The 1 Thing You Learned- Suppressors

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One thing I learned is don’t go thru SilencerShop. It’s been nothing but a headache for me. Been waiting to certify for 2 months and there is an issue. But SilencerShop doesn’t see an issue and the dealer doesn’t seem to care to help me. So I’m just sitting there in limbo for the past 2 months.
Ughh that's frustrating. I had a good experience with Silencer Shop, but I've heard of others that didn't get so lucky

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I see a couple of guys on here are using overbarrel/reflex suppressors. I have been pondering a rifle build recently using this kind. It would be a short barreled hunting rifle for hunting blacktail deer and rosie elk in thick coastal rainforests. The goal being having the shortest possible package.

Any advice, recommendations, lessons learned, etc. in regards to reflex/over barrel suppressors especially in regards to hunting applications?

That is a dealer issue, not a SilencerShop issue. The biggest problem is that if too many people are logged onto the sharing portal (which was a SS developed platform, BTW) it locks up.
From what I have seen most dealers are trying to do it first thing in the morning or during and right after lunch. Unfortunately, that is when everyone else is trying to do it too.
My dealer and I tried for 20 minutes the first time around. Then she said, hey, let me call you back around 6pm, if that is ok with you. I said sure and I was certified and in the system by 6:10.
You need to tell your dealer to stop being lazy and get it done.
Either that or just go there and do it in person so you don’t have to screenshare.
Yea well there is an error on my account that was created by SilencerShop. It’s an error. The encrypted coding is messed up. So it’s on SilencerShops end. But they can’t see the issue. The dealer doesn’t seem to have the time to be on hold waiting to talk to them. So I don’t know what a guy does now

I see a couple of guys on here are using overbarrel/reflex suppressors. I have been pondering a rifle build recently using this kind. It would be a short barreled hunting rifle for hunting blacktail deer and rosie elk in thick coastal rainforests. The goal being having the shortest possible package.

Any advice, recommendations, lessons learned, etc. in regards to reflex/over barrel suppressors especially in regards to hunting applications?
This is my first one and I havnt finished building it yet. Mine is also specifically for hunting and I plan on using it on a several rifles.

The issue with reflex suppressors are they need a specific mount. They can't really be used with large profile barrels unless you get a larger diameter suppressor. Inch per inch they are not as quiet as normal suppressors. I know I'm going to be sacrificing suppression with this reflex.

I'll try and start a separate thread on this build. Just know it's going to be picture heavy and I will try and explain they why and what's the best I can if yall would like.

fatbacks

WKR
No quick detach. I moved to direct thread after I thought it was properly attached and I found it 50 yards down range lol. Luckily only minor damage.
I would echo this. For my first can I went crazy and bought a bunch of QD muzzle devices which cost a pile of money when you add them all up. Sold most of them and now just run direct thread on almost all my rifles.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yea well there is an error on my account that was created by SilencerShop. It’s an error. The encrypted coding is messed up. So it’s on SilencerShops end. But they can’t see the issue. The dealer doesn’t seem to have the time to be on hold waiting to talk to them. So I don’t know what a guy does now
Man you got the shaft and definitely have a reason to be upset. Keep at it till it gets straitened out. You can always have it transferred to a dealer that does not go through silencershop at all.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Please do start a thread, I am very interested in your build and how everything shakes out.
This is my first one and I havnt finished building it yet. Mine is also specifically for hunting and I plan on using it on a several rifles.

The issue with reflex suppressors are they need a specific mount. They can't really be used with large profile barrels unless you get a larger diameter suppressor. Inch per inch they are not as quiet as normal suppressors. I know I'm going to be sacrificing suppression with this reflex.

I'll try and start a separate thread on this build. Just know it's going to be picture heavy and I will try and explain they why and what's the best I can if yall would like.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Suppressors are loud on supersonic ammo

Mirage is bad and will stop you shooting if you lack a wrap.

Wraps are flammable, no matter what they say.

