The best bugle tube?

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve been running a “Bully Bull Grunt Tube” for a few years. I don’t have any complaints with it, but it is also the only one I’ve ever used and i don’t know if it gets any better. I’m thinking of getting a second tube because it is inevitable that I will lose it in the mountains and I want a spare and also because the tube I’m using has a small “mouth hole” which makes it tough to lip bawl. Are they are newer tubes that are noticeably better in one way or another? Are any of the new tubes superior to the Bully Bull (which is basically a whiffle bat with a baffle). Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
I have found that tubes are just like mouth reeds, you have to find the one that "fits" you. The one you are currently running is IMO- the best out there- for me

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I hear you. I’ve had to backtrack numerous times from when I set down my tube and started chasing a bull. I haven’t lost it yet, but it’s a matter of time. I still haven’t found a way to carry it that I don’t have to take it off or fiddle with it to call, but is secure enough that it doesn’t bounce and move around when running.

TravisIN

WKR
I switched to the Phelps unrivaled I think it sound pretty good. I can’t get as deep and i can’t seem to chuckle as well as I could with my bully. But it’s way smaller and less cumbersome. Not exactly Phelps or Jacobson either tho haha. If I could post video in here I’d post one for you to hear it

marktole

WKR
I’ve got the bully bull extreme (I think?) from Rocky Mountain hunting calls and it has a more open mouth end than the grunt tube model. I have used both and like the extreme better for that reason.

I have also used the Phelps Unleashed and like it as well. Will probably pick one up to have as a spare for all the reasons you mentioned.

As far as one being better than the other sound wise, I couldn’t tell a difference. I’d say all that mostly comes from the guy blowing the reed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still haven’t found a way to carry it that I don’t have to take it off or fiddle with it to call, but is secure enough that it doesn’t bounce and move around when running.

I keep mine under my right arm (bow arm) with the paracord around my neck. It's always where I need it and never gets in the way........even when running. Piece of cake to just bring it up to my mouth to use, and let it go when I'm done.

I hear you. I’ve had to backtrack numerous times from when I set down my tube and started chasing a bull. I haven’t lost it yet, but it’s a matter of time. I still haven’t found a way to carry it that I don’t have to take it off or fiddle with it to call, but is secure enough that it doesn’t bounce and move around when running.

Do you run a lot during calling sessions? I found some orange shock cord and tied it on mine. That helped a lot.

QPOIKDjbVGuzoi6eE48j_8rfH5gNN_xuFpmkzxM6HOto5V5A02zc986u0IvqqDpu-Kn9qF_ZGWsg6ZkWa7OJVpFNNZ5khTljJ7eHEOMQDKpTxfwV2dEUvA5t40ss70hl8xbPDamRS7YpKl0sbo6DP-juFBIUKYPyhf1RCW9TsBKncGyO9ygCbpgHb_3jqQRz9PUDNUGnqxfe9Op3JDiyXBeos3ksQalweQTbLHYJqJyH296DOxWqUSzHVHLV3XuuPx1dM1a3BgBrFyul5HFLbqhX-uCHZ-ZsWUwF3HI4SPg4UxNFmgIAz0oobvOxBvz6SYl9f8VwgSLoNFZrdmuExGzEmWuqDNJn3rAoyS1TqzjXuG8niD4W-qKrv-Ldl_m98YbqdMEOKcQZHt4OIYH_7_IKsvgNnogDsYXrDUml8-UYgwtD0SFnM8ThAVVlzBCvqsfxtqpWZ_ExoV5BWuC_ebbIdFD4CjSlKBkPyhtDGPuJS_H_VkHDje4QdkpnUnTdieRHFts4MRsNCvujVACpZ49UaA8QXHl55i0t81jwwZO62g5becO2LQp2LOx4qC16mos3Kk0VMv6aBTP9P2Y9qIGMios5q1sql8PaSp4uRxzbqbg1sGX4mk3qLKN4b3nsr3EpDgdt3WgpMAfg7vNoctc6nJ2h_H0=w597-h1227-no
LDPMShcMxqMPK9wRzzJ3vwHCtv13cKNerya5XYLVMeK1IJFYjQF4JmGXQ8EdW1kpgNYka-tJRKC2cIYqkA4VjH7xUxOJ9ClqP7oDlMdPJ-Blrq4HR5QDBNbm8dnTTd_5ucRWT-wtStFDiTnkNh-mCRB5f0YCuj_Id_H5jvfnV1AJfZXV8nDdFHoroOPrStCDhlMk1Otl1aezMxLtycSh5fiKYc4sF2S5fXl8wbIi6G-pZq3NRBPeR45BaQ0CVGNTR_uC6LnBsJvUweDbwVdeRTsi4GM5wkL5vFayiWcYhml8mO-bCzBonzTBKZJmM-8RtmKi8mIpHXG4CUwn57A0FPDDgXTHWUglTBjN2HXtWmiukq6HFB9lpswXwA9noWptaEGpLFPvbB_5Pmt8_ICLWC7zx9_bHOV3it2H6qtl057Wn_tRvKCCPLCnmf0iv5EPidtsVQFUoy776c2HxY3Ha3tDv3cFspXy30G7V0A1SbVIeU3vWJ1tGkTUUhIH3sVURyYhEkJZcSzTDmOIXCyfYn_3c-3eBNEU1QuPOCfHiqL0CGTErElAf0tM_Z36W3LDDoIwxJMSLEim2eSc-Lgm7-ZRLupGJwc9kafdimrJDZy-DVYEFEn_XiP8tJgSTWvxDteen59nT2uKHnqpzJQ4-SAnLlWey8I=w597-h1227-no

