Testing: SITKA 2021 Dew Point rain gear

The fact of the matter here is that IT IS RAIN GEAR! It is not a soft shell, it is not made for a ton of active wear. If it was, it wouldn’t work as rain gear. There’s no perfect piece of rain gear that will double as a softshell, breath and keep you dry. That piece does not yet exist.

This set is made to be packable. If you want something super durable, you have to go heavier. The old Dewpoint is a mountain hunters dream set. I anticipate the new stuff will even be better. Mine showed up today.
I’m curious of the difference. I have the old set Still going strong

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m curious of the difference. I have the old set Still going strong
I have a set of the original Dew Point as well and they are still as waterproof now as they were on day one. I'll share some differences between the two when I get the review written.

dapesche

WKR
How would this new dewpoint compare to the FL stormlight? Pretty comparable pricepoint
I just got the dewpoint kit and I had the stormlight previously but only for a short time due to fit. Dewpoint fabric feels like it'll take. The stormlight felt really light duty. Not as light duty as the OR Helium rain jacket but it was definitely a layer to toss on during a story but I would not want to walk through thick 2nd growth timber in that jacket. Dewpoint I would.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I had the stormfront leak on me while packing out an elk in BC. I replaced it with Arcteryx and just filed a warranty claim. They've stood behind it and gave me a credit for a new set.

Now I already have an alpha / beta set of arcteryx for when shes ugly, I'm curious on this new light set for when I'm in the alpine chasing sheep. If I can save a pound on rain gear that'd be fantastic. IF it works.
Alpha sv - 19 oz
Beta sv pants - 23 oz

I also had the stormlight pants fail me when I was in the northern rockies. No fun with one wet leg, one dry. I'll look forward to your review Josh,

lovelight

FNG
It has a slight crinkle to it and will make noise when rubbed against objects. Its not any louder than most quality rain gear. If it had a soft brushed face like the Thunderhead system it would weigh more and wouldn't compress as well as it does. There are always tradeoffs....
In what scenarios would you pick the Thunderhead over the Dewpoint and vice versa?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
In what scenarios would you pick the Thunderhead over the Dewpoint and vice versa?
The Thunderhead would be for situations where noise is absolutely crucial to success and/or you are not concerned with weight or packability of the rain gear. It would be a better choice if the only hunts you do are day hunts where returning to a cabin, camper, or wall tent to dry the exterior is an option. The softer face of the fabric wets out and will hold moisture.

lovelight

FNG
The Thunderhead would be for situations where noise is absolutely crucial to success and/or you are not concerned with weight or packability of the rain gear. It would be a better choice if the only hunts you do are day hunts where returning to a cabin, camper, or wall tent to dry the exterior is an option. The softer face of the fabric wets out and will hold moisture.
Makes sense. I'm going on a hunt this fall out of a wall tent and debating between the Thunderhead and Dewpoint. Already have the Thunderhead but will inevitably get the Dewpoint. I suppose I'll bring both and decide each day I go out of base camp.

cronsman

WKR
Just ordered mine, was debating between this and the cloudburst. Hopefully it works out!

dberg71

FNG
I got mine in for October Elk hunt. Liked the idea of it packing down. I tried it on a hog hunt when the skies opened up. Worked amazingly well. I like the fact that it was quiter then my cloud burst

Brendan

WKR
Anyone have a size advice for pants in the Dewpoint set? I usually wear a medium or a 32". I have a set of stormfront pants that are medium and fit great, but I'm not getting more than baselayers under those (Which is fine, bought them for conditions where I'm wearing them all day). Dewpoint I do want to be able to pull on as a layer.

Anyone have a size advice for pants in the Dewpoint set? I usually wear a medium or a 32". I have a set of stormfront pants that are medium and fit great, but I'm not getting more than baselayers under those (Which is fine, bought them for conditions where I'm wearing them all day). Dewpoint I do want to be able to pull on as a layer.

Stormfront, in my experience are, are cut larger than the Dewpoint. They are more of an expedition fit where you would layer with them, as opposed to wearing less with the Dewpoint. I’m a size 30 and wear Medium Dewpoint and Small Stormfront. You’d most likely be better off with Large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dberg71

FNG
I'm the same as you and my large dew point allows for me to layer underneath comfortably.

Carolina91

Lil-Rokslider
Received my set last week. Great rain gear and crazy light and convenient to stuff in the coat pocket.

I got the pants just before the shed opener here in CO. One morning it was raining and I put the pants on. In this area I'm constantly hiking over dead fall. I got the mediums which fit my chicken legs. I wear medium/32R in all of their pants. I had a pair of EB guide pants on. When I went to put my leg up and over the deadfall I had some restriction with the pant. I had to work a lot harder to get over the deadfall in them than regular pants. I'll probably sell them due to they way they fit me. Has hopping they would replace my original chugach pants. Anyone else experience something similar?