Tent Question: Hilleberg Anjan or Stone Glacier Skyscraper

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting ready to do an Alaska dall hunt next August and think I have my tent selection down to the Anjan (2 or 3) or Skyscraper. Between these, I'm curious if any of you guys have used them (preferably used both) and if you have a preference of one over the other. My brother and I will be sharing the tent and I will likely use it solo on later season hunts when I don't want to pack my tipi and stove. Two of my top priorities are being able to withstand high winds if we're stuck camping up on a ridge or saddle, and a small footprint to make finding a flat spot a little easier. I've only used tarps and tipis for the last 7-8 years but am pretty set on wanting a floored shelter for this hunt. I'd love to hear any thoughts you all have on these tents.

I took an Anjan 3GT on my stone sheep hunt this year. The huge vestibule was awesome for keeping gear, but I had issues keeping stakes in the ground and keeping the proper tent shape due to all the rocks in the ground. From now on I will be taking a free standing tent.

Also, compared to my old Kuiu Mountain Star and Storm Star tents, the rain was disproportionally loud on the Anjan. Even when it was raining lightly, it sounded like it was pouring cats and dogs. Then when it really was raining hard, it was deafening and impossible to sleep.

From what I can tell the Skysraper is alot like the Mtn star, so between your two choices I would definitely vote for the Skyscraper, but based on your stated use, I would recommend the Storm Star. I imagine that Skyscraper is going to be really tight with 2 dudes.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have used both tents. I would take the Skyscraper, which I have used with a partner and found it extremely roomy (it actually gets wider towards the top on the interior, and is very long). Have you considered their 1P+ solus? For 1P, that will be a tad lighter/simpler/skinnier and still get you covered gear storage out of the doorway.

The anjan is nice - but for the weight, you can get a more robust all-season design from the SG tent. Internal and external guy lines, beefy poles, trek pole outriggers, etc. Downside is it is actually sized for two guys, so the footprint is larger. The anjan is skinnier as it is a tunnel design.

The anjan is a kick ass tent, but for two, it is a more of a struggle. For a solo tent it is great, a tad heavy. The design has a sloping rear wall at the footbox which is a little tough if humid. Having gear at the vestivule door is tough, especailly if you've got 2 people.

OP
kylem

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I have used both tents. I would take the Skyscraper, which I have used with a partner and found it extremely roomy (it actually gets wider towards the top on the interior, and is very long). Have you considered their 1P+ solus? For 1P, that will be a tad lighter/simpler/skinnier and still get you covered gear storage out of the doorway.

The anjan is nice - but for the weight, you can get a more robust all-season design from the SG tent. Internal and external guy lines, beefy poles, trek pole outriggers, etc. Downside is it is actually sized for two guys, so the footprint is larger. The anjan is skinnier as it is a tunnel design.

The anjan is a kick ass tent, but for two, it is a more of a struggle. For a solo tent it is great, a tad heavy. The design has a sloping rear wall at the footbox which is a little tough if humid. Having gear at the vestivule door is tough, especailly if you've got 2 people.
Thanks for this. I'm looking at this tent primarily for 2 guys so the solus is out. I was also a little worried about the smaller vestibule on the anjan for two guys, and I don't want to extra long gt version so I think the skyscraper makes more sense from that regard as well.

jpengel

FNG
I have used both on September sheep hunts in Alaska. Long story short, I prefer the SG Skyscraper for 2 people. Details below, and kind of a repeat of what others have said.

Hilleberg Anjan

I used an Anjan 3 for two people. If I recall it is 3 oz heavier than the anjan 2 but has more headroom and width, which is nice if you have a weather day or you end up with a gear bomb. It’s a Hilleberg, a nice capable tent for the weight. It withstood strong winds even after some of the guy line stakes got ripped out.

Pros:

weight for 2P (4lb 3oz)

Hilleberg durability

high denier and WP tent floor no need for footprint

ability to pitch a true fly first and keep your inner tent as dry as possible in rain

Cons:

vestibule size and location - This is manageable but definitely not ideal. The vestibule is in front of the one entrance to the tent, so getting in out can disturb your partner, also not a lot of room in the vestibule to leave gear laid out with 2 people to exit tent. GT model would help with this but would make footprint longer, see below, and add weight.

Dimensions/pitch style – these are related. It’s a tension style tent and pretty hot dog shaped (63” x 127”). So you need a long flattish area to pitch and pull it tight. If the tent isn’t taught its not going to be able to withstand as much weather. Being hot dog, there is an optimal wind orientation - that being said we have pitched it the worst way possible and it held up in high winds.

No apex vent – being a hilleberg yellow label that is no apex vent and it relies on air circulation from under the fly. This would most likely be fine in august, but my last 2 hunts have been in September with way more humidity and experienced a lot of condensation build up in the tent. Bring a sponge (but you should do that for any tent)

SG Skyscraper

After the above experience, hunting partner and I wanted to go with a 2 door 2 vestibule tent (your gear on your side my gear on my side, each have our own door). Considered Hilleberg Allak 2 (7 lb 4 oz, $1165) and Rogen (4lb 10 oz, but more expensive) but took the chance on the SG after a friends review.