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Do you run a lot during calling sessions? I found some orange shock cord and tied it on mine. That helped a lot.

QPOIKDjbVGuzoi6eE48j_8rfH5gNN_xuFpmkzxM6HOto5V5A02zc986u0IvqqDpu-Kn9qF_ZGWsg6ZkWa7OJVpFNNZ5khTljJ7eHEOMQDKpTxfwV2dEUvA5t40ss70hl8xbPDamRS7YpKl0sbo6DP-juFBIUKYPyhf1RCW9TsBKncGyO9ygCbpgHb_3jqQRz9PUDNUGnqxfe9Op3JDiyXBeos3ksQalweQTbLHYJqJyH296DOxWqUSzHVHLV3XuuPx1dM1a3BgBrFyul5HFLbqhX-uCHZ-ZsWUwF3HI4SPg4UxNFmgIAz0oobvOxBvz6SYl9f8VwgSLoNFZrdmuExGzEmWuqDNJn3rAoyS1TqzjXuG8niD4W-qKrv-Ldl_m98YbqdMEOKcQZHt4OIYH_7_IKsvgNnogDsYXrDUml8-UYgwtD0SFnM8ThAVVlzBCvqsfxtqpWZ_ExoV5BWuC_ebbIdFD4CjSlKBkPyhtDGPuJS_H_VkHDje4QdkpnUnTdieRHFts4MRsNCvujVACpZ49UaA8QXHl55i0t81jwwZO62g5becO2LQp2LOx4qC16mos3Kk0VMv6aBTP9P2Y9qIGMios5q1sql8PaSp4uRxzbqbg1sGX4mk3qLKN4b3nsr3EpDgdt3WgpMAfg7vNoctc6nJ2h_H0=w597-h1227-no
LDPMShcMxqMPK9wRzzJ3vwHCtv13cKNerya5XYLVMeK1IJFYjQF4JmGXQ8EdW1kpgNYka-tJRKC2cIYqkA4VjH7xUxOJ9ClqP7oDlMdPJ-Blrq4HR5QDBNbm8dnTTd_5ucRWT-wtStFDiTnkNh-mCRB5f0YCuj_Id_H5jvfnV1AJfZXV8nDdFHoroOPrStCDhlMk1Otl1aezMxLtycSh5fiKYc4sF2S5fXl8wbIi6G-pZq3NRBPeR45BaQ0CVGNTR_uC6LnBsJvUweDbwVdeRTsi4GM5wkL5vFayiWcYhml8mO-bCzBonzTBKZJmM-8RtmKi8mIpHXG4CUwn57A0FPDDgXTHWUglTBjN2HXtWmiukq6HFB9lpswXwA9noWptaEGpLFPvbB_5Pmt8_ICLWC7zx9_bHOV3it2H6qtl057Wn_tRvKCCPLCnmf0iv5EPidtsVQFUoy776c2HxY3Ha3tDv3cFspXy30G7V0A1SbVIeU3vWJ1tGkTUUhIH3sVURyYhEkJZcSzTDmOIXCyfYn_3c-3eBNEU1QuPOCfHiqL0CGTErElAf0tM_Z36W3LDDoIwxJMSLEim2eSc-Lgm7-ZRLupGJwc9kafdimrJDZy-DVYEFEn_XiP8tJgSTWvxDteen59nT2uKHnqpzJQ4-SAnLlWey8I=w597-h1227-no

Yeah. I’ll call and then hustle to get in position on a herd. It’s mountain running, which looks more like small bursts of jogging, followed by long periods of sucking wind and wondering where my bugle tube is.

ElkNut1

WKR
You can't go wrong with either Bugling Bull Bugles or Phelps Larger Bugle of the two he has. Your Bugle is only as good as its user.

No need to run too hard after bugles if you wait for them to get to their destination/bedding area. That's where most bulls are taken. Bulls on the move or in transition are the most difficult to call or stalk to. Nothing like bugling bulls! Ha Ha!

