tent under 3 lbs

tent under 3 lbs...anything besides tarptent?

Best solo or 2 person tent under 3 lbs? Anything out there besides tarptent?

Last edited:

Vandal 44

WKR
I really like the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, it weights a littler more than 3 LBS but not by much. I have spent about 15 night in it so far this year, I have had it in some wind and rain its held up perfectly. The Copper Spur has plenty of room for one person and gear.

I would think about 3 tents you mite like and do a search you will find a lot of good information.

flyingbrass

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Big Agnes Copper Spur 2, it weights a littler more than 3 LBS but not by much. I have spent about 15 night in it so far this year, I have had it in some wind and rain its held up perfectly. The Copper Spur has plenty of room for one person and gear.

I would think about 3 tents you mite like and do a search you will find a lot of good information.
How about a Golite Shangrila 3 without the inner nest! Then you can always use the nest and you are just over 4 pounds. Simple solution!
Edited to add. Or a Golite Imogene 3 maybe

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Zpacks is making some pretty cool and very light tents. I have been really happy with everything I have from them so far.

n2horns

WKR
lightheartgear.com, see the solong and solong 6. I have the TT Notch and for quick shelter or good weather camping its perfect, but it fits your body like a body bag. The solong 6 is my next buy for longer days/bad weather. My buddy has one and I do like more. He also has a TT rainbow and leaves that behind. the Lightheartgear also does custom orders.

Solitude

WKR
I have a Copper Spur 1 and a TT Notch.

The CS1 can be set up without the net and the stock ground sheet and weights in at 1lb 14oz. Add the liner (w/o ground cloth) and you are at 2lb 6 oz. I have weathered some pretty nasty storms and have nothing but good words about this tent.

The TT Notch is as advertised. It's my current goto tent if I am taking trekking poles on the trip and I want to run it w/o a net.

I am a major fan of side vestibules and both these tents fit the bill well.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I have s buddy with the Lightheart solong 6 and if I had to purchase again I'd get that.

I've only had big agnes and eureka tents and out of those, the copper spur line is great for a tent. The side entry is great for the rainy days.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
The fly creek is super light but I think this time I'm going to go with the copper spur even though it's slightly heavier just because I hate the front entry. BA also makes a tent called the Angel Springs which looks like a good solution as well but I've never seen one up close.

alukban

FNG
I just received a Seek Outside BT-2 last week that I won in a give-away. I seam-sealed it this weekend and set it up but I have not used it yet.

I'm normally a hammock guy but this thing is serious. It is friggin' impressive. It has a sod skirt, two entrances, 9' base diameter and is about 64" at the apex. With the carbon fiber pole and 12 Ti stakes, it is under 2 lbs. The stove jack adds about 0.4 lbs.

It looks like it will fit two low cots comfortably.

7B331E41-8ACA-4F09-89CD-57605D0A857D_zpsshvsg0as.jpg

17596C56-0FC7-43C0-ACFD-F8A02DB4087D_zpsm1msrzri.jpg

DF0C565E-7C7C-4CD0-B36B-CAF5C238BD48_zpsvg0kfcgl.jpg

Last edited:
Frankly I would stick with Tarptent just because Henry is so customer care oriented. They are a great company with a terrific product line.

Beendare

WKR
I highly recommend you compare the BA stuff in person to the quality tent co's before you buy.......unless you are looking for cheap cheap.

...........and don't count on their customer service if you have a problem- been there done that! Full disclosure, CS finally did come through.....7 months later.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if it's "the best" thing out there. But I like my Easton kilo 2p. Light and I just spent a few nights in 30mph winds without a problem.

jm1607

WKR
I'm in the same boat...

After camping for 8 days in a Tarptent with my buddy a couple weeks ago I realized I would rather pack in a little bit more weight and have a little bit roomier shelter.. Nothing wrong with tarptent, just kinda small and not very high.. I'm debating between the GL SL3 and BA Copper Spur 3 UL.. Both have their Pros and Cons but I would rather have the extra 1# of weight from now on.. And I'm an OCD ultralighter too!

With that being said, the TT Cloudburst 3 looks doable for my needs, but I wish the floor space was a little bit wider...