The 1 Thing You Learned- MULE DEER

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think most of us make a mistake over and over again. We go on a hunt, but don’t make the effort to think critically about 1 thing we learned and will do different next time.

Think about it, how often do magazines write about a hunt, but fail to single out an action item to change in the future? Just 1 thing, maybe something you learned about elk behavior, your rifle setup, clothing, camping system. We can consume all the information we want, but if we don’t change anything, did it really do us any good?

I’d like to start the series of discussions to get us in the habit of reviewing our hunt, and share highlights about the 1 thing we learned on a particular topic. To start, 1 thing I learned about my central Oregon mule deer came from Robby Denning’s book “Hunting Big Mule Deer”. The country was wide open wheat land with rolling hills, some scrub oak trees, and a brushy creek bottom. Most people spent their time perched up on top of the hill trying to see as much of the open ground as possible. I remembered reading that even in this open country, big bucks will hold tight to any cover if they think they can’t be seen.

With this information, I allocated the precious time right before shooting light ended to patrolling the bottom of a brushy creek. It was 75 yards away from a busy highway, and we had driven past it half a dozen times already that day. Visibility was not very far, but just as I was about to put my rifle away, I saw the white rump of a mule deer 30 feet away holding perfectly still, looking back at me. This old buck thought he was hidden and held like a rock. If I had just been driving around or trying to glass as much of the open country like I used too, I would never have been able to see into the brushy mess this deer was holed up in. Now I resist the urge to only go where it’s easy to see a bunch of ground and spend the best parts of the day focused on small patches of cover in an otherwise open landscape. 1 thing learned, then changed per hunt, and I’m a better hunter for it.

So how about you, what is one thing you have learned about mule deer? (include pictures if possible)

buck 2016.png

TheGDog

WKR
They like to travel along in gullies, when they can, presumably to keep out of the line of sight of other predators. So you can drag some big deadfall over and set it up in the gullie in order to force them to have to come up out of that gullie near your sit which overlooks it.

The scent of a dog on something will send them running like the devil himself was chasing them!

Deer are fascinated by the scent of beer poured onto the ground.

Brothers property that borders some public... he has a spot where we setup targets. I'd taken the boy when we has young and we put up leftover beer from a party for his targets for the .22. week after that season starts. I go there. While dressing, I look up and spot a Doe on the road above. Freeze... she moves along, I hurry up to suit up. She turns in his "driveway". Makes her way to the gullie and the area where the targets were. I sneak over to watch her, thinking good idea to watch her incase some buck spots her. She saunters over to the target area. Really intently sniffing that ground where the beer from the targets watered the ground! She then proceeds to walk around the end of a finger, to where I'd stashed a target holder that was this fence contraption I'd used to put my dog on side of the house during a party. Watched that doe go around that corner... where I knew that thing was... Man!... she came running back from there all kindsa fast! And it was like uh-oh....as she was running right towards me. So I froze. So we're face to face like maybe 10-15yds away from each other...I'm full leafy gear. She eventually catches my scent and stotts away off to the side.

Re: arrows - if you shoot arrows at them and they miss... if they choose to go away... they'll go not too terribly far away, then try to turn around and look and try figure out if they can detect or see what was shooting the arrows at them.

huntnful

WKR
Be diligent and persistent with glassing. Make small moves to new vatanges throughout the day. After the morning, start looking intentionally for bedded bucks and their features, not deer up and about (it's a different mindset). Also pay attention to the ground and tracks while you're changing vantanges or making a trip to fill up on water. I killed a buck this year because I saw his tracks all around a rock outcropping. Ended up glassing him up bedded at 4:00pm just a few yards away from there the following day.