Pros:

Cost (relative to Rogen, $645 vs $1055)

Slightly taller than Rogen, 41.5” vs 39”, this is noticeable. Also the web truss system really pulls the head space out so there is plenty of room for two people shoulder to shoulder on a weather day.

2 door 2 vestibule is a really nice creature comfort, bigger vest than Rogen (11ft2 vs 8.6ft2)

Surprisingly bombproof in the wind. Pitched it was pretty stout but when we put our poles under the short webtruss arms and tensioned it this thing was rigid on all sides. Was really impressed. And it withstood 60+ mph winds even after we tore the rain fly zipper (operator error) earlier in the hunt. Tent is very symmetrical, hamburger shaped, so resistant to wind in any orientation, but mind the doors

Lots of pockets and strings for drying gear

Apex vents for minimizing condensation, but still bring a sponge

There is a ton of optionality with this tent, fly only, inner only, etc for other hunts or keeping weight down for a roomy 1P

Cons:

Inner tent floor is only 20D, we never had an issue but used 3mm plastic ground sheet

Not a true fly first pitch, as inner and outer need to be connected for pitch to get shape of tent poles. You can keep the inner protected and separate for part of assembly/disassembly but it’s a little bit of a hassle feeding tent poles through the wet webtruss. Hillberg wins here.

Footprint is nearly as long as anjan, 92” x 118”, shorter but wider. still need to find right pitch location

Fly and floor WP rating is less than Hilleberg, but we had no issues in rain or snow

7oz heavier than Rogen, 14 oz heavier than anjan 3. Skyscraper is 5lb 1 oz.

Fun fact about the skyscraper, it is designed by SlingFin tents, very similar to Sling Fin Crossbow.

OP
kylem

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for this detailed breakdown! The SG not being able to pitch fly first is definitely a downside, but I figured I'd be able to work around this. I know there are workarounds to pitch fly first, but it just isn't as easy as the Hillebergs. Another con you brought up is the 20D floor which is a worry to me. I was thinking their footprint would be a good idea if I get it, but I like your idea of 3mm plastic even better since it's cheaper and lighter.

ColeyG

WKR
I've used the Anjan 2 GT on sheep hunts for 6-7 years now and have been really happy with it.

There is no such thing as a "perfect" tent for any given application, and what is "best" usually comes down to personal preference.

jpengel's summary above is pretty spot on.

The Anjan 2 footprint is certainly not roomy. It is cut for 2 people with minimal (no) gear inside. As has been pointed out, the toe of the tent is low and tight. With big bags and big feet, you can rub the walls pretty easily which can lead to wetting out the bottom of your bag when/if the fly touches the body of the tent. With a nice tight guy line job, this isn't much of a problem.

The large vesti (GT) is key and makes extended bad weather stints so much more bearable. Having the extra space to store gear and stretch out outside of your fart sack is very nice. I have 4 Hillebergs and have gone for the GT in each case and wouldn't consider any mountain hunting tent without that feature.

Another nice feature with most of the tube style Hillebergs is that they can be pitched without the body should you find yourself wanting to go ultralight in moderate conditions.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Both great tents with different pros and cons, one of which will probably suit your personal preferences better than the other.

OP
kylem

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Anjan 2 GT on sheep hunts for 6-7 years now and have been really happy with it.

There is no such thing as a "perfect" tent for any given application, and what is "best" usually comes down to personal preference.

jpengel's summary above is pretty spot on.

The Anjan 2 footprint is certainly not roomy. It is cut for 2 people with minimal (no) gear inside. As has been pointed out, the toe of the tent is low and tight. With big bags and big feet, you can rub the walls pretty easily which can lead to wetting out the bottom of your bag when/if the fly touches the body of the tent. With a nice tight guy line job, this isn't much of a problem.

The large vesti (GT) is key and makes extended bad weather stints so much more bearable. Having the extra space to store gear and stretch out outside of your fart sack is very nice. I have 4 Hillebergs and have gone for the GT in each case and wouldn't consider any mountain hunting tent without that feature.

Another nice feature with most of the tube style Hillebergs is that they can be pitched without the body should you find yourself wanting to go ultralight in moderate conditions.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Both great tents with different pros and cons, one of which will probably suit your personal preferences better than the other.
Would you suggest going with the SG or another tent if I wasn’t going with one of the GT models? I’m a little worried about how long the GT models are and being limited in campsites if we end up staying up high instead of in the bottoms.

The potential benefit of leaving the body and just using the shell is something I more likely than not would never use. At that point I’d just use my tipi or a tarp and save even more weight.