ElkNut/Paul

ridgefire

WKR
I have used the latest Phelps tube and the bully bull tube and prefer the small end on the bully bull. Fastest bull I have ever called in was with the like chuckler tho

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
You can't go wrong with either Bugling Bull Bugles or Phelps Larger Bugle of the two he has. Your Bugle is only as good as its user.

No need to run too hard after bugles if you wait for them to get to their destination/bedding area. That's where most bulls are taken. Bulls on the move or in transition are the most difficult to call or stalk to. Nothing like bugling bulls! Ha Ha!

ElkNut/Paul

I’m generally not running after the bugles... I’m trying to run to cut them off. It’s damn near impossible to catch them from behind and I’ve never had too much luck trying to turn them around when they have a destination in mind. If I know where they are and where they are going, sometimes I can get there before them. I’ll definitely try the larger bugles. You can never have too much resonance and depth when trying to sound like a real bull.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It’s mountain running, which looks more like small bursts of jogging, followed by long periods of sucking wind and wondering where my bugle tube is.

Your tube is around your neck and under your arm where it should be.;)

It's kind of like the guys you see on TV that take their quiver off and set it on the ground (yikes), and then need to move and they're fumbling around trying to grab their quiver.........or worse yet, they leave it behind.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
No need to run too hard after bugles if you wait for them to get to their destination/bedding area. That's where most bulls are taken. Bulls on the move or in transition are the most difficult to call or stalk to.

I knew I was doing something wrong, Paul. Every archery bull I've taken except one was in transition and on the move. I run a lot during elk season, but that's just my mentality. This year I might try sleeping in and head to their bedding areas late morning and give that a try.:D

ElkNut1

WKR
Mike, yes I've taken them in transition & in the bedding area, I've found way more success at calling them over once they are where they want to be, they rarely leave or run off at that time unless I'm seen or winded, other than that they're in trouble! (grin) -- I don't hunt like the youtube guys, we are up at 4:15 every morn & on the mountain generally an hour before light listening & calling sparingly to locate bulls. I hunt dark timber bulls, most bulls that are in these areas feed & bed in close proximity. They can hear me or I can hear them talking anytime of morning, midday or evening because they don't travel far from their dark timbered homes!

More open country elk rarely do this, they are more likely to travel a 1/2 mile to several miles between nighttime bedding/feeding to daytime bedding areas.

I would venture a guess Cougar is hunting elk in open to semi open negotiable terrain & not in dark downfall littered timber where dogging them is nearly impossible.

ElkNut/Paul

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Mike, yes I've taken them in transition & in the bedding area, I've found way more success at calling them over once they are where they want to be, they rarely leave or run off at that time unless I'm seen or winded, other than that they're in trouble! (grin) -- I don't hunt like the youtube guys, we are up at 4:15 every morn & on the mountain generally an hour before light listening & calling sparingly to locate bulls. I hunt dark timber bulls, most bulls that are in these areas feed & bed in close proximity. They can hear me or I can hear them talking anytime of morning, midday or evening because they don't travel far from their dark timbered homes!

More open country elk rarely do this, they are more likely to travel a 1/2 mile to several miles between nighttime bedding/feeding to daytime bedding areas.

I would venture a guess Cougar is hunting elk in open to semi open negotiable terrain & not in dark downfall littered timber where dogging them is nearly impossible.

ElkNut/Paul

That is correct. I’m hunting AZ and NM primarily and the terrain is mostly open. They can travel quite a distance between feed, water, and bedding. The last place I want to be is directly behind a herd on the move! I’ll get a bead on their direction, strap down my kit, and book it for a mile to end-around the herd. Even then, it is hit and miss to get in front of them! Those suckers are fast even when they are walking.

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
LOL! You are so right sir! Even when elk are at a leisurely pace it's super tough to keep up with them! Sounds like you are handling in a smart way, good luck to you!

p.s. When I was at the World Elk Calling Championship last year I was fortunate to hear a variety of Bugle Tones from the top callers around, some bugles were better than others. The top two in my opinion was Phelps big bugle & Bugling Bulls bugle. I would have to say after hearing them repeatedly that the Phelps bugle edged out the Bugling Bull bugle no matter who was using what. The Phelps bugle had deeper tone & all around the best sound tones & resonance. Just food for thought!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
LOL! You are so right sir! Even when elk are at a leisurely pace it's super tough to keep up with them! Sounds like you are handling in a smart way, good luck to you!

p.s. When I was at the World Elk Calling Championship last year I was fortunate to hear a variety of Bugle Tones from the top callers around, some bugles were better than others. The top two in my opinion was Phelps big bugle & Bugling Bulls bugle. I would have to say after hearing them repeatedly that the Phelps bugle edged out the Bugling Bull bugle no matter who was using what. The Phelps bugle had deeper tone & all around the best sound tones & resonance. Just food for thought!

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks, that is exactly the information I was looking for!