Anytime you are going to make a move assume that there’s a bedded buck looking right in your direction. Don’t just walk across an open area or walk along the spine of a ridge where you will be skylined. Those bucks are doing the exact same thing as us.... sitting at a vantage point “glassing” for anything that moves. You might think you got away with it but you also might never realize what just slipped away without you even knowing it was there.

bigmoose

WKR
One of the things I've learned about mule deer is that mature bucks are not like young bucks. Many times I've seen groups of deer spooked out of their bedding areas. Most mature bucks will not follow the others. They will sneak out the bottom or over the top, always staying in the cover or they may just circle around and not leave the area at all. This is one of the reasons why they're so tough to get in their bedding areas.

maxp

FNG
Slow down and stalk in socks...I spent 7 years here in Alberta learning that and succeeded in getting my first archery mule deer this year...they can hear and see much better than we give them credit for...binoculars even at 40 yds will help you!!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They like to travel along in gullies, when they can, presumably to keep out of the line of sight of other predators. So you can drag some big deadfall over and set it up in the gullie in order to force them to have to come up out of that gullie near your sit which overlooks it.

The scent of a dog on something will send them running like the devil himself was chasing them!

Deer are fascinated by the scent of beer poured onto the ground.

Brothers property that borders some public... he has a spot where we setup targets. I'd taken the boy when we has young and we put up leftover beer from a party for his targets for the .22. week after that season starts. I go there. While dressing, I look up and spot a Doe on the road above. Freeze... she moves along, I hurry up to suit up. She turns in his "driveway". Makes her way to the gullie and the area where the targets were. I sneak over to watch her, thinking good idea to watch her incase some buck spots her. She saunters over to the target area. Really intently sniffing that ground where the beer from the targets watered the ground! She then proceeds to walk around the end of a finger, to where I'd stashed a target holder that was this fence contraption I'd used to put my dog on side of the house during a party. Watched that doe go around that corner... where I knew that thing was... Man!... she came running back from there all kindsa fast! And it was like uh-oh....as she was running right towards me. So I froze. So we're face to face like maybe 10-15yds away from each other...I'm full leafy gear. She eventually catches my scent and stotts away off to the side.

Re: arrows - if you shoot arrows at them and they miss... if they choose to go away... they'll go not too terribly far away, then try to turn around and look and try figure out if they can detect or see what was shooting the arrows at them.
Wow, I've never heard that tip about using brush to alter their travel routes. I am a person with limited physical mobility, so this could be really helpful in trying to funnel deer into my range were I can shoot. Thanks for the tip!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most will know this, but newcomers may not. If you blow one out, stay calm and get ready to shoot. Odds are better than even money, he's gonna stop a ways out and turn to look back. You'll typically get 5-15 seconds at him before he moves out.
Seems like with the advent of 4 wheelers and side by sides, I am seeing deer do this less and less. How about you guys, have you noticed a change in the classic mule deer stop and look back?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Be diligent and persistent with glassing. Make small moves to new vatanges throughout the day. After the morning, start looking intentionally for bedded bucks and their features, not deer up and about (it's a different mindset). Also pay attention to the ground and tracks while you're changing vantanges or making a trip to fill up on water. I killed a buck this year because I saw his tracks all around a rock outcropping. Ended up glassing him up bedded at 4:00pm just a few yards away from there the following day.

Nice work! It's fun to Work hard for a particular buck and have it come together curried I think it creates a deeper sense of satisfaction.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Be on the ‘x’ at dark. Either set up and ready to glass or packing up after glassing.
I'm guilty of sleeping in a little bit too much, and wasting time dinking around camp. Maybe your tip will be my New Year's resolution for hunting season this fall

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anytime you are going to make a move assume that there’s a bedded buck looking right in your direction. Don’t just walk across an open area or walk along the spine of a ridge where you will be skylined. Those bucks are doing the exact same thing as us.... sitting at a vantage point “glassing” for anything that moves. You might think you got away with it but you also might never realize what just slipped away without you even knowing it was there.
If you want to learn something, watch other hunters who walk through your area. If the country is open, often times you can see other deer watching those hunters who have no idea they are there. I've made the effort to take it a step farther then just watching, and note how it changes the deer's behavior. Then I try to estimate what the deer could be doing who might be looking at me right now and adjust my plans accordingly