Also it’s never been an issue for me to only have a 1 man tent, but may be something to think about. Hillebergs are expensive for a reason, they are top of the line tents. I haven’t used the kuiu tents, but the next tent I get is going to be a kuiu. I don’t think you can go wrong with either brand. A 2 man may be nice to have so you have a little room to spread out, and may be nice for laying gear out to dry.

I know this isn’t the topic you asked about, but I would suggest a synthetic bag too. Just my preference for how wet it can be. I sleep a little on the cold side and have used a 20* before up there and am looking at a 0* for the future.

Who you hunting going with?

Thanks for the feedback.

Still on the fence bagwise. I have an Outdoor Vitals Atlas’s Hybrid 15. Was planning on using it but have never really taken it down to cooler temps. Used to have a WM Apache and liked the down. What synthetic bag did you go with?

I have a kifaru slick bag. I really like it, just need a 0*. I’ve actually been looking at the outdoor vitals myself and have heard really good things. Planning to get a 0* bag from them.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

An episode I did on the gear I took for my Dall hunt. I took the Niak and Slick as talked about in this thread. Might be good info, I was pretty damn dialed other than water filter.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR

An episode I did on the gear I took for my Dall hunt. I took the Niak and Slick as talked about in this thread. Might be good info, I was pretty damn dialed other than water filter.

It’s next on my list. I listened to the podcast you did with Nick which was really solid.

Thanks for pointing this one out.

I've concluded the Niak is the perfect early season sheep tent, at least for my uses. It has been great the last two sheep seasons.

I have also used the slick bag the last two seasons with no complaints.

Here's the Niak in some August sheep season weather...
dI97tRO.jpg

B7Bbzn0.jpg

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I've concluded the Niak is the perfect early season sheep tent, at least for my uses. It has been great the last two sheep seasons.

I have also used the slick bag the last two seasons with no complaints.

Here's the Niak in some August sheep season weather...
dI97tRO.jpg

B7Bbzn0.jpg

Awesome pictures. 0 or 20 on the slick?

chasewild

WKR
I love my WM apache. Best 2lb bag on the market. I'll be using that in the chugach/wrangle/talkeetnas next year.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
I love my WM apache. Best 2lb bag on the market. I'll be using that in the chugach/wrangle/talkeetnas next year.

I had one, and it was a nice bag, just a little too slim cut for me. Kind of regret selling it but I’d always be second guessing if there was a better option. Tempted to try a badger.

chasewild

WKR
I had one, and it was a nice bag, just a little too slim cut for me. Kind of regret selling it but I’d always be second guessing if there was a better option. Tempted to try a badger.

My buddy has the badger and is much roomier.

I used a Niak in the Wrangells this past August. Worked great, held up to the nasty weather. A bit of condensation to deal with at times. I've been a down sleeping bag person my entire life but that trip helped me see the value in sythetic

Russp17

WKR
I used the Kuiu mountain star this year sheep hunting in the Wrangells. Seemed like a good tent. We didn't have much wind so I didn't really put it through it's paces...

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Mountain star has a significant price savings, but that being said not afraid to spend the cash if it’s the way to go.

Wingert

FNG
We used KUIU Mountain Star tents this past year in the Wrangells. We had significant wind for nearly 7 days straight, combined with heavy wet snow, slush and rain. The tents held up to the elements without any issue.

Free standing tent that was easy to setup / take down. Rocks on the tent stakes were needed to hold them down with the high wind. No condensation inside the tent and it was very comfortable for one person. I wouldn't want to try cramming two guys in it.

Full disclosure, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Mountain Star but I haven't tried the Niak for comparison.

KU_Geo

WKR
I was in the south wrangells this September 10-20 with a Kuiu mountain star. Some wind, rain, snow. Tent worked fine, but I would probably go with the storm star if I was expecting lots of snow. We got several inches wet heavy snow, and with all the mesh on the Mtn star, you often got wet if you brushed against the mesh&fly from the inside. Nothing major, but would go stormstar next time