Ouch, that’s hot…and I just melted a hole in my pack.

Oh crap, it’s loose and too hot to tighten it.

Wow, my POI shifted a ton.

Where did that water and rust come from in my barrel?

I have something in my eye that feels like unburnt gunpowder.

Cough cough…can’t breathe…gas gun.

Where’s my can? It was there when we started?

Maybe I did need those alignment rods to check bore alignment on my can, now the exit baffle is egg shaped.

It’s kinda like that, except heavy to carry.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Suppressors are loud on supersonic ammo

Mirage is bad and will stop you shooting if you lack a wrap.

Wraps are flammable, no matter what they say.

Ouch, that’s hot…and I just melted a hole in my pack.

Oh crap, it’s loose and too hot to tighten it.

Wow, my POI shifted a ton.

Where did that water and rust come from in my barrel?

I have something in my eye that feels like unburnt gunpowder.

Cough cough…can’t breathe…gas gun.

Where’s my can? It was there when we started?

Maybe I did need those alignment rods to check bore alignment on my can, now the exit baffle is egg shaped.

It’s kinda like that, except heavy to carry.
This is how it’s supposed to go? I guess I’m doing it wrong.

What cans are causing those problems of yours?

I'm an old miser... So let me piss off a few here with my diatribe... and this is based on the COST of stuff Vs. the "market" for "STUFF"... so please understand- I KNOW what metal cost (and what oil filters cost to make).

First let me say I appreciate a GOOD knife and a GOOD one (made in bulk) cost what is costs- not a lot. I can get an excellent knife for $40 today-- not custom. A CUSTOM knife ALSO costs what is costs... I get craftsmanship. I adore my custom knives and other items HAND made by an artist (and I've paid for several).

Maybe I just don't understand the "intricacies" involved in the making of a silencer... I admit it! To me it's a piece of metal machined to do what it does. BUT TO THIS DAY... I cannot understand WHY these things cost what they do!

No need to explain it to me guys... you're just not going to be able to convince me. I'm sure there are MANY reasons to justify the cost. But in my mind, it's NOT something that should cost more than about $100 based on other manufactured items of similar construction.

If China could export these, I KNOW they would cost next to nothing. Look at the amazing LED lights they sell for $30. Machined to perfection (from aluminum, not steel) with excellent electronics, polished aluminum reflectors, and milled from single stock. Maybe steel work cost more... but (again) in my mind- not more than 3 times as much.

Like everything else in our world today... reloading prices are THREE times what they were a few years ago- but I KNOW the COST to make them aren't up 300%. Yes, materials have gone up SOME as has labor... BUT not 300%.

Silencers just cost WAY more than I'll ever spend for what they are. When the market adjusts to what I feel it should be... I'll go buy 5 of them. But until then... they make no financial sense to me for what they give me.

My "two cents"... (and that explains my reasoning here to a tee).

All valid points- willingly adding oneself to another (yet more official) government list is a fair reason to be dissuaded also.

I think the price can be attributed to the legal complexities of building AND selling suppressors in the USA. In other countries with more lax restrictions on quieter shooting, one could argue it’s less of a big deal to grab a can as opposed to paying $200 for a tax stamp and waiting approximately a year to get approved, only to then manage laws, interstate travel, trusts, etc… After all of that I’d be willing to fork over some extra cash to avoid having to deal with a getting replacement should I ever wear out a can.

Also, while I’m not familiar with international gun laws and gun culture, but America seems to have a growing interest in short barreled ARs, which wreck more havoc on a suppressor warranting better (pricier) materials and construction, or barrel length restrictions.

All of this being said; I’ll be forking over some dough for a can or two at some point. A suppressed Ruger 22/45 is just too fun.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Zappa.

