Tent liner. Worth it?

Thinking about picking up a Kifaru Sawtooth but undecided about getting the liner or not. Is it worth it while running a stove. Does it give it more flexibility in temperature ranges?

I really like the liners in floorless shelters with stoves. They trap a layer of dead air that insulates, and keep condensation off of you and your gear. They add a touch of weight, and reduce the inside roominess a touch, but my stove shelters have liners except for the super tarp

To me they are definitely worth it. They do trap a layer of dead air and make the shelter a tiny bit warmer. But the biggest thing for me was condensation management. The liners help a lot with the frozen condensation melting all over, or brushing up against the wet silnylon.

That being said I live in the humid north east and like to camp in the winter, so YMMV. In a dryer climate they may not be worth the weight penalty.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
a tipi without a liner is like a foot with no sock. Man get the liner even if you decide on a single trip to remove it temporarily, it's the soggy humid trips where it'll pay for itself.

Imagine a sweaty, condensated tent fabric in a gust of wind or a tap on the sidewall....sweat sprinkle rain inside the tent and all over yo comfy stuff.

I agree with the guys above. I’ve had my Kifaru for 14 seasons.
Did the first season without a liner.
In my opinion, the liner is absolutely necessary. Slushy snow, rain, wind, condensation in below zero temps… it’s an absolute must to keep dry.

If someone says it’s not worth the weight, ask what their percent body fat is. I’ll pack the liner and trim somewhere else.

bj00pb

FNG
The liner in my Kifaru 4 man was a game changer. I've had the tipi forever, but just couldn't deal with the condensation, so I left the tent home. Finally got a liner a few years ago and won't camp without it. I'm sure while camping in some places, seasons, climate, etc a liner may not be much help. For me, hunting Colorado 1st or 2nd season.... the liner is a must.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I have camped dozens of times in the most wet, soggy, cold conditions possible without a liner in my Cimarron. The stove takes care of moisture and my WM sleeping bag sheds moisture well. For me its just not worth the weight and hassle.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Absolutely.

I’ve had my Sawtooth for 3 seasons and have only used in E. Oregon until last November took it w/stove to SW Oregon.

Had 3 rain/slush, when the wind would gust, trees would release water and pound exterior of the tent and condensation would fall on your face, like someone was spraying you with a water bottle!! Great sleep conditions! Lol

Needless to say, I’ve since added a
Liner to my Sawtooth tipi/stove setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I like mine in my Redcliff. Very helpful in condensation management. Sure, a stove dries everything out, but no one keeps a stove stoked all night long. As carrot farmer said, the wind gusts can make you wish you had one