ColeyG

WKR
Would you suggest going with the SG or another tent if I wasn’t going with one of the GT models? I’m a little worried about how long the GT models are and being limited in campsites if we end up staying up high instead of in the bottoms.

The potential benefit of leaving the body and just using the shell is something I more likely than not would never use. At that point I’d just use my tipi or a tarp and save even more weight.

You only need the ground under the sleeping portion of the tent to be flat and level. I actually prefer if the ground under the BBEdit slopes down a bit. I’ve never had a problem finding adequate room in the mountains to pitch it. You can pitch the vesti over small bushes, rocks, etc if need be.

If going non GT, the SG may be the more functional choice overall.

Ten Bears

WKR
I have owned all 3 tents and have at least 10 nights in each.

The Anjan 3 would be roomier for two guys imo and it’s not really close.

The weight penalty is worth it.

I also think the condensation/venting in the Anjans in general is better. I also like the Anjan design better for shedding high winds. I immediately sold the the SG tent after a Wyoming trip with it, really was unimpressed with it overall.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I have a nallo 3, basically the same as the anjan. I'm looking to move towards a free standing tent this year for alpine hunting. Not a huge fan of the single entrance and the non free standing design in the alpine rocks.
For what it's worth, Hilleberg is coming out with a rogen 3 in 2024. That's what I'm waiting on. It's supposed to be 5.5 pounds; a little heavy but has all the attributes I'm looking for. Freestanding, 2 vestibules, and durability.

OP
kylem

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned all 3 tents and have at least 10 nights in each.

The Anjan 3 would be roomier for two guys imo and it’s not really close.

The weight penalty is worth it.

I also think the condensation/venting in the Anjans in general is better. I also like the Anjan design better for shedding high winds. I immediately sold the the SG tent after a Wyoming trip with it, really was unimpressed with it overall.
I've been thinking about the anjan 3, but my only hesitation is other than sheep hunting, I would be using it solo most of the time.

What didn't you like about the SG?

OP
kylem

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I have a nallo 3, basically the same as the anjan. I'm looking to move towards a free standing tent this year for alpine hunting. Not a huge fan of the single entrance and the non free standing design in the alpine rocks.
For what it's worth, Hilleberg is coming out with a rogen 3 in 2024. That's what I'm waiting on. It's supposed to be 5.5 pounds; a little heavy but has all the attributes I'm looking for. Freestanding, 2 vestibules, and durability.
I've looked at the rogen, but the price is just too much for me to stomach right now which is why I've been looking closer at the skyscraper. If money was out of the question, I'd have the rogen 2 on its way.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've been thinking about the anjan 3, but my only hesitation is other than sheep hunting, I would be using it solo most of the time.

I also have the same question - I am assuming was functionally a problem? Performance with condensation or wind or ? I'm really curious @Ten Bears .

As far as the "dry" fly first setup - the web truss is a bit tangly when you first start using it, and putting the tent together without external pole sleeves (ie fly over web truss and connected to body) take some gymnastics from the vestibule space. It is doable and practice would make you a lot better at it, but not the same ease as having external pole sleeves like a hilleberg tunnel. The reasoning for this, and not the easy "linked" inner/outer tent system hilleberg uses, is that a fly over the poles can shed snow easier (I have never personally found that to be a huge deal, and the SG tent is broad enough at the top it can collect snow), and in colder conditions with moisture, automatially separating the fly from inner is very important to isolate the wet tent fabic. Now - the inner for the crossbow/skyscraper tent can remain attached to the webtruss, with the fly over it, so functionally can act like the hilleberg. And the hilleberg inner can be separated from the outer. In practice, niether process is the utmost in simplicity. The SG prioritizes being able to stake a body and set a pole structure to make high wind setup much better, while the hillerberg pops it all up at once after staking. No matter which you pick, there's upsides and downsides, you just have to focused on what's most important to you personally and your typical use.

Ten Bears

WKR

I really couldn’t get the condensation under control in that SG, that was my biggest complaint. Definitely had some weather while using it but not enough to warrant what I experienced. It was pitched correctly also.

I also thought the weight of the SG for the performance didn’t match up, it’s actually heavier than the Anjan 3. Its vestibule felt small to me. Didn’t like the door either.

I personally don’t mind the front door entry on the Anjans. I sold my A3 when I bought the SG tent, regretted it ever since.

Being that I hunt solo I moved onto the Niak which checks every box except really being a 2P. I wish they made a Niak 3!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being that I hunt solo I moved onto the Niak which checks every box except really being a 2P. I wish they made a Niak 3!

I think a Niak "3", w/ dual vestibules would be the cat's a$$ for two people. You could split up the weight between two people and be pretty light.

I also hunt solo and the Niak is pretty darn close to perfection.

We've had great success with the skyscraper, especially with using the inner mesh and bath tub floor. I honestly don't think its talked about enough. With the mesh you have 360 degree access to gear in vestibules through the bungee system and its a lot lighter. Definitely worth a look.