Anyone regret setting up a trust to handle their suppressor/NFA item habit? Besides the added complexity and an extra step in an already convoluted process, I’m not aware of many other downsides.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I've been happy with my AMTAC overbarrel suppressor. The only downside is I can't disassemble this particular model. I'm not sure how the noise suppression compares to a traditional 6" suppressor? That would be an interesting test to see

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Mine has regular threads and fits over a bull barrel. I'm interested in learning about your experiences though!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All valid points- willingly adding oneself to another (yet more official) government list is a fair reason to be dissuaded also.

I think the price can be attributed to the legal complexities of building AND selling suppressors in the USA. In other countries with more lax restrictions on quieter shooting, one could argue it’s less of a big deal to grab a can as opposed to paying $200 for a tax stamp and waiting approximately a year to get approved, only to then manage laws, interstate travel, trusts, etc… After all of that I’d be willing to fork over some extra cash to avoid having to deal with a getting replacement should I ever wear out a can.

Also, while I’m not familiar with international gun laws and gun culture, but America seems to have a growing interest in short barreled ARs, which wreck more havoc on a suppressor warranting better (pricier) materials and construction, or barrel length restrictions.

All of this being said; I’ll be forking over some dough for a can or two at some point. A suppressed Ruger 22/45 is just too fun.

Thanks for your thoughts on this Zappa.
Those suppressed 22 pistols are the best!!

Anyone tried a can on a 7mm Mag?

I know it won't be hearing safe - but maybe it will be less bothersome to other hunters, or maybe scare off fewer elk... ?

My "1 thing" would be this: For a suppressor for hunting, length and weight are much higher priorities than how many decibels of reduction you are going to get out of a particular suppressor.

The other "1 thing" I have learned in my 8 years of owning suppressors is this. Direct thread suppressors move from one rifle to another just as good, or better, than "Quick Detach".

I absolutely concur with both of these points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm an old miser... So let me piss off a few here with my diatribe... and this is based on the COST of stuff Vs. the "market" for "STUFF"... so please understand- I KNOW what metal cost (and what oil filters cost to make).

First let me say I appreciate a GOOD knife and a GOOD one (made in bulk) cost what is costs- not a lot. I can get an excellent knife for $40 today-- not custom. A CUSTOM knife ALSO costs what is costs... I get craftsmanship. I adore my custom knives and other items HAND made by an artist (and I've paid for several).

Maybe I just don't understand the "intricacies" involved in the making of a silencer... I admit it! To me it's a piece of metal machined to do what it does. BUT TO THIS DAY... I cannot understand WHY these things cost what they do!

No need to explain it to me guys... you're just not going to be able to convince me. I'm sure there are MANY reasons to justify the cost. But in my mind, it's NOT something that should cost more than about $100 based on other manufactured items of similar construction.

If China could export these, I KNOW they would cost next to nothing. Look at the amazing LED lights they sell for $30. Machined to perfection (from aluminum, not steel) with excellent electronics, polished aluminum reflectors, and milled from single stock. Maybe steel work cost more... but (again) in my mind- not more than 3 times as much.

Like everything else in our world today... reloading prices are THREE times what they were a few years ago- but I KNOW the COST to make them aren't up 300%. Yes, materials have gone up SOME as has labor... BUT not 300%.

Silencers just cost WAY more than I'll ever spend for what they are. When the market adjusts to what I feel it should be... I'll go buy 5 of them. But until then... they make no financial sense to me for what they give me.

My "two cents"... (and that explains my reasoning here to a tee).

You do realize that is costs more than just material and Bubba with his antique cracker box stick welder in his garage out of pipe and flat metal to build a suppressor I presume? Designers/engineers/people cost money, the building costs money, the equipment to mass produce the suppressors cost a LOT of money, the raw materials (some of them semi or even exotic metals) cost money, the liability insurance cost money….. I could go on but I hope you see the point.

I do agree they are pricey for what they are and do but it’s not as simple as you try to make it sound.

And I love every single one I have and will continue to buy more.

Anyone regret setting up a trust to handle their suppressor/NFA item habit? Besides the added complexity and an extra step in an already convoluted process, I’m not aware of many other downsides.

Absolutely not.

What added complexity and extra steps are you referring to?